Lost Lake Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Looking for a hike that will reward you at the end? This is one of them!

Great woody trail on edge of ravine much of time, single track, lots is wild life, gentle climbs just a tad long, went on this day to just past bridge gave me 6.5 miles r/t back to TH. Different view is this amazing valley God gave us, loved it. Oh and for the mtbers wow a black I would rate, I’m good for blues,

Great trail. About 5-6 good snow patches to get through, some with mild exposure. We got hailed on at the lake - we should have started earlier. Pretty much can run the whole way down once you clear the snow patches. Wanted to go to horseshoe lake, but too much snow.

The trail is moderate, my Garmin etrex 30x said it was 5.8 miles each way. Fun hike, nice trail and a beautiful lake at the end.

I parked right off the road as I don’t have a good car for dirt roads - definitely recommend a high clearance vehicle for the road leading to the trailhead as there were a lot of large rocks, large pools of water, etc in the road that could be troublesome. The hike is really fantastic and like others say it isn’t too steep at any point, nice steady incline. I got to the lake around 1:30pm and it was pretty windy and cold up there so I didn’t end up staying long. No snow on the trail that I saw.

Awesome hike. Lost Lake is well worth the effort! The trail is good and not steep.

One of our favorite trails and well worth the effort! The lake is beautiful and the perfect spot for a picnic. Be sure and wear correct shoes and take plenty of water and snacks.

no snow as of August 3rd. beautiful flowers. decently hard hike. went on a Saturday, almost no camping spots. had to treck to horseshoe lake to find a camp. So Crowded. brought fishing poles, no fish. Rained extremely hard all night. 50+ mph winds. almost snapped tent. Wild but very pretty. I would only go if rain forecast is under 30 percent. Trail is longer than posted on maps. all trails are pretty new and very well tracked out

great until the last .5 miles. big snow drifts.

6/24/19 The AllTrail map is no longer correct. Forest service relocated the trail a few years back. The general direction still applies but the switch backs are completely wrong on the map. The new trail is very well constructed and never gets really steep. You will still hit deep snow one mile before you arrive at the lake. There's an avalanche area that can be dicey to cross dependent on the softness of the snow. Wear spikes and use poles and you should be fine. We wanted to continue to Horseshoe Lake but there were mountains of snow blocking the trail.

6.22.19 REVIEW: When you pull off the road, you’ll see cars parked in the emergency pull off area because of the steady water coming from the trail (TH is about 1 Mile away from this). 4WD/high clearance can easily navigate past the water and up to the real TH, but again, walking it only adds an extra mile. From there, you’ve got 1 mile before a split between middle forks (across the river) and Lost. You can make it up the Lost Lake trail about 2.5 miles because the snow entirely covers the trail (about 2 feet deep) and you just can’t hike it. This is there we turned around, but confirmed with other hikers that they got to the near top and couldn’t access the Lake due to a recent avalanche. We turned back and did Middle Forks, which was gorgeoussssss and a hefty 1 mile up from the river. Would love to see Lost Lake later this year/next, but the trail heading up was beautiful and a great mix of views, Forest, etc!

6/21/2019: Gorgeous hike, but didn't make it as far as we wanted due to snow cover. Plan was to take Lost lake trail to both to Lost lake and horseshoe lake and eventually to Wheeler peak. Around miles 3-4, there was snow covering the trail which was passable if you walk down some to get around piles of snow for about a half mile or so (did find a game trail which was helpful). Back on the trail about half mile or three quarters mile to Lost Lake there was an apparent avalanche that happened some time in the winter or spring that buried the trail with many many feet of snow. Many trees were bent over at this point. It was hard to find a way around so we camped out nearby overnight. In the morning we tried to find a way around but keep getting denied with more and more snow. Decided to call it and went back down. Still a very pretty hike, but just too much snow to get passed without some kind of special snow gear and/or waterproof clothing. I'm not sure how much longer it will take to melt that snow. Like mentioned in the comments, the river overflowed onto the road leading to the trail-head. Need higher clearance vehicle to get through to save extra walking. So glad for my Jeep!

Sat Jun 01 2019

Did this hike July 2018. Great hike. Easy to follow. The lake is very picturesque.

Sat Aug 04 2018

The views of the mountains make this hike well worth it! Lost Lake was pretty but I was a little disappointed. Tired and may be sore tomorrow but mentally recharged.

Mon Jul 16 2018

The incline is very steady which makes this hike easier than you’d think for the elevation you gain. I backpacked there this weekend and it was beautiful. Lost Lake is a gem.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Did a hike here once or twice back as a kid in the 90’s...let’s just say that it’s one of my few standards for comparing hikes to now.

Sun Jun 24 2018

This is an amazing 10 plus mile out and back and a Great workout!! The lake is beautiful and lots of dense forest before it opens up to amazing views of the Sangre De Christo mountains. It’s a 5 mile climb up but not to strenuous.

Wed Jun 13 2018

Absolutely stunning, a must do hike in the Taos area. Not very strenuous and views galore!

Tue Jun 12 2018

My girlfriend and I are not super active people but are young and still go out to hike about once a month at the most, we were tired and a bit sore by the end but definitely doable. Took 2 1/2 hours to the top and about 1 1/2 down. The first mile follows a beautiful creek with mini waterfalls throughout, then a large portion after is slow sloping switchbacks with minimal views until about the last mile, where there is a ridge with great views. The lake itself is incredibly clear and worth the trek, woodchucks wandering around the surrounding forest and awesome green hills surround the lake. We went on a sunday in early june around 1:30 and there was noone at the lake by the time we got there. Some camping sites at the lake as well. Enjoy!

Mon May 21 2018

This trail makes you work for the privilege of viewing the beautiful Alpine Lost Lake! I would agree with another viewer that this trail is more than moderate. My app showed 11.8 miles out and back and 51 floors. Snow on the 2ft wide ledge of the sheer cliff trail made this part of the trail treacherous. Be careful and take your time, its a journey not a race

Thu Feb 01 2018

Steep climb up, but once you're there it's breathtaking.

Sat Aug 26 2017

Great trail. Backpacked in with my 12 year old daughter and 4 year old golden retriever. We spent 2 nights at the lake. It is a beautiful spot.

Fri Aug 25 2017

Great hike on an awesome trail! Very easy to follow. Description is spot on. The lake is beautiful and views from the ridge were good! Definitely all of the 10+ miles!

Sat Aug 19 2017

Awesome trail, can't add anymore than the pictures and previous review already do. BUT, some helpful info for anyone looking into this. I spent some time trying to confirm the condition of the Forest Road 58 you take to get to the trailhead prior to our departure, and never could quite get an accurate picture. My wife and I were in a 2012 Accord. We were able to make it to the trailhead, but the road was about the max that the Accord could ever handle due to ground clearance. Just an FYI for anyone looking into this trail. Highly recommend a vehicle with decent clearance for this road. Enjoy!

Wed Aug 16 2017

This is a great trail! Easy to follow and has some beautiful views!

Sat Jul 22 2017

This place is beautiful and you get lost in it immediately. Been here only once but it will always be a favorite. Water in the lake is fantastic for viewing, relaxing. Or fishing

Sat Jul 01 2017

I did this by myself and it was a nice hike near Red River. Less traffic than Middle Fork.

Thu Jun 22 2017

Great trail with Amazing views! If you want to make it to the lake though make sure you have Hiking boots and Trekking sticks. The last mile you encounter snow and you need to be properly prepared or its a bit dangerous! Overall great trail!

Sun Oct 16 2016

It was a nice trail. It is not one of the prettiest, unfortunately. Lake Katherine and Nambe Lake in Santa Fe are much prettier. The trail was not very challenging. Decent grade. I went up via Red River, on trail number 54 (?).

Mon Sep 12 2016

Beautiful trail, but don't be fooled, it ain't no joke! If you show up and think it will be an average out and back, you may be surprised. The review says moderate, I think it's upper end moderate. Prepare for a steady, steep at times, climb. Do an extra leg day at the gym or the burn will never stop. :) I see why mountain bikers like to descend it. Now, is it worth it? When you walk around a corner and see the water through the trees...stunning. You just want to stare. Put in the work to prepare, then enjoy it.