Learn more

Mount Taylor via Gooseberry Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Fidel, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.2 mi Elevation gain 2,017 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (158)
Recordings (75)
Completed (189)
Sam Onesalt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

The trail was uncomfortable, personally. There were too many rocks on the trail, on the way back down, I slipped so many times because of the rocks and uneven footing. Some trees branches are covering the trail. There’s a section that is very straight at a pretty good incline. That part, I wish there were switchbacks. The view at the summit is nice, but the amount of bugs weren’t. Overall, an ‘ok’ hike. Land acknowledgment of Indigenous People should be practiced at every trail.

DW OBRIAN
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 26 2020

This was an amazing hike. The constant elevation gain is the hardest aspect of this hike. The trail is easy to follow and mostly without rocks. We saw deer, lots of birds, an angry pregnant cow that wasn't happy to see us and some mountain lion scat on the way down that wasn't there on the way up. The views like the altitude are breathtaking.

Roland Taylor
HikingRocky

Trail was awesome! Great mix of scenery. Start off in a forest which has cows that just appear on the trail. Forest opens to a meadow and it is a steady inclines dirt path. Beautiful scenery. After the meadow it is a scramble up switch backs which have a pretty good grade. Take plenty of water and a snack for the summit. Beautiful nearly 360 degree views. My teenagers made it pretty good.

Jessica Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 18 2020
Hiking

Beautiful views. Great workout. Did this later in the day on a Sunday. Saw 3 groups (one on horses) on the way up but had the whole summit & hike out to myself.

Alexandria Felicia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
Hiking

As you're driving in, take the second Forest Service 193 Road. As others have said, it has a parking lot on the left; it will lead you straight to the trailhead. If you take the first, you'll only make a loop back to 547. Trail is absolutely beautiful with beautiful views. Dog friendly. Cows do roam around so be mindful if you have your dog off leash.

Brian Homeijer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
Hiking

Fun trail not too crowded. We took gooseberry trail to summit and kept going on the other side. Connected back via forest roads to continental divide trail to make it a loop.

View Brian's Recording
John Carviel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020
Hiking

Didn’t find any part of this trail “hard”. Pretty moderate, moderate views also. Random cows all over the trail spooked me at a couple corners unexpectedly in the forest. Make sure to follow directions under “getting there” & use a gps it’s really easy to accidentally wander off the beaten path.

James Church
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020

Steep but worth it.

View James's Recording
Tom K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 26 2020
Hiking

May 2019 trip to Southwest, second visit to NM, last time was 15 years ago in late fall. Day 2 Trail, aspen groves, views and summit all was spectacular despite cloudy, cold and windy day. I was not sure if can hike all way to top but I took a chance! Less than 24 hours I have landed in Albuquerque. Coming from Chicago only issue is with acclimatize to elevation. I always train hard before going to high mountains but nothing can be done about altitude. I made to top in 1.20 h but after 1 hour when I saw switch backs to summit I feel dizziness so need to stop twice for 10 minutes break. On peak I spend little time it was very windy and cold, there is sign in notebook. Just below summit is forest area so you could get break from wind here. I need to head down fast because I still feel slightly dizzy. It took 1.10 h without any stops. At altitude of 9200 feet near trailhead I fell fine. I am glad I DID IT. This was mine tallest mountain hiked 11300 feet during this trip. Latter weather was extremely rare for last weeks of May. Cold and heavy snow conditions at higher elevations so I skipped all mountains over 8000 feet.

brandi abeyta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 20 2020
Rocky

Trail is slightly hard to find. When Mt. Taylor rd ends pavement make a right on to 193. There is a parking lot area on the left. Take this rock paved road about 4.5 miles the trail head is on the right. Pack water and a small jacket once you get above the tree line it gets cold and windy especially at the peak. One of the best trail for the views. My dog made it all the way up no problem- best advice give yourself enough daylight to finish the trail with time for pictures. It's beautiful and well worth the elevation climb for the views.

Franziska Morrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 17 2020
Hiking

Great hike. The elevation gain is intense but the view is worth it! The road to access the trail is unpaved but we made it up in our Toyota Corolla so I think anyone can make it up.

Eli Jackson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 25 2020
Snow

Still a small amount of snow on the trail, no special gear necessary, the road in is completely clear

Art Menichiello
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 23 2020
HikingSnow

No trail review here, just a WARNING on current FR 193 conditions. BTW, previous report about Google Maps trying to take you to the first 547/193 junction is accurate. This is a gated road. You have to continue a few miles further north on 547 until you get to the true access point. I attempted to get to trail on 2/21/20, but got stuck in the snow about three miles up FR 193. There was snow most of the way, but it got too deep, and I tried to back out, but got stuck. I should have stopped and parked lower, but wanted to cut off a couple miles of hiking. Thankfully, there is somebody in town with monster trucks that could pull me out, Grants Custom & Collision, 505-287-7272, if you do get stuck they’re great people! I highly recommend that you park lower and do the extra mileage, or wait until spring. I have an Envoy, with 4WD, and I spent 2hrs trying to dig it out before giving up. The snow was so deep, apparently, that my tires just dug in, and the bottom was up on a table of snow. Steven and his dad at Grants Custom told me they’ve pulled out high clearance Jeeps and Toyotas too! The snow may be a hard crust in the morning enabling support of your vehicle, but once it warms up your tires start to sink in. Low-clearance autos should avoid this road entirely right now! Cell coverage is spotty, and I had to walk about 4 miles back down to mile marker 12 on 547 before I could get two bars on my phone. It’s 14 miles back to downtown Grants from the 547/193 junction. Also, lower down on FR 193 is a deep muddy mess later in the day, more opportunities to get stuck!

Jarred G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 26 2019
Hiking

Great trail, probably the best we have done in New Mexico to date. The first mile and a half or so is through a pine forest and then some aspen groves. The trail then completely opens up to provide some magnificent views. There are definitely a few sections that will elevate the heart rate but nothing that will beat your feet up too badly on the descent. Bring something for the wind as there is little to protect you from it.

View Jarred's Recording
Benjamin Reedlunn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 13 2019
Hiking

My 5-year-old son and I made it up and down in 6 hours, including a 30 minute lunch and 45 minutes hanging out at the summit. He wanted to turn around at the switchbacks, but after a little bribery he made it all the way up. He was quite proud of himself. The trail was reasonably easy to follow all the way up and down.

Tim Schvaneveldt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 19 2019
Hiking

Sunny and warm! Love the transitions.

View Tim's Recording
William Lyons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 25 2019
Hiking

Excellent trail. Not very difficult, most of the strain was a result of the altitude not so much the trail, as the trail itself was not terribly difficult so long as you watch your footing on the way back down. The amazing views all the way up and relative ease make this a cant miss. The trail got a little washed out in places but cairns and signs generally made it easy to stay on track. Notes on getting to/from the trailhead from Grants NM. Google maps will try to take you down a private road with no trespassing signs to access the trail head. However if you keep going on 547 you’ll get to Forest Service Road 193 on your right and a parking area on your left. Turn right and go down 193 and stay on this for a few miles. It’s a well maintained dirt and gravel forest road, a little washboardy in places but a sedan with enough clearance could make it. Takes a while to get there but the gooseberry springs trailhead has a big sign and parking area announcing it. On the way out, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND GREEN AND HOLY IN THIS WORLD JUST GO BACK OUT THE SAME WAY YOU CAME IN. If you continue to follow the forest service road 193 beyond the trailhead to get out you’ll end up on extremely rough, boulder ridden and large rock road that take you up a flank of the mountain and then zig zags down around a small canyon over even more rough terrain before finally leveling out and spitting you back out on to 547 worse for wear. I have a full size SUV and it hit the bottom a few times on the rocks (luckily no damage except to my psyche). Unless you’ve got a lift job and a sense of adventure don’t event attempt it! It took me an hour and a half of navigating that road to get out!

Melonie Dawes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 17 2019
HikingRocky

We went up on a beautiful day. Had a late afternoon shower that turned in to hail at the summit. what a beautiful hike with unbelievable panoramic views in many spots. The continental divide is remarkable. we didn't see but a single young buck a couple of chipmunks and Cow all over the mountain. The hike was not a difficult one. It only had 1 hard area. The trail opened up to a meadow and the trail had a steady growing incline. It's barely noticeable to the eye, but you feel it. took a little under 2 and a half hours to reach the top (we had a moaning and groaning teen with us) and just over an hour to get back down. watch those rocks on the way down

Derek Lafon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 10 2019
Hiking

Great hike. Trail easy to follow through forest and up the mountain. I did take the wrong path about a quarter mile from trailhead on the way down but not much of a problem as the trailhead parking lot was 100 yards to the right. Great views.

Clarita Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 16 2019
Hiking

We had a great hike to the summit today. The weather was perfect!

Sarah G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 02 2019
Hiking

One of our favorite local trails - especially lovely in the spring with the wildflowers!

Patrick Murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 26 2019
HikingRockySnow
View Patrick's Recording
Drew Wyrick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 16 2018
Hiking

Really great hike. Road up to the trail head was a little rough. Great views up top

Marsha Gottlieb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 28 2018
Hiking

This was a beautiful hike on a perfect day! Amazing views from the top! It was a challenge with all uphill going up but so worth it!!

Nikole Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 30 2018
Hiking

Beautiful trail but could use some maintenance. Lots of rocks but overall we had a really good time. Bring plenty of water, the way up is almost completely uphill.

Carrie Crawford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 13 2018
Hiking

Beautiful sights! Some loose rocks so be careful. When my friend and I went today it was super windy towards the top. We both took our dogs.

Christina A.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 29 2018
Hiking

Great trail to Mount Taylor. The road out to it is fairly rough; we had no trouble in our SUV, but I wouldn't want to drive a low ground clearance car to the trailhead. We met several other groups on our Saturday late morning hike. The elevation gain starts out as moderate and gets steeper as you near the summit. It took us 1:45 up and 1:15 down. (We took a more leisurely pace on the way up with a couple stops and were quicker on the way down due to rain clouds rolling in.) The trail is easy to follow. Great views from the top. No snow on 4/28.