Nogal Summit

Nogal Summit is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alto, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Long and bumpy drive to get there. Sure am glad we brought our truck.. Pretty but will be much prettier in the summer when the trees are all green and there are more flowers.

Took me a little over 2.5 hours roundtrip but I began hiking up the service road. I recommend either starting at the bottom of 108 or parking at one of the two clearings along the road if you want a longer and more challenging hike. The final steep is tricky due to loose rocks but definitely worth the effort and part of the fun. Should have packed a second layer as it was super windy at the summit, otherwise it was a great hike.

Great hike with a great view at the top. It’s harder as you get closer to the peak. I’m 6 foot 290 pounds, and it took me 2.5 hours to get up with a dozen stops, and 45 minutes to get down. It is harder coming down at the peak because of the grade and loose rock.

great hike! harder than moderate but well worth it!

Great views. It’s a tough hike but the short distance makes up for it. Loose rocks in spots so coming back down can be tricky.

great trail. summer rains have beautiful wildflowers growing. 2nd time this summer. will complete again in fall just to see the changes in landscape

Great hike but if hesitate to rate this trail Moderate. The final mile is steep and the trail is loose, not packed. Otherwise, great views, cool breeze and we'll worth the trip.

Toughest 1 mile I have hiked. The amazing view at the end was worth it! keep your eyes open for elk, turkey, and horny toads.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Nogal was an interesting Peak - as there are "no" switchbacks - just a straight uphill climb. There are several places with loose rock where you need to watch your footing going up AND down , but no crosstimbered steps going up that can get old - just a few rocky places to actually step up at. Overall I appreciated the style of trail rather than the 100 switchback method of gaining elevation. Highly recommended - a nice reward at the summit

Friday, June 09, 2017

Beautiful views at the top and all along the way.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

I live in Ruidoso so I've done this hike six times and I never regret it. The views change depending on the time of year with Fall being the prettiest. Don't make the mistake of going straight at about 3/4 up, you take a sharp right then continue straight to the top. Probably my favorite hike in the White Mt Widerness.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Very nice hike that is worth the effort!

Sunday, July 16, 2017