Learn more

Monjeau Lookout via Crest Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(19)
White Mountain Wilderness

Monjeau Lookout via Crest Trail is a 12.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,841 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fri Jun 21 2019

This was our second time to hike this trail. It has changed a lot in 2 years. There were a lot of fallen down trees blocking the trail. We had to climb over and crawl under fallen trees many times. This made the trail fairly difficult but still a good hike.

Sun Apr 07 2019

Up at the Ski Resort, this trail was unique in its own ways. Although the fire destroyed most everything living, the snow is still a nice refreshment. I eventually made my way down to the river which leads you back to the parking lot. Great hike!

Sat Jun 30 2018

This one is a hard one for me. The scenery in the trail is amazing, but we couldn’t complete it because but the road is not marked at all well. There are paths of this trail where the trees have fallen down because of a wild fire a while back and the road is not marked. I went by myself with my 2 dogs and got lost a long the way because the path is not visible, one of my dogs led the way and got us back on track. I would call myself an experience hiker and this one is a hard one to follow. The trail however gives you a one and a lifetime experience of seeing deers, bucks and even a bear. We had to wait for the bear to move but it was incredible. If you do decide to do this hike just beware of the paths were the trees are down! Good luck

Sat Jun 30 2018

Amazing views were the highlight of the hike with my non year old daughter

Mon Jun 11 2018

I absolutely love this trail! Phenomenal views but beware of the section of downed trees, and the section of overgrowth. Some challenges, even for a local gal like myself. Definitely the biggest challenge is the elevation gain on the return trip from Monjeau! Brutal if you’re not used to the elevation!

Fri Jun 24 2011

Great views and a well maintained trail. Actually hiked all the way to Ski apache and back one time.

Sat May 18 2019