Lost Lake Trail

Lost Lake Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Looking for a hike that will reward you at the end? This is one of them!

Awesome trail, can't add anymore than the pictures and previous review already do. BUT, some helpful info for anyone looking into this. I spent some time trying to confirm the condition of the Forest Road 58 you take to get to the trailhead prior to our departure, and never could quite get an accurate picture. My wife and I were in a 2012 Accord. We were able to make it to the trailhead, but the road was about the max that the Accord could ever handle due to ground clearance. Just an FYI for anyone looking into this trail. Highly recommend a vehicle with decent clearance for this road. Enjoy!

This is a great trail! Easy to follow and has some beautiful views!

This place is beautiful and you get lost in it immediately. Been here only once but it will always be a favorite. Water in the lake is fantastic for viewing, relaxing. Or fishing

I did this by myself and it was a nice hike near Red River. Less traffic than Middle Fork.

Great trail with Amazing views! If you want to make it to the lake though make sure you have Hiking boots and Trekking sticks. The last mile you encounter snow and you need to be properly prepared or its a bit dangerous! Overall great trail!

It was a nice trail. It is not one of the prettiest, unfortunately. Lake Katherine and Nambe Lake in Santa Fe are much prettier. The trail was not very challenging. Decent grade. I went up via Red River, on trail number 54 (?).

Warning for hikers who are lazy in their research like me! The coordinates that All Trails has are completely wrong. Wasted a day basically trying to find this spot and ended up trespassing on private property. Oops! Thanks All Trails. Went back the next day (I don't like to give up!) based on the National Park Service's directions and found it super easy, so refer to that. I'd also suggest bringing a map as once you get close to the final "summit" (if you can call it that), the trail gets a little confusing. I got lost a couple of times. But WORTH IT! Such a stunning, tranquil hike. One of my favorites that I've done in Carson.

Beautiful trail, but don't be fooled, it ain't no joke! If you show up and think it will be an average out and back, you may be surprised. The review says moderate, I think it's upper end moderate. Prepare for a steady, steep at times, climb. Do an extra leg day at the gym or the burn will never stop. :) I see why mountain bikers like to descend it.
Now, is it worth it? When you walk around a corner and see the water through the trees...stunning. You just want to stare.
Put in the work to prepare, then enjoy it.

Sunday, August 14, 2016