La Luz Trail #137 is a 13.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,572 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

This trail at the north end of the Sandias goes from the base of the mountain to the peak at 10,678'. Beautiful views of the Albuquerque valley to the west. There is a $3 fee to park. Hikers have the option to take the Tram down - $15. Check Tram hours.

Aggressive mountain lion noted on June 1, 2020 on this trail area https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cibola/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD746313

Great trail if you are looking for a challenge. A few miles of the trail isn’t shaded at all. This is a trail I would not take my husky since they are sensitive to heat and a lot of the trail wasn’t shaded. There was a bunch of people on this trail which made it less peaceful but the views of the city are beautiful.

Mostly good, except for a real rocky couple miles near the top. The ankle twisting potential is high. My route from the trailhead to the tram, along the crest trail, down the spur and back via La Luz was about 16.5 miles. Took about 6 hrs

Absolutely beautiful trail. I'm still getting used to the dry heat and altitude of NM so I don't recommend this for your first hike like I did - oops! Made it about 3 miles in before turning around, but it was still a lot of fun. Beautiful views of the mountains and city. Wear light clothing, bring a hat, and lots of sunscreen. A camelback is a must have.

Out and back in 7.5 hours. The length of the hike is what makes it difficult. Two thirds into the hike, the well groomed path becomes very rocky and it's pretty challenging too. Pack your hiking sticks!!! It is beautiful and I'm glad we made it!

My favorite trail in the ABQ area. Start early cause it takes some time to get up to the top. Bring water there is not allot of shade on the trail and it is very narrow with not allot of room to pull of to the side. Moderate the hard part is the length of the trail. My dog and I had no problem making our way thru.

icy

awesome trail, maybe less than 100 yards of ice left split up over a half mile stretch. A lot better than a month ago and totally doable now! highly recommmend

icy

May 1st: Such a beautiful trail. Was my first time hiking it, and I was really awestruck at the beauty of the trail as you ascend. There’s also some really great wildlife; I saw hummingbirds near the crest, as well as turkeys around 8500 ft. Towards the top, the last mile and a half were covered in thick snow packs. Thankfully I had my trekking poles and boots with good grip. Going up was easier, coming down was harder, just had to take my time. To clarify, did not need any ice/snow gear other than what I mentioned. But, could be helpful. Looking forward to doing this again soon and seeing if there’s been any snow that’s gone near the top.

Yesterday we hiked to just past the Chimney trail cut off, beautiful day, enjoyable 3 1/2 hour round trip hike. Most people are respectful of social distancing. Reminder- carry adequate water and be diligent of snakes.

Take a rain coat or jacket! Weather is always so unpredictable. We went half-way up with no problem but got poured on while we made our way down. Would definitely do this hike again!!

fee

As of April 29, 2020 this trail is totally doable without special snow/ice equipment. Towards the top there are a lot of areas with snow, but it is so trampled and dirty that so long as you have good hiking shoes and go slow so you don't slip, you'll be fine. It is actually not a very hard hike because the ascent is so gradual, and the view from the top by the tram station is beautiful and makes you feel very accomplished looking down over all of Albuquerque. Definitely recommend! I think the parking lot the AllTrails gives you normally has a fee, but during COVID19 it's free parking (but no bathrooms).

icy

Great trail. Semi-challenging. Still unable to complete the last mile without ice spikes.

icy

still DEFINITELY need ice grippers to get up the last 2 miles to the summit, sadly had to turn around, but still totally worth it and gorgeous!! will be back with grippers later also no fee required for parking due to, you know, the pandemic

This trail is beautiful, winds around the sandias with amazing views. But at 4pm on a Sunday, was loaded with people. This trail was very popular today. If I go again during the pandemic it would probably be an early morning. I would give 5 stars during a regular time with no pandemic, but during these times with that many people, I’d stay away.

Have hiked La Luz many times. Most recent was 3/27 and there is still snow/ ice when you get to the base of the Thumb. Before that, the trail is completely clear. Great gradual inclining trail!

icy

Made it 2 miles from the peak, too much ice. Would not chance pushing past that point right now without the proper equipment

Great trail, would put as moderate and harder as you get towards the tram