Katherine Lake

Katherine Lake is a 11 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,326 feet Route Type: Out & Back

At about 4.4 mi, turn right on skyline trail rather than vearing left on Windsor trail (recommendation from previous reviewer)! I almost stuck with the trail on the map, but a trail angel pushed me in the right direction. What a great and challenging hike! I was just sweaty enough to make a quick,?cold plunge mildly appealing. Then, I put on my dry clothes just in time for the gray clouds to scurry me back down the mountain. I saw bluejays, woodpeckers, wild pheasants, deer, Long horn sheep, and even a MOUNTAIN LION!!! Luckily it was on the opposite side of the creek and was running away from me.... My first big cat sighting

We turned right and had 40+lb packs. It’s doable, done it. Jumped in Lake Kathrine after. Awesome experience

Rough hike with lovely scenery!

This a really nice hike, but we aware this the trail on this map is incorrect. About 4.4 miles in you'll reach a fork. You can either go right onto the Skyline Trail or straight ahead onto the Winsor trail. TURN RIGHT! Following the path as directed will take you into steep and challenging backcountry. Don't even think of trying to carry a pack back here. We saw 5 rams at the lake, which may not be sure common, but was great to see nonetheless.

Great hike from camping at lake Stewart to lake katherine. Skyline breaks from Windsor at a point not on AllTrails map. There is a sign though pointing it out as pictured. Just follow the sign and you’ll make it. Very well maintained trail the whole way.

Sat Jul 26 2014