Oak Flat Loop is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tijeras, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Loop

Loved the open space and the weather was gorgeous hiked it today but next week will ride it

Beautiful trail. The trails are well marked. Great views of pines and piñon trees. Be aware that either some of the trails have changed or the map is wrong because when you are on pokerchip trail getting to mahogany trail the all trails app appears that you are off trail. Just study the trail names that you have to take before you start your hike and follow the trails and you’ll get back fine. When we went out, there were signs of recent heavy equipment work near some of the trails. It appeared a bulldozer went by. We enjoyed some rain and saw several squirrels. Overall, a wonderful hike.

This map is completely wrong. It gives you a vague idea, but shows you on the wrong place most of the time. Some of the trails have clearly changed, and they have closed off those trails, but this app shows that that is the way you need to go. This loop is not correct at all and I would not recommend using this app. The area itself is quite beautiful, but also quite muddy.

icy

Dear GOD, the MUD. I bet it’s gorgeous in the summer and fall, but it took me so long to hike this one because of the mud. There’s also something wrong with the app, my phone’s GPS, or the maps on the app. 5 miles suddenly turned into 6.5 and the app was constantly telling me I was going off the route (which then crashed the app) even though I was on marked paths. Hmm.

This is a beautiful trail for all to ride, I would like to remind everyone that horses have the right of way in all situations. It's sad when just a few ruin it for all. We encountered some bicyclists that were very rude on this trail this past weekend, refused to yield to the horses which caused them to spook. This can be very dangerous for the horse, rider, and cyclist. Please be courteous and when you come across horse and rider, stop your bike and pull over. We will always do our best to get out of the way quickly. Also, watch those blind corners and your speed, hitting a horse with your bike can be life threatening to it's rider. Thank you to all, we can co-exist, we have using these trails long before mountain biking became a thing. :)

If walking with dog, best to do during weekday. Everyone is friendly enough though. Easier to give way to faster moving. Sometimes Rocky, sometimes soft walking. Just watch your step.

Fresh bear tracks, but no bears.

Great trail, nice flora. We followed the advice below and parked at Pine Flats, took the Pine flat connector, then left on Gamble Oak, Right on a small portion of Porkerchip. At the Caida del pino/Gamble oak fork we chose to continue on Gamble Oak, as it was raining. The next fork confused us a little (Pine Loop/Gamble Oak), but we finally chose to take the right leg, to gamble oak. Which was a good thing as we found the Pine Flat connector right after. It took us about 2hrs (but we stopped many times at forks). Would do it again, and the longer loop this time !

Tue Jun 04 2019

Tue Mar 05 2019

Nice trail that isn't too hard. Sometimes traffic noise is more than I prefer, but it is a nice trail.

Thu Apr 05 2018

Nice, peaceful and mellow hike with rolling hills. Not very rocky (except in a few areas). You can save yourself 10 minutes driving and get on the trails quicker (if you’re coming from I-40) by parking at Pine Flat and taking the Pine Flat Connector to the loop. Total length about 5.5 miles, and a slight addition in climb (though it’s gradual). Another advantage of doing it this way is that the substantial climb (about .6 miles from Pokerchip onto Mahogany) is in the middle of the hike, instead of at the end, as it is if you start at Oak Flat. There are a lot of intersections and I had to pull my phone out to wayfind a lot the first time. From Pine Flat, to go clockwise, just remember it’s all right turns EXCEPT at Gambel Oak (meeting the loop), Caida Del Pino, Pine Loop, and Pine Flat Connector (heading back to the car).

Sun Jul 02 2017

great ride and a beautiful evening

Wed Mar 15 2017

great fun trail

Sat Sep 19 2015

Love this trail! It's great in the evening! It's nice to bike, but a lovely hike too.. But every time we hike it, we wish we were on our bikes!

recorded Oak Flat Loop