La Cueva Canyon Trail

La Cueva Canyon Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Great for trail runs. There is a whole system of trails in the area that make for many different distances. As of 5-16-17 it appeared that trails had new carsonites (markers) placed on them. Would give 5 stars if not for the oil production as well as dirt bags that use the entrance of the designated recreation area as a dumping ground.

First of all there are pictures and reviews on here are not la cueva, looks like somewhere around Guadalupe peak or McKittrick canyon. That being said, these trails are great for biking/hiking for being so close to town and are always well maintained other that the signs probably need to be replaced but anyone using any type of app like this can easily pull up their location and figure out where they are seeing as you have cell phone service the whole time(or anywhere I've been on it)

Where is the running water? Never seen it... what about that picture inside the limestone cave? How do i get there?

I want to point out a couple of things to future hikers. First of all, the access road is an extremely rough, unpaved road suited only for SUV'S and 4 x4 pick up trucks which I didn't have. Secondly, the trailhead is poorly marked and not even identified by name. Thirdly, the trail goes right through cattle grazing land. How,do I know there isn't a mad bull among them ready to charge at me with no barbed wire fence separating us? I didn't get far enough on the trail to see anything scenic, so I was not impressed with the location.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Friday, February 21, 2014

The wife and I enjoyed an early May hike in Last Chance. Seventy degrees and light breeze. Easy trail for old fokes. We did not make it to the springs but at our turn around point we looked back and up to see the elephant. (see pictures)

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Moderately easy, very scenic and there is clear running water running through this desert oasis! Great as an overnight backpack for a family with young children. Avoid the summer months.