Middle Fork Lake Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(192)
Wheeler Peak Wilderness

Middle Fork Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,240 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: The road leading to the trailhead is blocked. Plan on additional 1.5 miles each way. As of May 2020, the services and facilities on this trail are closed.

Super fun hike, not much snow. River crossing fun, but might help to have hiking poles for balance or in water, easy to slip without, love the river beside the whole hike, small water fall this time of year, and great views at lake, I'll do in again, maybe this week. Road going up narrow 1 at time, I wouldn't take a small car, at all. Also just under 6 miles rt back to vehicle at parking area. 3 hours. not for beginners or too out of shape.

May 21, 2020 Great hike with just me and the pup. Very little snow left on the trail and the water crossing is easily managed. Nothing but switchbacks after the water crossing but don't give up, the view is definitely worth the effort!

closed
icy

This trail is a well hidden gem. Very accesible and well marked. At the moment the trail is closed but you can still go ahead and do the trail. Services are closed. Bathroom door does not work, hence you can still use the bathroom. Snow is melting but you can easily get through now. Once you reach the lake. You better be ready for some amazing and breathtaking views!

icy

I am solo hiking. I eventually decided to turn around after 3 hours when the trail became solid deep snow and the footprint/paths I was following did not follow the mapped trail. Not worth the risk to get lost or hurt up there with clouds rolling in. Still a pretty hike with nice views at times

Wow. Keep going. Don’t let the snow stop you from reaching the lake. Wear waterproof boots or shoes if you’re going while the snow is still on the hill. The river is flowing good but the one spot to cross is manageable by stepping over some rocks. Trekking poles help keep some footing or a good walking stick works too. The elevation change is real so take plenty of water and don’t be afraid to take a breather on or after the switchbacks. You can park near the trailhead so no need to park off the highway at the turnaround. The bathroom is open but be respectable because someone used it for their trash bag which was disappointing. When we reached the lake, it was truly breathtaking and worth every foot we climbed up the hill. Amazing workout and I highly recommend it.

icy

An incredibly beautiful hike. Made it to maybe a half a mile short of the lake and had to turn back due to post holing knee deep. Snowshoes definitely recommended for the last stretch after the waterfall.

Did this late April. My 2 wheel drive car made it most of the way to the trailhead. most of it was blocked by snow. First part of the trail was compact snow but sunk in a few times. once you pass the waterfall the snow is not compact I would recommend snowshoes. we made it a third of the way up the switchbacks before we decided to turn back.

The hike was absolutely wonderful. Had our two small pups on leash and it was great weather. There is a restroom at the trailhead and at the lake (will likely close come winter?). the road to the actual trailhead for us was definitely manageable. I have a Honda Crosstour which has similar clearence as a Subaru Outback. When there is more water or moisture this could be different, though. If you choose to avoid the drive to the trailhead it's a flat, easy walk. Not really an added challenge. enjoy!!!!

one of my favs

private property

Took a screenshot of GPS where the road is blocked off to the trailhead. Plan on an additional 1.5 miles each way. I did not and didn't have enough sun-time for an extra 3 miles round trip, unfortunately. (But will be back soon!) There are also "No Parking" signs where you will need to park. Located a few minutes up the road from the ski basin.

Loved this hike. It was beautiful. We hiked from the 1st entrance which adds 2 miles round trip to the hike. This hike was a total of 8.6 miles round trip. The lake was beautiful and so peaceful. This hike is also very clean. No trash or human litter on this hike. The air smells amazing.

Great trail and well used but also well maintained. Made it up and back with 4 kids ranging from 4-12 year old. All did well but the last 30 minutes or so was the most challenging. We were not able to drive to the trailhead. Some work to the access road would have made it easier to get to the trailhead and not have to walk the additional mile in and out. Lake was amazing and so were the views at the end.

Trailhead is a mile from the main road. It was very rocky and a bit washed out when we went. Probably would not attempt it without a 4-wheel drive. If you hike from the main parking, it will add 2 miles. There are several views of waterfalls along the trail with a spectacular lake at the summit. Had to cross through the water. Would recommend waterproof or quick-dry shoes. Got caught in a rain/hailstorm in the early afternoon. Was prepared for rain, but not a pelting. Ha ha. Pretty steady incline and well worth the effort.

Good hike for day one and getting acclimated ! Steady incline and easy hike on the way back.

Intermediate and not for folks who aren't acclimated to the altitude, but for experienced hikers is a beautiful 3-6 hour excursion (depending on your skill level). Kicked our butts because we live at sea level and did it on day one (stupid!). USE THE ALL TRAILS app... this saved me a few times with confusing trails - cell service is spotty but the maps seem to work even when there is no cell service. The lake at the end is really beautiful. GREAT for dogs, tired out my high-energy pooch, and that is hard to do. There are plenty of streams with clean water for your dog as well. PARKING - take forest road 58 all the way until you see an obvious parking area which has a bathroom/outhouse. I have a Tacoma and it traversed the road with no problem despite the water and rocks.

A great hike, I recommend it. This is a well maintained trail leading to Middle Fork Lake. Incline is steady and shady. The lake is spectacular and well worth the climb. We are in our 60s and had no difficulty. Only issue is the first section of the forest road leading to the trail head. We had a small SUV and decided not to risk it because the first section slopes. However, the walk to the trail head is pleasant and only about 1.5 miles.

We measured on All Tails App 5.2 miles. We didn’t start the app until a mile in. Not as pretty as some hikes we have been on but the lake was really pretty. Elevation is tough.

Much longer and more difficult than we originally thought, but so beautiful and worth it. We were with 5 kids ranging from 5-12 and most of them had their moment of getting tired. It’s pretty rocky and long, but well-marked and has many wonderful views, as well as picture opportunities.

Great trail! My 15 yr old son and I hiked it this morning! You can park at the road or follow the trail from the pavement to the trail head and this saves you about 1.5 miles or so? Higher clearance vehicle is better for this part of the trail. Beautiful walk though. 2 or 3 planks missing from the footbridge, but still easily possible. Walking stick is helpful to cross the river at the waterfall. Once you’ve reached this spot you’re about half way and it climbs steeply from there up. This is also a great turn around spot if you’re not wanting to hike the whole trail. The lake at the top is breathtaking and well worth the hike! Bugs weren’t too bad, but watch out for fresh “horse apples” on the trail! Lol All and all a great trip and worth every minute. Take plenty of water and some replenishing snacks for the stop at the top. I suggest hitting it early too as the trail gets busy later in the day. It took us roughly 3 hours (we hiked from the road before the trail head) and we went pretty leisurely! Also plan for rain if your hiking in the afternoon. Now get out there and enjoy it! I