Nambe Lake Trail

Nambe Lake Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2089 feet

This trail was great! The start of the trail (at Windsor trail head) was a steep climb getting you ready for what was in store when you got to the last 1 - 3/4 mile. As previously stated in the other reviews, the last bit of the hike wasn’t well marked, but through the ice we were able to navigate the correct path, leading to breathtaking views. We were able to stand on the frozen lake. Hiking the trail in December definitely added difficulty with the steep slippery climbs. Definitely wanting to hike this again in the summer!!! Must do!

Tough trail but well worth your trouble!

Super fun and the dogs loved swimming in the lake while we ate lunch!

Great hike. Afternoon, no-one was on the trail. It was awesome having the place to myself. A little steep and slippery at the end as I was there after a rare significant rain shower. Worth going to the falls, view is fantastic.

Amazing trail! The climb was rather challenging, but well worth it. However, the final 3/4-1 mile the trail is very difficult to follow as it seemingly appears and disappears at random. I ran into several people trying to get back on trail. I would love to hike this in the summer and see if the lack of snow/ice made the trail any easier to follow.

The last bit is quite difficult but the view at the lake is definitely worth it.

Sitting on the edge of the lake as I type this... what a beautiful trail. It exceeded all of our expectations. Sadly, we missed the turning of the aspens but we soon forgot about that as there is so much more scenery to take it. It is mostly uphill on the way to the lake, definitely not for the faint of heart or the out of shape. Will definitely come back. 100% recommend to anyone looking for a challenging climb and breathtaking views.

Challenging, but rewarding hike!

This was the first difficult trail I did during my time in NM. It was very challenging for me due to the steep incline (that at seems to never end) and my lack of acclimation to the altitude at the time I completed it. That being said, the creek along much of the trail and surrounding trees and flowers are very pretty. The lake is small and shallow but still very pretty. It was really cool to me, coming from SC, to see how much the surroundings changed along the trail throughout the hike (most trails in the Santa Fe National Forest are this way). I was most impressed with myself for being able to make it to the lake, despite being passed by a guy who was trail running up it! Pretty cool hike to do if you are in the area. To say the trail is "rocky" is an understatement as parts of the trails are nothing but rocks... be sure to wear your hiking boots!

This is a great hike! Once you turn off the Windsor trail it gets quite steep, and you think we must be close at least 3x before you are actually close. But it’s worth the effort! There are lots of paths up to the lake, they all go the same place, just stay close to the creek and you’ll be fine. My gps said it was just under 8 miles, so a bit more than it’s listed as.

The last mile is pretty exhausting, but the lake was worth the effort.

Wow! Hard but worth the walk! Trail is not well marked so pay attention! It took us about 3 hrs to get there and 2 hours home! First section is a pretty good climb with the second section a bit flatter but rocky terrain! Third section is a big climb, keep going it's worth it! Be sure to walk around the lake once you get there as every view is spectacular!

Tough incline, but beautiful lake at the top. Stream flows with trail for peaceful bonus. Not well marked, so bring a map. Bring snacks and plenty of water. Recommend hiking boots and camelbacks. Don't bring your dogs unless that can handle the incline and stream crossings. We saw too many dogs on the trail that were struggling. Several hikers were complaining at the top because they were wearing sneakers, ran out of water and didn't bring food. Be prepared.

It was a great Hike! We are beginners and probably were not ready. We took our time though and it was definitely with the work. Lots of uphill and pretty rocky but I loved it!

Fantastic trail. Just beautiful !

Lost the trail a few times but overall a very pretty hike.

Overall a nice trail, but the trail is a little hard to follow as you get closer to the lake. On a weekday there were a few other groups, but it wasn't crowded. On a sunny day it was still nice and cool at the lake with beautiful views.

Trail is somewhat poorly marked after the split off to Nambe, the trail is easier on the left side of the river going up. However if you do go off trail onthewayup you are rewarded with perhaps the best view of the whole hike when you hit the big boulder field and rock cliff off to the right of the actual trail. You can see this area's elevation change clearly on the topographical map of the trail.

Did Nambe Lake with my husband and dog on Sunday 8/13. Started around 10:30 AM. The hike is a little over 3 miles each way. The first mile is fairly steep but not too rocky. The second mile gets a little rockier but is mostly level/downhill. At a little over 2 miles, the trail splits; stay to the right for Nambe Lake and left to continue to Lake Katherine. The last mile is rather difficult, as it is rocky and steep. The trail gets a bit hard to follow. The lake is small but very pretty. There are a few nice places to have lunch. Unfortunately, some people were not following the signs (and common sense guidelines) not to camp within 200 feet of the lake. There are a few river crossings, but they weren't challenging. It took us about 1:40 to get to the lake and 1:30 to come back. The unfortunate thing about this trail is that it is heavily traveled. On the way back to the car, we had to stop many times for large groups, and some slower groups in front of us refused to let us pass. There is plenty of parking in a large lot across the road from the trailhead. I don't think I'll do this trail again. If I do, I'll start earlier to avoid some of the crowds. Overall, I would rate it as more moderate than hard.

Definitely a hike of consistent elevation change with some pretty steep climbs, but this trail is beautiful and the lake is a great place to wind down, have a drink, and eat some lunch in a peaceful and beautiful setting. Though it's a difficult hike it's well worth it.