Monjeau Lookout via Crest Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This one is a hard one for me. The scenery in the trail is amazing, but we couldn’t complete it because but the road is not marked at all well. There are paths of this trail where the trees have fallen down because of a wild fire a while back and the road is not marked. I went by myself with my 2 dogs and got lost a long the way because the path is not visible, one of my dogs led the way and got us back on track. I would call myself an experience hiker and this one is a hard one to follow. The trail however gives you a one and a lifetime experience of seeing deers, bucks and even a bear. We had to wait for the bear to move but it was incredible. If you do decide to do this hike just beware of the paths were the trees are down! Good luck

Amazing views were the highlight of the hike with my non year old daughter

I absolutely love this trail! Phenomenal views but beware of the section of downed trees, and the section of overgrowth. Some challenges, even for a local gal like myself. Definitely the biggest challenge is the elevation gain on the return trip from Monjeau! Brutal if you’re not used to the elevation!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Great views and a well maintained trail. Actually hiked all the way to Ski apache and back one time.