La Cueva Canyon Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 374 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail for living in the area. I think it could easily be doubled in length as I ended up cutting back on the "back to the truck trail" which is what this so shows as the full loop.

Terrain and vegetation make it interesting enough for a pleasant hike. The short access road to the trailhead can be used by any car if you go slow.

Bring your map there are several confusing junctions. I think there are much prettier trails in the national park nearby.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Wed Mar 27 2019

Wed Feb 13 2019

Good local trail with some nice views up the gullies. This trail has plenty of loose rocks so be careful if you are trail running, but the trail does keep you interested.

Mon Jan 21 2019

grt to trail run! technical and some nice dirt areas too! grt workout

Sun Aug 12 2018

Mon Apr 23 2018

Great trails. Friendly service. Had a great time

Fri Apr 06 2018

Great trail. Takes a lot of agility with all the rocks. A lot of steady uphills that will work you pretty good. Beware it’s over 4.7 miles. I think I ended around 6 miles total.

Fri Mar 30 2018

Easy to follow for the most part. Also able to knock it out in less than 2 hrs. I recommend early morning or afternoon

Tue Feb 06 2018

Pretty awesome trail, did not expect to find something like this in the Carlsbad area. I did some trail running but as a mountain biker, I'd say this would be a pretty good mtb trail with several technical sections. Trail is actually much longer than what's listed. I ran 6.5 and actually probably cut off a couple more miles. There is a pretty long loop to the south of what the map shows. It's in lower, flatter country but still pretty enjoyable. Would be more appropriate for beginner mountain bikers, runners, etc. There don't seem to be many bailout options down there though. Would like to try to find some way to upload my loop...

Wed May 17 2017

Great for trail runs. There is a whole system of trails in the area that make for many different distances. As of 5-16-17 it appeared that trails had new carsonites (markers) placed on them. Would give 5 stars if not for the oil production as well as dirt bags that use the entrance of the designated recreation area as a dumping ground.

Tue Apr 11 2017

First of all there are pictures and reviews on here are not la cueva, looks like somewhere around Guadalupe peak or McKittrick canyon. That being said, these trails are great for biking/hiking for being so close to town and are always well maintained other that the signs probably need to be replaced but anyone using any type of app like this can easily pull up their location and figure out where they are seeing as you have cell phone service the whole time(or anywhere I've been on it)

Sat Apr 08 2017

Where is the running water? Never seen it... what about that picture inside the limestone cave? How do i get there?

Mon Feb 20 2017

I want to point out a couple of things to future hikers. First of all, the access road is an extremely rough, unpaved road suited only for SUV'S and 4 x4 pick up trucks which I didn't have. Secondly, the trailhead is poorly marked and not even identified by name. Thirdly, the trail goes right through cattle grazing land. How,do I know there isn't a mad bull among them ready to charge at me with no barbed wire fence separating us? I didn't get far enough on the trail to see anything scenic, so I was not impressed with the location.

Fri Feb 21 2014

The wife and I enjoyed an early May hike in Last Chance. Seventy degrees and light breeze. Easy trail for old fokes. We did not make it to the springs but at our turn around point we looked back and up to see the elephant. (see pictures)

Sat Apr 14 2012

Moderately easy, very scenic and there is clear running water running through this desert oasis! Great as an overnight backpack for a family with young children. Avoid the summer months.