Lost Lake Trail is a 18.0 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Length18.0 kmElevation gain634 mRoute typeOut & back
HikingHorseback ridingNature tripsWalkingBird watchingDog friendlyForestLakeRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlife
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

An incredible trail with fantastic views!

Travel south approximately 6 miles on NM State Highway 578 to the junction of Middle Fork and East Fork. The pavement ends here. Take the road to the right, Forest Road 58, for approximately 1.1 miles to a parking area. No turnaround or parking is available beyond this point.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (152)
Photos (168)
Activities (111)
Completed (246)
Karen Pound
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

the trail map on the app is completely wrong. but it's beautiful and a great hike

View Karen 's activity
Will Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 25, 2020
Backpacking

Great trail. Fortunately, you walk next to a stream the whole time so you don't need to lug to much water up the trail. We camped (2) nights at the like and did some great day hikes.

Genevieve Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2020
HikingGreat!

My Strava app clocked 11.1 miles RT for this trail, not sure why others are coming up with 14 miles unless they are not starting at the trailhead. Beautiful hike, only challenging because of the length. There were cattle grazing on the steep southwest side of the lake, which seemed odd. Also saw mountain bike tracks.

Amy Fletcher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
Backpacking

I did this hike on a whim and made the mistake of not double checking the elevation (I live at sea level). There was rain, and hail on the way up but it gave into sunshine about halfway. About 2 miles in I felt like I was having my ass handed to me, and at the fork for Horseshoe Lake or Lost Lake, I sent an SOS video to my friend telling her where I was and to look for me after a certain amount of time had passed. Right about the time I came upon the Lake I had reinvigorated my relationship with God and made a lot of promises on reformed behavior. I saw 2 other groups at campsites in the first camping area to the left, and then had the higher ground camping area to myself. The lake was absolutely incredible, the campsite was perfect, and my dog was super happy chasing chipmunks trying to find food as I was setting up camp. There were several mountain bikers and day hikers that came through, 2 of whom said they’d spotted a mountain lion in the area. I definitely had symptoms of altitude sickness throughout the night, but the hike out was a piece of cake. Definitely unexpected, but more than definitely worth it. Also a good lesson in double checking the altitude/elevation

Travis Gibson
View Travis's activity
Victoria Rittinger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

Fantastic trail. Easy, steady incline the whole way. There are cascades, then the waterfall where you can swing right for Middle Fork Lake or left for Lost Lake/Horseshoe Lake. Was glad I had my hiking poles for the last mile or so...there was a pretty steep embankment, but gorgeous views and the lake after! The scariest part was driving my low-clearance vehicle to the trailhead. Not sure I’d choose to do that again!

Travis Gibson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Travis's activity
Marcy Botwick
Jeroen van der Ploeg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2020
Hiking

great trail it's roughly 14 miles all the way around. south side has some small rivers. north west side mainly rock an Forrest.

View Jeroen's activity
Mario Delgado
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Hiking

decent hike. well maintained trail.

View Mario's activity
Marco Del Carpio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020
View Marco's activity
Nicolas Forge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

It was an easy trail to follow. It was not that steep so going down was that intense. The lake was clear and turquoise and it was beautiful. It took us 5.6miles to get to the lost lake. There is a creek and it looks very clean and clear.

View Nicolas's activity
shannon stone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

All Trails map is a little off as they have apparently redone the trail. we clocked it at 7 miles to the lake and 7 miles back. nice, steady incline the entire way to the lake, with a narrow, rocky part at the end. this part had a steep drop off on the one side. highly recommend hiking poles or a hiking stick. lake was amazing! they have designated camping spots around the east and south side of the lake. we backpacked in and stayed the night right in front of the lake. each site includes a fire ring. next morning a mountain goat wandered right up to our tent. he got spooked by our dogs and charged at us. pretty scary experience. make sure you are prepared for a wildlife encounter as it could happen here. we also had chipmunks try to climb in our tent and saw a deer on the trail as we descended the next morning. all in all, it is a great trail with a beautiful ending.

Cullen Bowden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
View Cullen's activity
Sara Rosales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
Hiking

Great trail! It was a very easy-to-follow trail but the trail has been changed so doesn’t follow the all trails map exactly. If you follow the main path (it will be obvious) you will make it to Horseshoe Lake. I clocked about 1.5 miles from Lost Lake to Horseshoe Lake and wished I had waited to eat lunch until we got to the top. Instead, we stopped at Lost Lake and had to fend off cute, but aggressive, chipmunks. On the return hike, we did see some of the original trail and tried to follow it but it was a more aggressive downhill so if you prefer a gentler descent, then I’d recommend sticking to the main path. Overall, the hike is definitely worth the effort. Also, one thing to note is that once you turn onto the Forest Road to get to the trailhead and parking area, it is good to have a vehicle with higher clearance since it is pretty bumpy with a few large “potholes”.

View Sara's activity
Tyler Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

Fun trail! Incline is steady and not super difficult. Really the distance is the only factor that taxes you. Views get better the further along you get. The lake was amazing! Breathtaking! We walked around lake for about 30 mins before heading down- we were running out of time to be able to make it back down. My wife and I walked the road to the trailhead. Still not sure if a passenger car can make it- it would be pretty rough for a car, SUV, crossover, truck, Jeep will be easy. Try to drive it if you can- walking the gravel road back to car feels like eternity at the end of the hike!! Started walking down road to trail head at 11:00am- got back to car at 5:30/6p. I would recommend getting to trail head around 8am - more time at the lake before descent. FYI, you will only see middle-fork trailhead at beginning. It’s not until you get to the bigger waterfall after some switchbacks that you see lost lake trail head. Overall an awesome hike will do it again next time!!

Darren Eller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
BackpackingRocky
View Darren's activity
Brianna Sheehan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
Hiking

I’d say moderate is the perfect rating for this hike. Plenty of easy and enjoyable spots, a few more difficult with the incline. Lake is amazing and the views on the way up were gorgeous. Not too busy at all. I parked a mile from the trailhead because I wasn’t sure what the road condition would be like leading into it, but most vehicles should be fine driving it.

Jessica Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Incredible trail. Waterfalls, beautiful pine forest, increasingly beautiful vistas & the lakes are stunning. Camped at Lost Lake on 7/4 & I was grateful for it due to some storms but I intend to stay at Horseshoe Lake next time. It is gorgeous. Plenty of wildlife & people the whole way through. The forest service clearly works hard at maintaining this trail and it makes for a very pleasant hike.

Celynda Tingey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Backpacking

Completed on 6/23/18 as a 2 night backpacking trip. Trail is well marked and maintained. Moderate elevation gain up to Lost lake, my 3 legged dog hiked 4/5 miles up. We didn’t make it up to Horseshoe, windy even below tree line. Gorgeous area and lake. Lake was pretty packed but enjoyable nonetheless. Easy access to Wheeler peak from this area. Please pack out your trash and enjoy!

Richard Easterling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

Hike to Lost Lake and then Horseshoe Lake not much further up the trail. Confirmed marmot activity at Horseshoe Lake on 7/1/20.

John Mark Cobern
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Great trail. Lake is beautiful and worth the effort.

View John Mark's activity
Jon Robinson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

Great hike with an incredible finish. Uphill for sure but fairly easy day hike....with a full pack, not so much. Scenery on the way up is increasingly beautiful the higher you go, but the lake at the end is just plain spectacular.

Patrice Vigil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
HikingSnow

Great hike. Definitely not easy. Starts off with some pretty steep switchbacks and gradually gain more elevation. That piece definitely got to me. 4-5 patches of snow to get through as well on a piece of the hike that is already tricky. Camping was nice but rained the entire night. Be sure to camp tucked away from the lake, those will semi help with the wind.

kati mckinley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

There were some patches of snow covering the trail which were traversable but slick already by 1100, I recommend poles, I slipped onto my booty even with them but they saved me from a few other spills. Beautiful hike. Moderate incline (that elevation though). Amazing views. Waterfalls were full. Road up is basically a one way road but there are spots to pull to the side, vehicle with good clearance highly recommended. Overall, I can’t wait to do it again.

View kati's activity
Ryan Whiteside
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

Went to lost and horseshoe lakes. A bit of snow before getting to horseshoe but nothing that can't be navigated. The road to trailhead looks to be passable by a passenger car even though I did walk the mile to the trailhead.

Chandler George
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020
Hiking

Great woody trail on edge of ravine much of time, single track, lots is wild life, gentle climbs just a tad long, went on this day to just past bridge gave me 6.5 miles r/t back to TH. Different view is this amazing valley God gave us, loved it. Oh and for the mtbers wow a black I would rate, I’m good for blues,

Ashish P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
Running

Great trail. About 5-6 good snow patches to get through, some with mild exposure. We got hailed on at the lake - we should have started earlier. Pretty much can run the whole way down once you clear the snow patches. Wanted to go to horseshoe lake, but too much snow.

Mitch Volmerding
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 25, 2019
Hiking

The trail is moderate, my Garmin etrex 30x said it was 5.8 miles each way. Fun hike, nice trail and a beautiful lake at the end.

Sabrina Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 18, 2019
Hiking

I parked right off the road as I don’t have a good car for dirt roads - definitely recommend a high clearance vehicle for the road leading to the trailhead as there were a lot of large rocks, large pools of water, etc in the road that could be troublesome. The hike is really fantastic and like others say it isn’t too steep at any point, nice steady incline. I got to the lake around 1:30pm and it was pretty windy and cold up there so I didn’t end up staying long. No snow on the trail that I saw.