Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lava Falls Trail is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Grants, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

Distance: 0.9 miles Elevation Gain: 32 feet Route Type: Loop

I really enjoyed hiking this trail in January. Snow was on the ground, but not so much to be a hazard, and following the cairns through the cold winter afternoon was an otherworldly experience. In the grey light the greens of the trees were practically glowing against the black landscape. So glad we made the side trip to do this!

icy

If there was no snow we would have made the whole trail and explored all day but between the #3 and #4 we were having patches of 6"+ which made it impossible to see where the deep cracks in lava rock were. One step in one of those and you've got a broken femur.

Fascinating hike! This is one that must be enjoyed by all. The terrain is rocky so closed toed shoes are recommended. The views are inspiring and I still can’t believe that the lava was from 3,600 years ago!!!

Highly unusual! Don’t just follow the cairns meander all around!

I loved the scenery, but I kept falling because I was distracted by the cool lava rock. Definitely watch your step. I would definitely go again.

Wed May 01 2019

This was a fun trail because it was so interesting and different. Try to get the pamphlet from the visitors center as the trail is really well marked, and there’s some good info in it. The footing is uneven and rough, but nice and solid. I wouldn’t recommend sandals or flip flops.

Fri Mar 08 2019

2/27/2019. This was the first time for my husband and I to hike on a lava flow. We were thankful for our sturdy shoes and the frequent cairns that marked our path. The variations in the lava was very interesting to us. There was still snow on the north slopes and shaded area from the large snowfall this area had a couple weeks ago. It did not affect the path any but the parking lot was very muddy and slick. We did not see any other hikers out there.

Thu Feb 14 2019

Short but interesting. It's fun to get out on the lava and get an up-close look at it. The rock cairns are closely spaced and easy to follow. Don't bring dogs, and wear a shoe with a hard sole.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Very cool little trail really like the lava rock towers for markers.

Sun Jan 20 2019

fun trail. trail marked by lava rock towers!

Fri Oct 12 2018

Nice trail! Easy walking over lava...maybe a couple of troublesome steps, but overall a good walk. Interesting scenery. Trail is well marked with cairns.

Tue Sep 11 2018

Sat Jun 30 2018

Challenging terrain and trail is a little hard to follow. Very enjoyable though

Tue Feb 06 2018