Holy Ghost Creek Trail

Holy Ghost Creek Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November.

Holy Ghost Creek (Trail 283) is located east of Torrero, N.M. off F.R. 122 at the end of Holy Ghost Campground. Good trail to get you to the lake country for Backpacking too. Dirt trail that crosses a stream several times and have several switchbacks.

Was suggested by a friend. Was a mostly pleasant hike, however the last stretch of the trail leaves the creek and goes up a dangerous uphill. The hike up is rewarding however since Stewart lake is only a few miles away and there are lots and lots of beautiful aspen and fern patches.

From the parking it took 0.7 miles to get to the actual trailhead. You will walk through the Forest Service Campground, around a Restricted Use gate, then the trail begins by a pavilion and restroom.

We only hiked an hour since we had more hours to drive on our journey. What portion we did was a pleasant trail through meadows, ponderosa pine, and aspens.

I'd like to do the whole trail someday.

fly fishing

Great for flyfishing

Great hike. Realize there are 2 trailheads. One high and one low along the river. They meet up about a mile down the path.

Though I was not filled with what so many do not know is the light of the sun, still, I felt the reverence for nature which aught to be commonly known to the righteous... Upon reaching the climax of this holy trail a calming spirit falls over you as you travel through the forest. The late afternoon light casting beams with some hidden purpose enters the soul, pulling you further out, further up...

Monday, July 11, 2016

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Beautiful hike! A nice little bit of uphill climb at the end where it goes up to the ridge. Due to the overall elevation I'd probably rate this one as "moderate".

Friday, May 20, 2016

Absolutely beautiful. There was a bit more uphill than I expected from the "easy" classification, but overall I would highly recommend it. The creek is lovely and it provides some much appreciated greenery.

Monday, May 09, 2016

Great hike. Went with my wife that was pregnant and walked 8miles on the trail. Great. Crossed the creek a couple times and had fun

Monday, March 14, 2016

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Monday, August 10, 2015

This trail did not disappoint. Lovely meadows with wild flowers. Pine and aspen forests with waist high ferns. The creek was very active but we kept our feet dry despite 6 or 7 crossings. Hiking poles came in handy.

The turnaround spot is marked by a wooden sign at the intersection with Winsor trail. It is at the top of a pretty nice climb. I'm not sure I would call this trail "easy".

GPS led us astray on way to trail head. Keep your eyes peeled for the soft left turn off of 63 to Holy Ghost. The road is very rough but we did ok in our rented Sonata.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Nice little trail. Lots and lots of wildflowers. The trail ends at the creek. There are some log crossings that allow you to cross the creek and explore a bit. The creek is documented as having native trout but it is very small and one would need to find some deeper areas for fishing. Over all a very nice hike with some awesome views.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Beautiful trail plush with green and wild flowers, a nice juxtaposition to the abq desert.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Monday, May 11, 2015

This is a beautiful trail for plant identification. As one previous review stated, there is an incredible variety of flowers. This is one of the most botanically diverse areas I've found in New Mexico.