McCauley Hot Springs

McCauley Hot Springs is a 3.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Springs, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

hot springs

fee

GO RIGHT WHEN YOU REACH THE LARGE FIELD WITH THE TEEPEES!!! There are some sections where you have to figure out which way but if you do it and dont quit you'll reach the springs. deff sketchy but deff worth it

I started at the parking lot by Battleship Rock. Trail was steep and poorly marked. Only met one couple on their way down who said they were not able to find the hot springs. I was not able to find the hot springs and got lost for part of the hike.

Took us about 4 hours to complete ( beginners).The view was amazing! We started around 7 with no traffic, people started to show up around 9. Since there was black algea in the spring we only put our feet in, the water was luke warm.

As other reviewers have said, this is an excellent day hike for people in reasonably decent physical shape. Hiking boots are highly recommended, along with sufficient water and some snacks - or pack a lunch and enjoy it once you get to the hot springs. There are a few downed trees blocking the path on this trail, so one needs to be able to navigate these obstacles to complete this hike. The views while hiking were very good, and the lovely smell of pine permeating the air was wonderful. My husband and I really enjoyed this hike - highly recommend!

Easy trail from Jemez Campground to McCaulley Springs. Very wellkept and doable.

Great hike overall. The trail offers great views along the way, with the hot springs being a nice reward. If you want to extend your distance, continue on to the Jemez falls trail, to view the waterfall (option to wade here, too). Then double back.

The trailhead 137 is not marked at the beginning but does have a sign, cairns and dotted trees to mark the way. It is a moderate accent most of the way there. There are 3 pools with the water temperature about the same as body. The top pool has two sections, but a lot of moss & a few condoms. The second is the largest & shallowest, also the most popular. The 3rd is the smallest, but has minnows that come and eat off your dead skin. Would be 5 stars if people would clean up after themselves.

A gorgeous hike with a relaxing natural thermal spring up top. So I did this trail around 5 in the morning to get up to the spring just at sunrise and hopefully beat the rush since this is a popular trail. No one was in the spring at sunrise so I had it to myself. There are two decent-sized springs up top so you can find some room. They are warm but not sauna hot, I figure probably around 80 degrees. Still nice though! The trail takes 1 hour and 15 minutes up and about 50 minutes down with great views. If you are going at night as I did, bring a headlamp and follow the tree dot markings to guide your path. I would suggest downloading this trail map offline since there is no cell signal there and it is easy to get turned around at night if you aren't used to hiking. I am a very fit and moderately experienced hiker and conquer with the rating of moderate. If you have trouble with rocks, are old and not used to hikes or get tired really quickly, I do not recommend this trail to you. The path is very well worn, however, it gets pretty tight in some areas so don't go in thinking this is going to look like a dirt road. No animals I saw and after talking to some locals, no bears. Again, I highly recommend this trail and once you are done conquering the trail, head to HWY4CAFE for some solid breakfast and coffee!

The trail itself is about 4 miles total, a bit rocky and steep, with a beautiful reward at the end. Challenging enough for a beginning hiker, still a good time for someone more seasoned. The springs were absolutely gorgeous, heated slightly by the sunlight, with small minnows that who’ll nibble at your skin. I went on a Wednesday afternoon and only came across a handful of people. Overall a great day hike.

Nice springs

PHENOMENAL! I am so happy I did this hike. Suuuuper moderate to do and the perfect about of up hills and down hills. I went early Wednesday morning and no one was here! Definitely recommend going on an early random week day cause I’ve read reviews it’s packed on the weekends. The drive to the springs is even magnificent. Directions take you right there and follow the trail signs. One of the best places to go if in New Mexico

Great hike! absolutely beautiful. no bugs. lots of ponderosa pines and views of various rocks formations. We felt it was moderate, and not hard. We're fairly new hikers. It took us an hour and 20 minutes in and 50 minutes out. The three springs were occupied with only a few people. We took a quart of water each and we needed it, plus some trail mix. It was mostly shady, but had some sunny parts. We started at 1040 am. We thoroughly enjoyed it!

It's awesome trail in Jemez. a bit rocky but still it's not hard. it took about 1 hour and 2omin to reach the end. but going back took less than an hour! beautiful scenery and there are three springs and good to chill out.

Great climb! It took about an hour and a half to climb and an hour to get back down. pretty rocky on the way down.

This trail was very hard for me, as I never hike and have some health issues. The springs are definitely "natural" and full of rocks and algae/moss. In spite of my health issues, I did make it to the springs in 1.5 hours and then back down the trail in 1 hour. The day after the hike, I am very, very sore. I do NOT reccomend this hike for anyone with health issues. The able bodied people who traveled with me are also hiking newbies and struggled. They are less sore than me today but very tired. This trail was HARD.

These are the first natural springs I’ve been to and they were amazing! I went in the smaller pool as the bigger one was surrounded by people, then two large groups of people hiked up as we were leaving. To be expected but I wish it was more secluded for relaxing. The hike was moderate but very shady. The springs were warm and relaxing.

Went on Tuesday. Had the large pool to ourselves for most of the time. A hit with 10 and 13 year old. Several groups of hikers, but many walked by the springs without getting in. We spent an hour and a half in and out of the water :) Temp is warmer than a heated pool but not hot-tub temps like San Antonio Hot Springs. Trail easy to follow. Great outing!

Went around 9am. Cicadas singing throughout the majority of the hike. Such loud hypnotic sounds those bugs make. Had a few cicadas fly and land on me. Trails are well kept and easy to follow. Trail is rocky in some parts and shaded throughout. From start to finish you'll be hiking at an incline. Bring water. Having hiking shoes/boots and trekking poles is recommended. Lovely pungent smell of pine. Saw a few lizards, birds, and a snake that was on the shore of the river where the trail starts. The hot springs were clean, warm, and populated with guppies. Dip your feet in the water and be greeted by the friendly nibbling of guppies. Somewhat ticklish.

I highly recommend this hike, especially if you’re a searcher of natural springs. The trail is a perfect incline with flats in the right spots to catch your breathe. And the altitude makes you work for it. Parts of the trail are difficult to spot, I had to backtrack a few times. But not impossible. The springs are the perfect temp(about 80 degrees) after an incline hike. Little minnows in the ponds tickle your feed and it was soothing. I felt immersed in nature. There was no litter. I mostly had the place to myself on a Friday.

This was such a nice hike. The trail is a little hard to find at times, but there are markers all along the path. The springs are absolutely stunning. This trail is super dog friendly, we took our lab out with us and she loved it the whole time.

What an awesome hike. We veered off course a little bit and took a more difficult but shorter route up. Thank God for the offline maps in this app. There are quite a few sections that look like the trail but aren’t as well defined. There’s one area especially where the trail hooks right through some boulders and we missed that turn off. It didn’t look like the trail continued through there but it does. We went on a Thursday and had the warm springs to ourselves. So relaxing. The scenery was absolutely stunning. we had our two dogs with us and they loved it. Highly recommend!

Beautiful hike. Nothing too crazy, and the hot springs are wonderful. There’s little shade in the afternoon though.

Beautiful

I would recommend the trail. The trail was dog friendly and children friendly. Spring was lukewarm. The hike was not too easy or not too difficult - moderate. Perfect.

Super cool!! Lukewarm Springs but beautiful.

A few spots down hill made me fall but overall a great hike. I didn’t do the whole trail.