Old Cloudcroft Highway Trail Loop

Old Cloudcroft Highway Trail Loop is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cloudcroft, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

Great views and kid friendly!

Trail was great and lots of wildlife, trail maps on app are confusing as they do not match trail maps. Example: app says 2.8 miles but the are 8+ miles of trails in this trail system. We were happy with the eight miles!

amazing trail! the weather was perfect and I love how you can see White sands from there!!

1 month living in the desert, this was a welcome treat. trees, sunshine,a little snow. We trekked with our dog and 4yr old. lots of other trails, we will be back soon.

Great trail, particularly in the snow covered tracks!

Me and my girlfriends had a great hike, with a great view!

With a toddler, it's one of the best hikes we have been on since moving here. He loves looking at the animal information signs and finding hiking sticks. The railroad is one of his favorite things to look at. and by the time we finish he is so tired we can hardly keep his eyes open. on the way back home. We love this one!

It’s a lovely trail with a great view easy for kiddos and dogs. However if you go after a rain be weary the rocks make it a tad slick

Took my 5 and 3 year old. Took it slow. 5 year old did good, but 3 year old couldn't hang.

the trails are well marked and easy to follow. I went on a sunday morning and the trail wasn't too congested with pedestrian traffic.

it was a good hike down to the trestle. the way back was slightly more difficult but there are some benches for you to stop and take a break.

I wish there were more scenic views but that is my only complaint.

Wide trails, very scenic and beautiful views, lots of history happened on the Mexican trestle it was nice to see in person

First hike of the trip...and it was beautiful!

Given the reviews, I found this hike really underwhelming. It's a nice walk through the trees. I wouldn't call the views amazing. You can look down the Canyon out to white sands, but only a bit of the horizon is visible. The Canyon is well forested, but there are houses visible, and you're also close enough to the highway that traffic noise is noticeable through 2/3 of the hike. The trail is well kept and well marked.

If you're going to do this hike, I would start by taking the loop east (clockwise on a map). That way you have a long downhill, followed by a short steep-ish set of switchbacks to the trestle, then back to the parking lot. The trestle is the "climax" of the hike, so if you do it the other way, you see the big sight in 1/4 mile, and are left with a long uphill climb back to the parking lot. This also puts the Canyon views to your back.

Amazing views!

Amazing views

Wow, what a beautiful hike this is! We had done several hikes in Ruidoso, but this one near Cloudcroft was the most beautiful. For the most part you hike under this shaded forest canopy. Although you can at times hear the cars on the near highway, the breeze and birds are always around you. When you finally reached the old Mexican train trestle, you have a pleasant and close view of the work that took place years ago.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Nice hike and view of White Sands. Mostly shaded, in the trees, and nice breeze. Trail marker signs don't match the trail names they list on the board at the trailhead. They do have alphanumeric markers that help keep you on track. Recommend grabbing a map to help you navigate or you may end up on a longer hike than you planned. There are quite a few trails here that interconnect.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great day hike. Interesting history of the railway tressles.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Nice little hike to get a nice little walk in then go into cloudcroft and get some great food.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Woohoo!

Monday, November 21, 2016

The trail is in good care and at the weekends is a little traffic. There are some waterspots in the spring and autumn. Good for hiking with kids or dogs. Otherwise are there some pokestops for the kids and many pokemons on trail.

Thursday, November 17, 2016

Awesome trail. I would put in between easy and moderate if you're not used to the altitude though. Despite what the sign says, go walk out on the tressle. Its awesome. Great Trail.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Nice trail through forests, nice views.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Solid easy trail, the bridge at the end provides a good incentive.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Love this trail. Very easy , nice parking and there's bathrooms at the trail head. We were able to take beautiful pictures and our dogs loved it!

Monday, September 12, 2016

a lot of different views! such a fun trail. you can't actually walk on the wooden tressel which was disappointing but over such a good hike.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great trail! We walked with a 6yo and it was good for her age. I will recommend for families it require average condition.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016