Jack's Creek Trail

Jack's Creek Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from April until October.

This is a top notch trail for the Pecos Wilderness. Wildflower displays are impeccable. There is a large stand of Rocky Mountain Bristlecone Pine at Pecos Baldy Lake that is unique. The trail is terrific for wildlife viewing as there are lots of deer in the area, and the jewel in the crown is that there are many Bighorn Sheep in the area. We saw a herd of 30+ when we were there. You may see some Pika and Marmot in the rocky spots too. Excellent day hikes from the lake up East Pecos Baldy and Trailrider's Wall too. I would say that this is one of my favorite hikes in the area. I highly recommend it.

Started the trail on May 22nd with the aim of climbing South Truchas. Trail was generally fine until the first creek crossing. There were dozens of locations in the burned forest where downed trees forced you off the trail. After the burned forest deep snow cover made the trail difficult, but not impossible to follow. These combined obstacles made the trail turn from a moderate to a difficult hike.

I tried to continue the trail to Truchas, but the land was impassable. The trail gets lost in the snow in the first quarter mile. It took me an hour total to go a half mile, mostly off trail since the snow covered the route. You could probably make your own route but be prepared to climb steep, slippery, snow covered hills off trail for a few days if you want to progress further than Pecos Baldy Lake at this time of year.

Despite this, the land is beautiful. Great variety of trails and very impressive vistas. Seeing Pecos Baldy and Truchas was truly a majestic site. This trail would be incredible during the summer.

Left Jack's Creek campground on May 18 with the intention of spending the night at Pecos Baldy Lake. Got to about 1/4 mile of the lake and decided to turn around due to losing the trail because of complete, deep snow cover. Great variety of trails thought the hike. Dense forest, wide open meadows, burned areas (this is where most of the downed trees are located) and a creek crossing.

Please note: in early 2017 there are warning signs at the trailhead that say the trail is impassable due to downed trees. I of course didn't think it would be that bad so I went for it. It is not impossible to get through but it makes a moderate hike very difficult. Some places it would be easy to lose the trail. I plan on going back this summer and if the sign is still there I will take another route.

Great trail. Santa Fe National Forest is one of my favorite places to hike.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Great beautiful and easy trail

Friday, August 05, 2016

Loved this trail. We took our three kids, two in back packs. It wasn't easy but the trail was so nicely marked, quiet and had excellent views that it was well worth it. We didn't make it to the tip top because one of our kids had had enough. We started from horse camp.

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Steep. 3000ft gain in 7miles up to pecos baldy lake. Beautiful. Ascend to east pecos baldy. Easier done in mid-late summer due to high drifts at high elevation. Next time I'll camp by the creek and summit pecos baldy from there. No reason to camp at the lake, just adds an extra 1000ft and 2-3miles with packs...

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Very difficult trail. Acclimate your respiratory before you hit this all the way to Truchas Peak. Very fast elevation gain.