Mineral Creek Trail

Mineral Creek Trail is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Glenwood, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The Trail allows hikers to enter a real mountain canyon system w/plenty of colorful rock formations! Mineral Creek also provides opportunities to view the historical mining town of Cooney, Cooneys Tomb, and a number of mining operations along the trail and great flora. There are rugged in places and you must cross the creek. Lots to see and plenty of hiking in the area.

This was a GREAT exploration hike!!!
We had our 10, 7 & 4 yo and all had a great time. There was so much to look at along the way there was no need to hurry through the hike to the final destination. It truly was taking the time to play with the rocks, take some pics and find some lizards kind of hike.

Note:
If you like a min. peeps kind of hike this was great. We went Mem wkd and it was peaceful even with three kids.

Google maps wanted to take you through a private pasture. If you drive a bit further to Alma, take Mineral Creek Road; it’s a gravel road but it is by private land and not through it.

Overall, great hike! Very high walls of the canyon, lots of different formations and coloring. Notes below:

- Took the Mineral Creek Road past Alma, several miles to follow after that I’m packed gravel and dirt. Easy to get through, just an FYI, but may be an issue during a rainy period.

- Small trailhead, no water or trail info unfortunately.

- You will cross water MANY times! Do yourself a favor and get water early to get it over with, in my opinion. Be careful on the rocks, many are slick or on uneven foundations. Lots of fun jumping from bank to bank at parts.

- Mile makers were tricky to determine. I saw one piece of rebar conspicuously hammered into the earth followed by two pieces and three pieces later. That may have been a marking system, wasn’t tracking my distance.

- Terrain includes loose rock, sandy shores, earthy grasslands, small boulder scrambles, and much more. I’d say this is on the more challenging side of moderate.

Even with this minor observations, still an excellent trail.

Beautiful canyon with a running creek. We are 54 and made this hike October 28th. It's the perfect time of year, weather was sunny and cool. The creek was running and you will need to cross the creek numerous times. It is shallow but in certain areas the rocks are slippery.
We hiked to the mill and back which was 7 miles. The canyon and trees provide great shade and we were the only ones on the trail.
Highly recommend this hike!

Go there! It’s about 1 1/2 hours NW of Silver City on hwy 180. Well worth the drive. Gorgeous scenery and yesterday, Oct 14, there was lots of water in the creek. You will cross the creek many times and there are not always stepping stones, so have the right footwear, or just resolve to have damp feet. There are a few places that require crossing over smooth rock surfaces and it is slippery! If you have balance problems or are afraid of falling, beware. My husband slipped and fell into the water and banged his knee. No serious damage but it demonstrates my point. I love this trail! You can hike for many miles and I look forward to doing so on future outings. We went just three miles in and loved every bit of it (except the fall). Take a picnic lunch and sit on one of the many large flat rocks overlooking the creek.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

One of the best kept secrets in New Mexico. Super fun hike in water. We'll do it again and again. Wear water shoes! Bring the kids.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Tough trail backpacking. Good camp sites. Beautiful views. Well marks slot canyon with good running creek.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This is our very favorite trail that we have hiked in New Mexico. It is absolutely gorgeous! My 11 year old son says that he thinks this is what heaven is going to look like. There is foliage, wildflowers (at the right time of year, of course!), waterfalls, fabulous rock formations, soaring canyon walls, and a natural stone arch. You have to hike through the creek to stay on the trail, but that is part of the beauty of the trail. This is good hike for children--my 6 year old did it with me and my 11 and 13 year old children. We just love it, and we will be back soon!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Fished this section several times always love it

Monday, December 19, 2011

Fantastic trip that will take you through a sheer walled canyon with water to the old ghost town of Cooney and beyond if you wish. There are some nice geologic features including a nice arch if you keep your eyes open. There is lots of flora in this canyon too. Great trip. A side note, you can stop by the roadside on the way to see Cooney's tomb and read the colorful story of his life and death, but the tomb is on private land so be respectful. It is OK to look at but remember it is private land.