Jordan Hot Springs Via Little Bear Canyon Trail

Jordan Hot Springs Via Little Bear Canyon Trail is a 13.4 mile out and back trail located near Datil, New Mexico that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

This trail has it all.

This was our third annual trip to the Jordan. This time we took some time to go check out the cliff dwellings first. It is located two minutes away and takes about an hour in total. We hiked to the Jordan, (awesome), we stayed two nights, and hiked out. After the hike out we hit one of the cultivated spring resorts along the 15. It cost $5 to enter and had three pools. There is nothing as satisfying as a hot soak after a 7 mile hike just before a long drive home.

my third time here......awesome trail, and hot springs. ...please let's keep this place beautiful. ......you can see the impact that us as humans have on the area........pack it in , pack it out. ......let's keep this a gem of a place !

A great hike, much like the Aravaipa Canyon, in Arizona but without the 50 person per day limit. Found the hot springs fairly easily because we had a map. They are tucked away on the side of hill, about 30 feet above the river. When a friend and I went, there was a guy camping out just above the springs and he was offering free back rubs (he was naked) to all visitors. Beside this funny story to tell friends, it was a great experience. The pool at the hot spring itself is known to contain a bacteria known to cause meningitis so submerging your head is not recommended. Not very hot. just barely hot enough, in my opinion.

a good challenging hike with the reward of the hot spring at the end I have nothing else new to say that hasn't been said extra shoes, socks , expect to get wet . the only thing peculiar that happened to me was when I was at the hot springs a family was there a husband a wife and two children and the two adults decided to get in naked which I thought was kind of weird considering they were with their children other than that a great adventure a great hike and very challenging o yeah one last thing not a good hike for a canine mine got pretty beat up it there

I'm convinced these hot springs are actually the fountain of youth. ♡♡♡

So far the best trail I've been to. I found it to be a bit difficult since it was so long and it had many different terrains you had to go through but nonetheless that's what made it worth it. Very amazing views. The hot spring was definitely worth it and do not forget to bring extra shoes as you will be crossing a river repeatedly and getting wet.

This was my favorite trail of our week long trip in New Mexico. There is so much variance in the landscape and the Biomes. Once you are in the canyons there are fields of wild flowers and wild mint growing along the river. We went in september and it was incredible.Tthe spring is actualy a little tricky to find. you just have to look for aquatic plants growing along the canyons. We found the large pool by following the spring from the river. Don't look for hot water or anything like that. It did not help. Everyone said you can't miss the spring but we sure had a hard time finding it. There are about 1,257 river crossings on this trail. Just bring shoes you don't mind getting wet. The water was not especially high or fast. you are just wet for most of this hike. Great camping spots. Try to camp near the Spring if possible. The sites seem to me a little better up river. Also, We did find a large rattle snake in one of the fields. He let us know he was there long before we got too close and it was not a big deal but something to be aware of.

Great backpacking hike. The campground is disgusting. People leave their trash and toilet paper right next to the camp sites. Next time I go i'll be looking for a different area to sleep.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The hike to these springs definitely pays off when you get to soak in the hot springs. Such a beautiful place here in the Gila Wilderness. I recommend bringing water shoes for the many river crossings. Also check the weather ahead of time, it rained up the canyon and the river rose a few feet. Had to hike out a day later to wait for the river to recede in order to cross. Such a beautiful place to backpack and camp to. I'd say it was moderately difficult.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Exactly 15 crossings to get there. Camp sites near by. Clean area. Beautiful!

Saturday, June 28, 2014

The total hiking distance from the TJ Corral will take you through varying types of terrain and ends after snaking across the Gila River some 15 times. Flooding has washed out much of the trail but watching for rock cairns and simply following the middle fork from the Little Bear campsite will get you there with no problem. Look for a green area with warm water flowing from the mountain face to locate the springs. It's worth the effort once you find it.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Absolutely gorgeous hike to the springs! It has been incredibly washed out from the flooding in 2013 but it is still beautiful. Bring appropriate water shoes as there are many, many river crossings....water sandals with wool socks is a good idea as it will keep the sand from irritating your feet (I know this from experience).

Monday, November 11, 2013

A Beautiful hike through the Gila wilderness. The hike to Jordan is approximately 12 miles from TJ Corral, which can be done as an overnight backpacking trip or an adventurous out and back trip. I recommend overnight, at least one night. I first hiked to Jordan in May 2013. The hot springs was the last stop on a four day backpacking trip from Snow Lake to TJ Corral. An overall 44 mile trip. An amazing trip. When hiking in the Gila water shoes are a must as there are many river crossings. Pack plenty of extra wool socks. Trekking poles are a great idea which give you extra stability when crossing rivers. Nights get cold in the Gila, so prepare for 10 degrees below what you read in the forecast. Any trip in the Gila is worth every step. It's a beautiful wilderness I can't say enough about. My favorite wilderness.