Manzano Peak Trail

Manzano Peak Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mountainair, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cool trail! View at the top is worth the climb. Trail could use some maintenance- lots of fallen trees to climb over along the way and the trail signs are all down and faded. My GPS called this round trip 8.63 miles, as I turned it on at the car, not the trail sign a mile up the trail. I hiked with my husband, 2 teen sons, and our dog. Great day outside— didn’t see any other hikers out there. Our only company was a few deer. :)

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Nice hike although the recent fire has made it less scenic. Trail can be faint and there is some deadfall across in spots but the views from the top make it well worth it.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Great hike. We parked at the base, up through the entrance, and we took a right at the split. There is bear activity, so keep the dogs on trail. We were about 50 feet from a bear in the brush, he was barely visible. A really great scree field and some amazing burn areas to view.
We made it to the top, took the path to the peak, hung out at the peak, then descended.
This is where I have to strongly urge you DO NOT FOLLOW THE PATH UNDER RECORDINGS. Follow the marked trail under maps. This is a burn area, it needs to recover, and coming down from the peak off path, you know you're in a burn area - it's nothing but downed trees and briar thickets around the streams. If you follow the route that is under recordings, you run the risk of getting injured (because we had someone in our group do it and got cut up bad). Stay on the trail, it's there for a reason.

Saturday, May 06, 2017