La Cueva Canyon Trail

La Cueva Canyon Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

I want to point out a couple of things to future hikers. First of all, the access road is an extremely rough, unpaved road suited only for SUV'S and 4 x4 pick up trucks which I didn't have. Secondly, the trailhead is poorly marked and not even identified by name. Thirdly, the trail goes right through cattle grazing land. How,do I know there isn't a mad bull among them ready to charge at me with no barbed wire fence separating us? I didn't get far enough on the trail to see anything scenic, so I was not impressed with the location.

The wife and I enjoyed an early May hike in Last Chance. Seventy degrees and light breeze. Easy trail for old fokes. We did not make it to the springs but at our turn around point we looked back and up to see the elephant. (see pictures)

Moderately easy, very scenic and there is clear running water running through this desert oasis! Great as an overnight backpack for a family with young children. Avoid the summer months.