Lake Roberts Loop is a 2.5 mile loop trail located near Silver City, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 75 feet Route Type: Loop

You can start the loop from any point on the lake. Follow the dirt path around the lake. Eventually return you to the road where you may return to the park entrance. If you dare, there IS a trail bypassing the road.

This isn’t exactly a trail. The first half was wonderful to run: beautiful, moderate, wonderful views, but there isn’t really a way to cross the dam in the middle. I scrambled down the side and couldn’t get back up because of how steep and rocky it was. The other side of the trail, which took a while to find, was blocked by a creek which I had to wade through knee-deep since I couldn’t get back up. From there, the trail as it was on the other side disappeared and I had to do some bouldering to get through because again, I couldn’t go back. The end of the trail goes up the highway, where cars don’t have very good visibility because of the turns. This is NOT a good trail to run. The first half was absolutely wonderful though, so if you turned back there it would be perfect, otherwise this loop definitely is NOT a viable loop. My tracker clocked in at about 3.5 miles so the distance listed is not accurate.

Easy enough hike! The first time I did it I had a hard time figuring out where to go around the dam, so here’s the trick: walk towards the top of the dam and you’ll see a little bitty path to take diagonally down the side of it. Cross the creek and keep going! Expect to get your feet a little wet in the marshy areas, I wore Teva sandals for my second trip instead of soaking my hiking boots. The area was heavily trafficked, mostly by fishers and people hanging out. The first time I went I picked up all the trash I saw on the path, but it increased my hike time by about 40 minutes. People leave a lot of waste behind on this trail.

Very nice hike. Seems more like 3.5 or 4 miles though. The dam is a little tricky to navigate, but there is a trail through the rocks down the western wall (it's a little steep so take it slow). We took our dogs and it was a lot of fun. Beautiful area, most of the pics online don't do it justice.

Nice trail alongside beautiful Lake Roberts. But about 1/4 mile after re-entering trail by parking/fishing area, the trail just stops and it was impossible to get back on. Also a very steep part of trail near the dam. Disappointing overall.

Tue May 28 2019

We went counterclockwise. The dam area is hard to figure. We saw where a trail had been blazed on the dam rocks. Not much fun. Also the loop on the highway is difficult to find. Seemed more than 2.5 miles.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Trail is longer than stated, also interrupted in certain area’s. The damn has no easy or clear way around it, the trail when it moves up to the road seems to disappear. If you go too far to the right(if your going clockwise, there are some sort of bushes that can sting you. My dog must of stepped on them and refused to walk holding up his back legs, when I went down to inspect my hand hit one and I immediately felt the sting, and a small bump appeared almost instantly. The sting went away for me I’m about 10 minutes with no first aid. It seemed to bother the dog longer. Be very careful off the trail. Would not recommend unless your here to fish...

Wed Jun 06 2018

no swimming in the lake, what kind of a joke is that??? also never found the trail to get around the dam. I wanted a 5 mile run anyway!

Sun Mar 25 2018

The lake is beautiful and there were a number of different ducks on the lake. The side of the lake near the boat launch (where I started) is easy to hike. Once you get to the dam it’s difficult to see the trail and how to get around the dam. I went up to the parking area and saw a trail on the far side and assumed that was the one. It takes you down a very steep hill with loose rocks and overgrown grass. Unfortunately the trail disappeared about half way down the hill. Very tricky footing, take it slow. Then you have to cross a creek a couple of times to finally find the trail again. There was some barbed wire mixed in with the grass. The side opposite the boat launch is stunningly beautiful with small hidden grottoes. Be careful in the areas where you follow the trail along the cliff face at the water’s edge, there’s a spot where there’s a steep drop that you have to figure out how to get down without breaking a leg. That side had sections with slippery claylike mud too. I saw no evidence of a trail that you could take instead of the road back to the boat launch. This trail was a little more challenging than I thought it would be, but well worth the effort.

Sun Aug 31 2014

We hiked this trail in August 2014. They are doing some construction near the lake, not sure if that's why the water was so low. Nice hike around the lake, some areas were overgrown.

Fri Apr 06 2018