McCauley Hot Springs

McCauley Hot Springs is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Springs, New Mexico that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Awesome place to hike. Funtastic hike and scenic views. I'd love to go again soon with family.

This trail wasn't too difficult for us to find, we started out at Battleship Rock picnic area on trail 137 (which is well marked) along the creek. Less than 10 minutes in we found the sign that was the turn off for McCauley hot spring trail. The trail wasn't all that well maintained and there were fallen trees that needed clearing. We took the dog and he loved it, there wasn't too much traffic on the trail for a beautiful Saturday morning.

This trail is a moderately hard hike. We took 5 kids ranging in age from 8 to 16. They handled it well. It will give your knees a workout. Trail was well traveled for Good Friday. Many people at the springs, but there was enough room to enjoy our time there. The trail was well marked. There is not much cover to change at the Springs, so wear your water clothes up. Great places for pictures or selfies on the way.

Coming from ABQ, the drive was so pretty! Got to stop at the soda dam. Hike was rough after a lot of inactivity during a chicago winter, but the springs was a great payoff! It is a warm spring as others have said, but the guppies are so cool!

This is a great trail. Great scenery and the warm springs are really nice at the end. I used the map on the app and had no problem following the trail or finding the springs. My mistake was not bringing a swimsuit and towel. Highly recommended!!

This is a really fun, easy backpacking trip if you're just getting started. The hike isn't difficult, and if you're looking to camp, there are tons of stone fire rings already setup at the end of the trail. My biggest complaint is that despite there being signs saying you can camp, we couldn't actually find a place to park without an "overnight parking prohibited" sign in front of it. We took our chances and didn't get any grief, but worrying about getting my car booted the whole time did take away a bit from enjoying the trip.

This is not marked well at all. Ran into some hikers coming off trail 137 and they said the hot springs would be on the trail. We never found it. Luckily some locals told us the trailhead was at battleships rock. Trail 137 was a great hike and very pretty but can’t say there are any hot springs there.

Such a fun day hike! We took our dog and she loved it, too. The springs are more luke-warm than hot, but it feels good to soak for a bit after working up a little sweat on the slight incline! Definitely recommend for everyone, four legged friends included :)

Did not find it there are no signs! Sad was looking forward to the hike! What a shame New Mexico has such beautiful places just needs more signs and directions to get to places!

I really loved the view. Its so peacefully there.

Nice hike. Water was warm not hot. The little fish nibbling at your feet are the best. Easy to find.

awesome untill a creepy old guy took his clothes off and got in the hot spring we were in...there are 3 and none had anyone there...strange...

We are pretty inexperienced hikers and this was our first time to the area. We pretty much only found it by happenstance. Here are my personal tips to find it

-There is no real trailhead for this trail. This may be a given for some folks but don’t expect a sign directing you where to actually start. We started on trail 137(East Fork Trail) but the map posted there doesn’t really say anything about the springs.(Although there’s a generic sign saying McCauley Springs Trail ahead)

-When you start on that, you hike along a river uphill for a bit and you will finally find a downed sign with McCauley Springs to let you know you’re on the right path. (You still prob have about 2 miles to go)

-During one uphill switchback, it got pretty confusing. There’s a downed tree that was like a boarder but was hard to tell if you continue over it or if you switch directions. We switched directions and continued uphill that got us back to an obvious trail. I’m not sure what would’ve happened if we would’ve continued over the tree. We might still be in the woods right now.

-Cell signal was shotty with Verizon up there and guessing it prob is with most carriers. Would’ve been nice if we prepared and downloaded a map.

-Shoutout to all the people that left stacked rocks to let us know we were on the right path!

Really beautiful up there and well worth it once we made it up.

Edit: I’m not sure what was up with the latitude/longitude to start at but my GPS would not pull it up.

It was an excellent hike! Many switchbacks which gets confusing and there was a downed tree which blocked off the path and we got lost in a large burnt clearing for a bit. There are red trail markers to look out for. Not really a hot springs more luke warm but it was stunning. Go early as it gets very busy and some of the trail is in direct sun for a while so bring sunscreen!

Not really hot springs. Just warm springs. But the water features little fish that will nibble on your toes. We loved it.

Great hike. this is not a loop trail though, see users recordings. go out and back on the upper part of the shown loop only. the trail is clearly worn and easy to navigate.

epic.

Beautiful scenery, just astonishingly beautiful! Better to stay on the north side of the loop as the south side is washed out quite a bit. Would do this hike again, loved it!

Wow!!! Nice hike and a wonderful spring! Definitely warm, not hot. But extremely quiet and peaceful when no one else is around. Lots of little fishies nibbling my toes lol

We had heard that this trail was not clearly marked, however we followed what we thought the trail was and made it up there! The Springs are warm rather than hot, but it's beautiful once you get there! Biggest advice is, if it seems like the trail is trying to lead you one way.. take that path. We ran into a couple that was debating on which way to go, it very much seemed like there was a path trying to lead us left so we went left, they followed and they were glad they did.

Well.....we didn't actually make it. I guess we took a wrong turn somewhere after we took a left at the fallen sign. But we did lend up on top of Battleship Rock. Incredible views.

Beautiful trail I will definitely do again. I would not do this without the trail map downloaded tho!

1+15 hike up to the springs from Battleship picnic area, and well worth it. The trail was a little confusing at times but the most important things to keep in mind are as follows: Make a left at the fallen sign, then 5 minutes later the trail forks and you need to go right (up the steeper trail away from Battleship rock). Enjoy!

Began with the intention of completing the McCauley Warm Springs trail. However, Trail 137 connects up to the Jemez Falls trail, as part of the East Fork Trail, making this about 8+ miles with the added bonus of viewing the falls. I agree with the other commentators that the MWS trail could be better marked... Parking for day-use is $5. Camping is also an option for the same ppd.
So, to add on to the MWS hike from Battleship rock, simply continue on the path after the quaint warm springs and climb upward to arrive at the Jemez Falls trail-head and picnic area.
Plenty of sun-dappled shade, lovely vistas, mountain breezes, and a light afternoon sprinkle.

I give five stars because it's a beautiful area and the springs are quite magical. There's a smaller, more shallow, warmer spring at the bottom and a bigger, less warm spring at the top that you can swim in. It's about three feet deep, I'd guess.
As others stated, the trail can be confusing though, as it's poorly marked. You start at the east trail map and take the trail to the left of the river. Keep right. Go left at the fallen sign. You'll eventually come to a fork, go right and follow the red trail markers on the trees. If you go left, on the edge of the mountain, you're going the wrong way and the trail will end.
It's a completely uphill trail so make sure to wear good shoes.
Overall, my friends and I loved it once we found it and it made the hike worthwhile. We had it completely to ourselves on a Thursday afternoon. We had to cut it short when it started to pour rain but it was fun! We'll definitely be back.
Also disclaimer that I did not know: It costs $5 (cash/check only) to park near the trail and that lot closes at 6. If you stay past that time, you'll have to find the woman in the RV to unlock the gate for you.

Trail is badly marked, one sign could save a lot of experienced hikers trouble. We missed it and ended up towards that top of the flat mtn and had to gps track back to main trail. But the Springs were warm and very nice.

I absolutely loved this trail! I camped at Jemez Falls for a few days and climbed this trail every day with my dog. It takes about an hour to get there if you know the way. I was lucky enough to find it easily by myself as I didn't find this app until I got home. I recommend bringing plenty of water. I also brought a few pool toys to play with my dog and to float. The water is about swimming pool temp which is nice in the heat of summer. It is cooler than some of the other springs in Jemez, and the main pool is big enough to swim in! Little fish eat the dead skin off your feet for a Japanese mountain pedicure. Scrub yourself down before going if you think you'd find it uncomfortable.

Good enjoyable hike on an ok trail. The trail is rocky and a steady climb. Watch for rock cairns and tree flagging to help you at forks in the trail. Water is probably around 90 degrees - comfortable but at a temperature that sustains little fish who nibble on your skin. Seriously on of my favorite places in the entire state!

rating it a 4, just because the hot springs - when you can finally find them - are breathtaking and very warm! we had the whole trail and pools to our self on a Tuesday evening. it was lovely. but only a 4 for these reasons: took us 3 full different attempts doing the hike and trying to find the springs due to false trails! the lower "trail" shown on alltrails IS NOT A TRAIL!! don't follow it, we found markers also along it leading us falsely, but it's literally just a climb up the side of the mountain. we climbed on ZERO TRAIL up the side of the mountain, for 4 hours! if we hadn't been recording on here we wouldve been totally lost!. it eventually led us up to where the Jemez Falls trail is, once we could find it- still never coming around the springs!. so definitely try to stay on the north end trail, it's super easily and well defined once you find it. you pass up past the hot springs- that's the trail you should only follow!!

Nice hike away from Albuquerque heat. As other have said, trail in not marked well (at least coming from the Battleship Rock side.