Nambe Lake Trail

Nambe Lake Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2089 feet

The last bit is quite difficult but the view at the lake is definitely worth it.

Sitting on the edge of the lake as I type this... what a beautiful trail. It exceeded all of our expectations. Sadly, we missed the turning of the aspens but we soon forgot about that as there is so much more scenery to take it. It is mostly uphill on the way to the lake, definitely not for the faint of heart or the out of shape. Will definitely come back. 100% recommend to anyone looking for a challenging climb and breathtaking views.

Challenging, but rewarding hike!

This was the first difficult trail I did during my time in NM. It was very challenging for me due to the steep incline (that at seems to never end) and my lack of acclimation to the altitude at the time I completed it. That being said, the creek along much of the trail and surrounding trees and flowers are very pretty. The lake is small and shallow but still very pretty. It was really cool to me, coming from SC, to see how much the surroundings changed along the trail throughout the hike (most trails in the Santa Fe National Forest are this way). I was most impressed with myself for being able to make it to the lake, despite being passed by a guy who was trail running up it! Pretty cool hike to do if you are in the area. To say the trail is "rocky" is an understatement as parts of the trails are nothing but rocks... be sure to wear your hiking boots!

This is a great hike! Once you turn off the Windsor trail it gets quite steep, and you think we must be close at least 3x before you are actually close. But it’s worth the effort! There are lots of paths up to the lake, they all go the same place, just stay close to the creek and you’ll be fine. My gps said it was just under 8 miles, so a bit more than it’s listed as.

9/16 Nambe Lake hike starts at the Santa Fe Ski Area parking lot. There are bathrooms at the trailhead (stinky but adequate). The trail starts off fairly steep, then levels off at a ridge line with a fence. Evergreens give way to Aspens, some just starting to turn. You can glimpse through the trees the opposite ridge and peaks. You lose elevation and then hit a stream where the next tough assent starts. It has been stated in a few reviews but I’ll confirm that the path is not well marked. If you are heading up the valley with the stream you are probably doing okay. My Alltrails map with my location tracker was handy to reassure us since neither me nor my companion had done this trail before. Lots of roots and rocks so take care and stop as needed.
The lake is at the base of a rock slide where the two ridges meet. People were on the ridge ~1000 feet above us. The lake is a nice peaceful reward for a strenuous climb. I walked around the lake and took pictures. We took some time to have lunch and then headed back.

The last mile is pretty exhausting, but the lake was worth the effort.

Wow! Hard but worth the walk! Trail is not well marked so pay attention! It took us about 3 hrs to get there and 2 hours home! First section is a pretty good climb with the second section a bit flatter but rocky terrain! Third section is a big climb, keep going it's worth it! Be sure to walk around the lake once you get there as every view is spectacular!

Tough incline, but beautiful lake at the top. Stream flows with trail for peaceful bonus. Not well marked, so bring a map. Bring snacks and plenty of water. Recommend hiking boots and camelbacks. Don't bring your dogs unless that can handle the incline and stream crossings. We saw too many dogs on the trail that were struggling. Several hikers were complaining at the top because they were wearing sneakers, ran out of water and didn't bring food. Be prepared.