Jackson Lake Trail

Jackson Lake Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Flora Vista, New Mexico that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

They must of cleaned up the area because I didn’t see any trash. There isn’t much of a developed trail. The area has potential to be developed into a decent trail system.

Had never been here before and was expecting a lot of trash. Apparently they've cleaned up the area recently as we encountered very little little litter throughout the hike. The lake is a pretty oasis amongst the badlands and occasional cottonwood tree. A very exposed hike with very little shade - It was hot even in May. Enjoyable but best avoided at the height of summer.

Decent spot for locals to stretch their legs but certainly not a destination to visit. I felt like I was missing something on the west side of the lake but I never did find any clear trail to take you closer to the hills and dunes, which were kinda cool and one of the nicer features of the area. We just scrambled around. Beware broken glass which seemed to be just about everywhere, I was worried about my doggo's paws. Lots of deer tracks.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Very easy hike around the lake. Unfortunately there is trash all over the area. The parking lot is terrible/ full of beer cans and fast food containers.
There was one guy fishing when I was there, share my disgust for the way the area had been abused.The redeeming part of the hike was a huge Bald Eagle sitting in a tree next to the lake. Also a big Crane.
Could be nice if the locals could get it cleaned up.

Saturday, October 19, 2013

It was a cool hike because I used to fish here as child. I could see it and remember it when I was little,but now it is like an ecological disaster. I hiked up the lake and went south down along the lake and then west up the old lake road. I hiked west up the old lake entrance road coming in to the lake from the west. Turned right as soon as I reached the top of the ridge and continued north until I came to a New Mexico Game and Fish Wildlife Area fence. Hiked about another mile and found the double arch. GPS said 5.2 miles, pretty cool hike also because of the massive amount of 1970 beer can's. It was like being an archeologist from the future

Saturday, July 29, 2017