Hyde Memorial State Park Circle Trail

Hyde Memorial State Park Circle Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There is a $5 charge for trail use.

Fairly steep first mile and a half or so and then downhill the rest; definitely more challenging than I had anticipated. The views were really pretty, you gain about 1,000 feet so towards the top you're high up and get good views of all the gorgeous mountains around you!

Quite steep incline and lot of elevation gain for not great views. Trees are nice and a good amount of shade.

First half of the hike went steeply up and the second half steeply downward. Didn’t expect it to be so challenging, though the views were worth it.

The weather was perfect too but the elevation and shade helps to keep us cool. In the East trail we came across a difficult section with lot of switch backs that tested our endurance. The views are average but worth it. There are also a few good looking camp ground spots we could see if we wanted to stay overnight.....

Great workout and close to home. While listening to an audiobook I quickly scrambled up the hill but was more careful on my way down. Didn’t want to slip on rocks. How lucky we are to have the luxury of an evening hike before dinner.

We did both the east and west circle trail and the falls trail which is a short 0.5 mike trail off of the east circle trail. I felt that the west circle trail, which is the longer and harder of the two, was a lot of work for little reward as far as the views. While there were some cool views of several different mountain ranges and Santa Fe, they were almost all mostly obscured by trees and there were no opportunities to really get a good panoramic view despite how high the trail climbs. If you’re looking for a good workout, it was definitely a challenging hike on the west circle. The falls trail was partially frozen and I’d like to go back, but I would not hike the west circle trail again.

Nice little workout and great view

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Beautiful view at the top! Moderate climb but it's totally worth it! Didn't find the waterfall trail in this app, but if you're doing this trail follow to the waterfall, it has an amazing view as well!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Beautiful hike, though I'd probably rate it moderate/challenging. Just when you think you're done hiking uphill, there's more uphill to hike ;)

A couple things to keep in mind: One, the hike costs five dollars. This is a hike through the Hyde State Park not the SF National Park. So you have to pay a day use fee. I'm sure you could "get away with" not paying but I personally feel a trail this well-maintained is worth the five bucks.

Second thing to keep in mind: About a mile and a half before the hike ends you cross over the highway to continue the trail. It gets a little confusing so I recommend taking a picture of the trail map at the trailhead. There's not a lot of cell service up there so being able to reference the picture on your phone would come in handy. I wish I had done that. I got lost. But still a great hike!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Thursday, May 11, 2017

easy to jump on right from campground. pretty steep going up , the steep downhill. fairly fast hike with beautiful views !

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Did East trail to Water Fall trail. Was snow covered and beautiful.

Friday, April 07, 2017

It seems to me that the loop is longer than 2.8 miles. My phone recorded more than twice that.

Friday, December 16, 2016

Hiked with my girlfriend last weekend. We're from Texas. It was difficult since we weren't acclimated. Took 2 hours to finish. So worth it! Amazing hike with a great view of Santa Fe at the top. The last mile had an inch of snow on the trail.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Went with my family to hike on this trail last summer for my birthday. It was a good hike with some challenging rocks to navigate through. Good cardiopulmonary workout overall!

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Great trail with nice views! Pretty steep in a few areas. Great workout! My friend and I are visiting the area and are not experienced hikers. We finished it in about two hours.

Monday, August 01, 2016

I did this last summer (2015) with my then 14 year old son and just earlier this week (end of July 2016) with my wife, 10 year old daughter, 13 year old son, and carried my one year old daughter in a baby backpack. The first mile or so starting from the South part of the West Loop is a good uphill workout. The kids felt the reward of finally having a constant downhill before crossing the street to reach the East part of the loop. Beautiful views and some resting spots along the way with benches and even a couple picnic tables at the top.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This trail is a large loop in the national park that crosses the road to the Santa Fe Ski area. The east side is relatively easy with an option to see a small water fall and traverses primarily through the campgrounds. The west side is more difficult and if you take the trail clockwise ascends from 8,500-9,500 ft in the first mile. Views of the surrounding valleys are spectacular from the peak. Good day hike with good exercise.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

State park service rates this as difficult due to the 1000 ft vertical climb in first mile. Be prepared for challenging hike with beautiful views as your reward. Actual mileage is 3 miles.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Really pretty and moderate hike with beautiful views and alpine forests. Not overly demanding at all. The second half of the hike was a bit confusing after we came back to the road but other than that I enjoyed it.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Awesome, and what a view when you reach the top!!!
We did it anti-clockwise and reached the top at sunset: I'd recommend going clockwise so that if you spend a tad too long looking at the sunset you can get down to the road quicker and not get caught in the dark!
But best hike in these parts yet.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

For a short trail some quite intense vertical. Really enjoyed it. Great views from the top down across Santa Fe. Distance is wrong. I measured it at 3.5 on my Garmin. Note - there is $5 charge for trail use.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

fabulous trail, good work out, took 1.5 hours

Friday, November 20, 2015

Just completed in 6 inches of snow -was wonderful- quiet, peaceful and yet challenging - loved it !

Monday, October 26, 2015

Great time. Chilly in November but nice colors.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

This was my first "moderate hike. I struggled, but in a good way. I am new to hiking and felt quite a sense of accomplishment once I reached the top of this trail. I laughed out loud when I thought I was almost done, coming back to the road and all, then realizing I had an entire side of the road to hike. Lots of fun.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Beautiful and a great after-work workout.

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

This is a fun trip that rewards you with great views. Some steep parts, but overall not too difficult. You can use the Black Canyon parking lot to keep your car off the main road.

Friday, May 01, 2015

Great fun on the circle trail for a couple of newbies from the flatlands. Windy and cold, but we finished it going counterclockwise.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014

A great all year trail, I also did volunteer repair on it with my co workers. Very easy on the body, dogs go crazy after squirrels and I believe chipmunks. keep an eye open for mountain bikers though (not that I mind them, just they pop up unexpectedly at times)