Lobo Peak Via Yerba Canyon Trail

Lobo Peak Via Yerba Canyon Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Valdez, New Mexico and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from June until October.

Adventurous hike! We went up in mid September on a perfect sunny day. It took us about 4 hours to get to the top and we only met a few locals during the first 1,5 miles out for morning walks. After crossing the creek 18 times (dry feet in September!), the trail narrows considerably and climbs up very steeply for most of the rest of the way. There are some washed out areas and fallen trees. Hiking poles are highly recommended for both the up and downward hike. Be prepared to slide on loose gravel on your way down and plan extra time for the return trip.
Loved the ruggedness, loneliness and splendour of the hike and amazing view on top though! Well worth the hard effort.

My wife & I did the trail on Wednesday. 4 hours up, weather was perfect, and didn't see another person the whole hike. Tougher than we expected, but the payoff was outstanding. The creek is now low enough you can cross it dry, 18 times each way if my count is right.

Great hike along water the whole time. Water was high- lots of water crossings- be prepared to get feet wet. Hiked 2 miles up for a good view - but didn't make it to the snowy top.

I love the trails in this area. The weather was perfect, in early October. This trail was very steep in places and difficult. Pace yourself, and leave early. Not many people take this trail I only saw four others all day. The Aspens were yellow and shimmering. The views are spectacular! However, this trail was actually more difficult, overall, than the Wheeler Peak trail in my opinion. It's taxing to do in one day, unless you are in top physical condition.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Used this trail to backpack up to summit over four days. Great trail with two great camping locations at 2 and 5 miles out from the trail head. Attempting summit can be a bit tricky and requires a lot of pace if you want to attempt the entire trail in one day.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

great hike and close to town!