McCauley Hot Springs

McCauley Hot Springs is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Springs, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Not really hot springs. Just warm springs. But the water features little fish that will nibble on your toes. We loved it.

Great hike. this is not a loop trail though, see users recordings. go out and back on the upper part of the shown loop only. the trail is clearly worn and easy to navigate.

epic.

Beautiful scenery, just astonishingly beautiful! Better to stay on the north side of the loop as the south side is washed out quite a bit. Would do this hike again, loved it!

Wow!!! Nice hike and a wonderful spring! Definitely warm, not hot. But extremely quiet and peaceful when no one else is around. Lots of little fishies nibbling my toes lol

We had heard that this trail was not clearly marked, however we followed what we thought the trail was and made it up there! The Springs are warm rather than hot, but it's beautiful once you get there! Biggest advice is, if it seems like the trail is trying to lead you one way.. take that path. We ran into a couple that was debating on which way to go, it very much seemed like there was a path trying to lead us left so we went left, they followed and they were glad they did.

Well.....we didn't actually make it. I guess we took a wrong turn somewhere after we took a left at the fallen sign. But we did lend up on top of Battleship Rock. Incredible views.

Beautiful trail I will definitely do again. I would not do this without the trail map downloaded tho!

1+15 hike up to the springs from Battleship picnic area, and well worth it. The trail was a little confusing at times but the most important things to keep in mind are as follows: Make a left at the fallen sign, then 5 minutes later the trail forks and you need to go right (up the steeper trail away from Battleship rock). Enjoy!

Began with the intention of completing the McCauley Warm Springs trail. However, Trail 137 connects up to the Jemez Falls trail, as part of the East Fork Trail, making this about 8+ miles with the added bonus of viewing the falls. I agree with the other commentators that the MWS trail could be better marked... Parking for day-use is $5. Camping is also an option for the same ppd.
So, to add on to the MWS hike from Battleship rock, simply continue on the path after the quaint warm springs and climb upward to arrive at the Jemez Falls trail-head and picnic area.
Plenty of sun-dappled shade, lovely vistas, mountain breezes, and a light afternoon sprinkle.

I give five stars because it's a beautiful area and the springs are quite magical. There's a smaller, more shallow, warmer spring at the bottom and a bigger, less warm spring at the top that you can swim in. It's about three feet deep, I'd guess.
As others stated, the trail can be confusing though, as it's poorly marked. You start at the east trail map and take the trail to the left of the river. Keep right. Go left at the fallen sign. You'll eventually come to a fork, go right and follow the red trail markers on the trees. If you go left, on the edge of the mountain, you're going the wrong way and the trail will end.
It's a completely uphill trail so make sure to wear good shoes.
Overall, my friends and I loved it once we found it and it made the hike worthwhile. We had it completely to ourselves on a Thursday afternoon. We had to cut it short when it started to pour rain but it was fun! We'll definitely be back.
Also disclaimer that I did not know: It costs $5 (cash/check only) to park near the trail and that lot closes at 6. If you stay past that time, you'll have to find the woman in the RV to unlock the gate for you.

Trail is badly marked, one sign could save a lot of experienced hikers trouble. We missed it and ended up towards that top of the flat mtn and had to gps track back to main trail. But the Springs were warm and very nice.

I absolutely loved this trail! I camped at Jemez Falls for a few days and climbed this trail every day with my dog. It takes about an hour to get there if you know the way. I was lucky enough to find it easily by myself as I didn't find this app until I got home. I recommend bringing plenty of water. I also brought a few pool toys to play with my dog and to float. The water is about swimming pool temp which is nice in the heat of summer. It is cooler than some of the other springs in Jemez, and the main pool is big enough to swim in! Little fish eat the dead skin off your feet for a Japanese mountain pedicure. Scrub yourself down before going if you think you'd find it uncomfortable.