La Bajada Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It was fun drive out, black car was completely tan colored upon arrival. Awesome view from the top. Drove back to I-25 then tried to visit the bottom from the Pueblo but access to the trail was fenced off.

Check out the National Park Service for more detailed information. https://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/el_camino_real_de_tierra_adentro/La_Bajada_Mesa.html
Absolutely breathtaking views from the Mesa but the trail/road going down has been fenced off and closed. You really need an suv with a decent clearance as the roads are very rough. I have a RAV4 and made it fine but was jostled around plenty. Do not go after rain or snow!
It is worth the trip just to take in the amazing history coupled with the landscape.
There is a point you can go left and maybe meet another trail or lower portion but I didn’t have time to try it.

From nps.gov- Do not attempt to drive down the escarpment since the road is very rough and since the Pueblo of Cochiti land is half way down the slope. Permission is needed from the pueblo for any access to its lands in this area.

off road driving
Thursday, April 20, 2017

Not completely closed, only the bottom section is that is on Indian land, the top sections are still open but you have to go thru Santa Fe to get there.

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Drove all the way here and the trail is closed. Disappointing waste of time.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

This looks like a lovely hike, but we drove to it and found ourselves on private roads that said "keep out". Off of 16 we turned towards "Tetilla Peak Recreation Area" but there was no actual road marking that it was Tetilla Rd. We can to a barrier on the road and had to go right, but it does seem to follow the map with the hard right. We found the dirt road in the directions (when you zoom in) but no trail. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Monday, January 25, 2016

I don't know the history of this place but I could feel it. The trail is what I take to be a working ranch road. But you might get the feeling, like I did, that you're walking one Old Road. Maybe the original path up the ancient escarpment, La Bajada. Each hairpin and attendant straightaway offers surprising variations of consistently mind-blowing vistas of the Ortiz, Jemez, and Sandia ranges. Our youthful companions and a sudden drop in temperature, limited our approach to the top. A friendly, fellow hiker told us that you can make a loop of it by closing the northern and southern spurs by hiking along the mesa rim.

Saturday, March 07, 2015

Neat area with lots of surprises. most just do the west side and up top. The east is better.

Thursday, March 10, 2016