Both, my gps and google maps took me the wrong way to get to this place. From Airport Rd. and Cerrillos intersection go east for roughly 3-5 miles. You'll come to the brown historical site sign and see a parking lot.
For the next bit, I had to make two trips to the site because there aren't hardly any directions once you get there. Follow the wooden arrow signs up to the cliff. An arrow points up. It's a very rocky and semi-dangerous climb so be sure to have some good boots on. Don't climb over the cliff, the Petroglyphs are on the cliff wall. Go left and you'll see a vague path. If you go right, you won't see hardly any, and waste a day like I did. There are hundreds up there, maybe even thousands. When you look down to the dirt road, roughly when you align with the fork in the road, you'll be near the glyphs. If you continue going left the path gets more rocky and eventually turns into private property; go there at your own risk.
Take lots of water, I went through a gallon. There isn't much for shade up there. It seems like a good spot for rattlesnakes, but I didn't see any in my two day visit. If you want an easy way to get back to the parking lot, try to find a way to the top of the cliff and there's an easy path to follow at the top.
You'll hear occasional gunfire up there, but it's coming from an outdoor shooting range a Camel Tracks a few miles away, and they shoot in the opposite direction of this site. I'd say the entire experience is roughly three hours long with a short stop for a lunch break.
Again, takes lots of water and wear some good boots, the trail is short but very rocky. And, please do take care of the ancient glyphs. Some jerks like to go up there and scratch their own garbage into the rock face.