Nambe Lake Trail

Nambe Lake Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Did Nambe Lake with my husband and dog on Sunday 8/13. Started around 10:30 AM. The hike is a little over 3 miles each way. The first mile is fairly steep but not too rocky. The second mile gets a little rockier but is mostly level/downhill. At a little over 2 miles, the trail splits; stay to the right for Nambe Lake and left to continue to Lake Katherine. The last mile is rather difficult, as it is rocky and steep. The trail gets a bit hard to follow. The lake is small but very pretty. There are a few nice places to have lunch. Unfortunately, some people were not following the signs (and common sense guidelines) not to camp within 200 feet of the lake. There are a few river crossings, but they weren't challenging. It took us about 1:40 to get to the lake and 1:30 to come back. The unfortunate thing about this trail is that it is heavily traveled. On the way back to the car, we had to stop many times for large groups, and some slower groups in front of us refused to let us pass. There is plenty of parking in a large lot across the road from the trailhead. I don't think I'll do this trail again. If I do, I'll start earlier to avoid some of the crowds. Overall, I would rate it as more moderate than hard.

Definitely a hike of consistent elevation change with some pretty steep climbs, but this trail is beautiful and the lake is a great place to wind down, have a drink, and eat some lunch in a peaceful and beautiful setting. Though it's a difficult hike it's well worth it.

Wear your water shoes! Weekends are busy.

Great views of aspens and meadows about a five hour out and back hike at a leisurely pace

I adore this trail, it's gorgeous, we've been twice now! I'm not sure I would agree it's "hard" more "moderate." I guess if you don't hike regularly than it might be considered hard. I suppose the length and elevation are the two things that will kick your ass a bit but it's generally a leisurely walk thru a lovely forest full of greenery and wild flowers. Excellent hike for dogs because of the many times rivers intersect the trail. Enjoy!

It's hard. It's worth it.

Absolutely gorgeous hike! From wandering through the aspen groves to following the mountain stream to the well-earned reward of Nambe Lake after a challenging uphill trek - this was every thing I look for in a hike!

Challenging, when you get to the Lake, you feel like you accomplished a hike. Strenuous but rewarding. Watch out coming down. I slipped and fell. Good shoes are needed. We also use trekking poles.