North Crest Trail

North Crest Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Placitas, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

I loved this hike. I started on the North Crest and finished the loop in the same spot that I started following the Agua Sarca Trail. I didnt record it but will soon. I hiked the first half and met the Agua Sarca Trail which is a there and back with a long tail that is very hard due to navagation. There were definitely hard spots on both! Steep rocky terrain, but its well worth the pain just for the PT, views and pics! After hiking half way up the NCT I followed a few well placed cairns and a bearing and found my way to the Agua Sarca Trail. I wouldnt recommend this way for someone who doesnt know how to read a map and compass. Basic land nav. is a must on this one. I needed to recheck my bearing several times during the portion. Again I was using a map and didnt have this wonderful app on this phone, but easy enough. I hiked a bit thru the bush. The trail was hard to see but manageable. I finished where I started at the Agua Sarca, North Crest and Tight Rope TH's. Take this variation, its a great hike with amazing pictures. I recommend a lunch and all of your own water, cooking as well, because its sparse on this one. I carried a pack that was roughly 30lbs with 4l of water, my lunch, my cookware and a few other SHTF items just incase. I do recommend a lunch. It took me about 7 or so hours. Ill take this one again soon and track it juat incase it hasent been... but Im sure it has. I hope this helps! See out out there.

Took this out and back hike beginning with the Ojo Del Orno Trail at the Tunnel Spring trail head instead of the longer Crest Trail. The Ojo Trail intersects the Crest Trail after .8 miles of difficult steep hiking but does save about an hour. Continuing to head south on the Crest Trail spectacular views of the western Rio Grand Valley open up in multiple places during this hike to 10,000 feet. The most awesome gnarly Aspen forest at nearly 10000 feet took my breath away. Snow drifts on the trail to North Sandia Peak discouraged me from going the last 500 feet. This trail will not disappoint.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Started out on the North Crest and ventured back via Agua Sarca for a pretty challenging 13 mile day hike. Stunning views. Best trail in late spring and early autumn.

Being plenty of water. Wear shoes/boots with good, thick tread as there are many spots with sketchy stability and the trail is considerably rocky in many areas. The finished portions of the trail are often filled with baseball sized stones. After a few hours these will kill your feet in regular shoes.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

North Crest Trail is a very nice hike with a lot of variety. We started just after 8AM and ended by being picked up by a car at the top of the Sandia Crest. 10.3 miles and pretty amazing elevation gain (as the images will show). It took us just over 5 hours.
My friend from Canada near sea level was a trooper. Since I was stopping to take pictures fairly often he led the way and was in several of my shots. Mid September was a good time to hike because it was cool and the leaves were changing.
The trail is fairly well marked and has some really special views of the Sandia range and Albuquerque as well as mountains to the north, west and east. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 14, 2016