La Madera Road is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sandia Park, New Mexico and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 508 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

A windy mountain paved road that eventually turns into dirt that is used for OHV and for hiking.

BEWARE the dirt road is now private property owned by a crazy old lady who will scream at you like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum and feels safe hiding behind her phone filming you while doing it. Threatening me and my wife the whole time. Never in my life have I met a more vile human until I decided to ride this trail. I think I’ll make another trip of it just to see her loose it again. Never witnessed a senior citizen have a meltdown to that magnitude until I met her, but that’s New Mexico the land of surprises. So the “posted sign” was very weathered and easy to overlook if you’re not looking for it. It was buried in the brush and half covered. Reading the info on the trail from other sites I thought it was public land. So pulled up on the place (5 feet mind you) didn’t see any posted signs so I pulled over to the side to unload my toys and that’s when all hell broke loose. She walked up filming and immediately went into the toddler melt down threatening me and my wife the whole time as we’re trying to load up and leave. Come to find out she doesn’t like get filmed either.... IMAGINE THAT! As I told her about the property listed as public land, she acknowledged that and was aware of it and stated she is trying to fix that then immediately flipped back to threatening and name calling. There is no reasoning with this person as I tried to defuse the situation but that only seemed to escalate her rage. It’s sad this is how people resort to treating others. But with social media and YouTube being a hot bed for insults and bullying people can’t say I’m not surprised to see it spill out into the real world. Pathetic! All in all was a good ride and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this trail. Please come visit for the theatrics. I know I’ll be back.

ohv/off road driving

Could not access needed a code to get through electric gate. Disappointed

Fri Jun 08 2018

Dirt/gravel road, a little rough in spots but not bad even if you don’t have a 4X4. Also, the last part of the trail is on private land & gated off. You can’t actually drive to it. This probably should not be listed as an off-road trail since the only off-road part is not accessible. Nice views of both the Sandia Mountains & the area east of there.

Mon Nov 21 2016

Fri Sep 09 2016

we had a blast. Love the scenery.

scenic driving
Wed May 25 2016

Beautiful scenery. There's also a ghost town off of this road marked by a port-a-potty. Makes for an easy short hike or a sandy trail run.

Fri Feb 17 2012

Not bad and is easy. The hike follows the road, so missing the trail is not going to happen since the road is the trail. Usually quiet except for the occasional rancher. Along the way there are good views of the Sandias and a couple of ruins sights. One is called Hagan, but I forgot the other spot. Ruins are on private land, so please be respectful and keep out and use binoculars. You can walk as much or little as you wish or drive but hiking is more fun.

Sun Dec 26 2010

If you want to feel as if you are the only person who exists in the world, this hike is for you. It is a lonely dirt jeep trail that takes you back in time. At the end of the 7 mile journey, you are rewarded with all that remains of a town long forgotten. This town was call Hagan. The last of the residents abandoned this area in the late 50's. If you are hiking it in the summer, bring plenty of water and sunscreen as there is little shade along the way but plenty of beautiful scenry.

Mon Dec 05 2016