McCauley Hot Springs

McCauley Hot Springs is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Springs, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Pretty views of Battleship Rock

Mostly uphill on the way out, easy hike on the way back. After seeing a couple other hot springs in the area, I vote this my favorite. Beautiful views the whole way with crystal clear springs at the end. Plus the upper pond has minnows that will nibble on your toes if you don't move. I wouldn't call it a hot spring as much as a warmish spring as people have said, but well worth the hike.

Nice trail, heavy traffic. The springs worth the 4 miles.

Great hike. Up most the way and then down coming back. Fairly hot today but decided to have lunch at the springs.

Very rewarding hike-worth the effort to get to the springs!

Great hike! Not too long or hard. Your not going to get lost on the trail. The springs are real warm. Great for a nighttime dip. I love these springs!

i liked this trail. Don't listen to the people saying it was not clearly marked or hard to find - it was actually one of the easiest trails to follow once I found it. not hard to find, starts at Battleship Rock. the trail starts along a stream, and goes up into the beautiful Jemez forest until you hit the springs. I went in in late April - the springs were not hot, not cold, very pleasant and provided a good recharge for the 2 miles back. There are guppies in there too. the firsy spring (the higher one) is warmer than the lower one. There were a lot of dogs on the trail.

Good hike, about 1.7 miles one way. You’re treated to some great views along the way. The hike is moderately difficult just because it’s mostly uphill but it’s short enough that most folks won’t have too much trouble. The pools are gorgeous and filled with minnows that will swim up to tickle you when you’re still. Two large pools that could probably fit 6-8 people each, but it’d be kind of weird with that many people. Tip: go in the evening when most others have disappeared. Great little spot.

Awesome place to hike. Funtastic hike and scenic views. I'd love to go again soon with family.

This trail wasn't too difficult for us to find, we started out at Battleship Rock picnic area on trail 137 (which is well marked) along the creek. Less than 10 minutes in we found the sign that was the turn off for McCauley hot spring trail. The trail wasn't all that well maintained and there were fallen trees that needed clearing. We took the dog and he loved it, there wasn't too much traffic on the trail for a beautiful Saturday morning.

This trail is a moderately hard hike. We took 5 kids ranging in age from 8 to 16. They handled it well. It will give your knees a workout. Trail was well traveled for Good Friday. Many people at the springs, but there was enough room to enjoy our time there. The trail was well marked. There is not much cover to change at the Springs, so wear your water clothes up. Great places for pictures or selfies on the way.

Coming from ABQ, the drive was so pretty! Got to stop at the soda dam. Hike was rough after a lot of inactivity during a chicago winter, but the springs was a great payoff! It is a warm spring as others have said, but the guppies are so cool!

This is a great trail. Great scenery and the warm springs are really nice at the end. I used the map on the app and had no problem following the trail or finding the springs. My mistake was not bringing a swimsuit and towel. Highly recommended!!

This is a really fun, easy backpacking trip if you're just getting started. The hike isn't difficult, and if you're looking to camp, there are tons of stone fire rings already setup at the end of the trail. My biggest complaint is that despite there being signs saying you can camp, we couldn't actually find a place to park without an "overnight parking prohibited" sign in front of it. We took our chances and didn't get any grief, but worrying about getting my car booted the whole time did take away a bit from enjoying the trip.

This is not marked well at all. Ran into some hikers coming off trail 137 and they said the hot springs would be on the trail. We never found it. Luckily some locals told us the trailhead was at battleships rock. Trail 137 was a great hike and very pretty but can’t say there are any hot springs there.

Such a fun day hike! We took our dog and she loved it, too. The springs are more luke-warm than hot, but it feels good to soak for a bit after working up a little sweat on the slight incline! Definitely recommend for everyone, four legged friends included :)

Did not find it there are no signs! Sad was looking forward to the hike! What a shame New Mexico has such beautiful places just needs more signs and directions to get to places!

I really loved the view. Its so peacefully there.

Nice hike. Water was warm not hot. The little fish nibbling at your feet are the best. Easy to find.

awesome untill a creepy old guy took his clothes off and got in the hot spring we were in...there are 3 and none had anyone there...strange...

We are pretty inexperienced hikers and this was our first time to the area. We pretty much only found it by happenstance. Here are my personal tips to find it

-There is no real trailhead for this trail. This may be a given for some folks but don’t expect a sign directing you where to actually start. We started on trail 137(East Fork Trail) but the map posted there doesn’t really say anything about the springs.(Although there’s a generic sign saying McCauley Springs Trail ahead)

-When you start on that, you hike along a river uphill for a bit and you will finally find a downed sign with McCauley Springs to let you know you’re on the right path. (You still prob have about 2 miles to go)

-During one uphill switchback, it got pretty confusing. There’s a downed tree that was like a boarder but was hard to tell if you continue over it or if you switch directions. We switched directions and continued uphill that got us back to an obvious trail. I’m not sure what would’ve happened if we would’ve continued over the tree. We might still be in the woods right now.

-Cell signal was shotty with Verizon up there and guessing it prob is with most carriers. Would’ve been nice if we prepared and downloaded a map.

-Shoutout to all the people that left stacked rocks to let us know we were on the right path!

Really beautiful up there and well worth it once we made it up.

Edit: I’m not sure what was up with the latitude/longitude to start at but my GPS would not pull it up.

It was an excellent hike! Many switchbacks which gets confusing and there was a downed tree which blocked off the path and we got lost in a large burnt clearing for a bit. There are red trail markers to look out for. Not really a hot springs more luke warm but it was stunning. Go early as it gets very busy and some of the trail is in direct sun for a while so bring sunscreen!

Not really hot springs. Just warm springs. But the water features little fish that will nibble on your toes. We loved it.

Great hike. this is not a loop trail though, see users recordings. go out and back on the upper part of the shown loop only. the trail is clearly worn and easy to navigate.

epic.

Beautiful scenery, just astonishingly beautiful! Better to stay on the north side of the loop as the south side is washed out quite a bit. Would do this hike again, loved it!

Wow!!! Nice hike and a wonderful spring! Definitely warm, not hot. But extremely quiet and peaceful when no one else is around. Lots of little fishies nibbling my toes lol

We had heard that this trail was not clearly marked, however we followed what we thought the trail was and made it up there! The Springs are warm rather than hot, but it's beautiful once you get there! Biggest advice is, if it seems like the trail is trying to lead you one way.. take that path. We ran into a couple that was debating on which way to go, it very much seemed like there was a path trying to lead us left so we went left, they followed and they were glad they did.

Well.....we didn't actually make it. I guess we took a wrong turn somewhere after we took a left at the fallen sign. But we did lend up on top of Battleship Rock. Incredible views.

Beautiful trail I will definitely do again. I would not do this without the trail map downloaded tho!