Mineral Creek Trail

Mineral Creek Trail is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Glenwood, New Mexico that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

The Trail allows hikers to enter a real mountain canyon system w/plenty of colorful rock formations! Mineral Creek also provides opportunities to view the historical mining town of Cooney, Cooneys Tomb, and a number of mining operations along the trail and great flora. There are rugged in places and you must cross the creek. Lots to see and plenty of hiking in the area.

Beautiful canyon with a running creek. We are 54 and made this hike October 28th. It's the perfect time of year, weather was sunny and cool. The creek was running and you will need to cross the creek numerous times. It is shallow but in certain areas the rocks are slippery.
We hiked to the mill and back which was 7 miles. The canyon and trees provide great shade and we were the only ones on the trail.
Highly recommend this hike!

Go there! It’s about 1 1/2 hours NW of Silver City on hwy 180. Well worth the drive. Gorgeous scenery and yesterday, Oct 14, there was lots of water in the creek. You will cross the creek many times and there are not always stepping stones, so have the right footwear, or just resolve to have damp feet. There are a few places that require crossing over smooth rock surfaces and it is slippery! If you have balance problems or are afraid of falling, beware. My husband slipped and fell into the water and banged his knee. No serious damage but it demonstrates my point. I love this trail! You can hike for many miles and I look forward to doing so on future outings. We went just three miles in and loved every bit of it (except the fall). Take a picnic lunch and sit on one of the many large flat rocks overlooking the creek.

One of the best kept secrets in New Mexico. Super fun hike in water. We'll do it again and again. Wear water shoes! Bring the kids.

Tough trail backpacking. Good camp sites. Beautiful views. Well marks slot canyon with good running creek.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This is our very favorite trail that we have hiked in New Mexico. It is absolutely gorgeous! My 11 year old son says that he thinks this is what heaven is going to look like. There is foliage, wildflowers (at the right time of year, of course!), waterfalls, fabulous rock formations, soaring canyon walls, and a natural stone arch. You have to hike through the creek to stay on the trail, but that is part of the beauty of the trail. This is good hike for children--my 6 year old did it with me and my 11 and 13 year old children. We just love it, and we will be back soon!

fly fishing
Friday, June 19, 2015

Fished this section several times always love it

Monday, December 19, 2011

Fantastic trip that will take you through a sheer walled canyon with water to the old ghost town of Cooney and beyond if you wish. There are some nice geologic features including a nice arch if you keep your eyes open. There is lots of flora in this canyon too. Great trip. A side note, you can stop by the roadside on the way to see Cooney's tomb and read the colorful story of his life and death, but the tomb is on private land so be respectful. It is OK to look at but remember it is private land.