Horseshoe Lake Trail

Horseshoe Lake Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful, not very strenuous gradual incline. Only difficulty is the length. I did this trail and backpacked to lost lake set up camp then hiked up to horseshoe. One of my all time favorite hikes.

Great hike, gradual climb the whole way. First 2 miles was a lot of dead-fall making it very slow going. Lake was nice and the views were amazing. Spent the night at the lake and the wind was at a minimum making the weather very enjoyable. Dogs also had a great time.

I had a blast here! Very pretty easy going Trail.. spent the night by the lake.. well worth the climb!

Not as nice as Wheeler Peak or Lost Lake, but great hike. Tons of fun

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Excellent slow climbing trail. Not technical at all, but be sure to bring a water filter and carry at least a liter when you can. The maps aren't spot on, but the trail is easy to follow and well-maintained.

OK for young and inexperienced hikers.

There IS a sign at the lost lake/Horseshoe junction.

Camping near the bridge crossing, and several other sites along the trail. Just remember to camp on durable surfaces and practice LNT principles!

On my next go, I'll camp just down from the lake, and hit Wheeler in the early morn.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Beautiful trail! We took it from East Fork and went up. I had my 8 year old with me and she did it as well.

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Easy trail with beautiful views all seasons. About 6 miles.
Take Middle Fork or come to same via East Fork trail from end of NM 576