Hillsboro Peak via Black Range Crest Trail

Hillsboro Peak via Black Range Crest Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hillsboro, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,194 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Alot of trees down on the trail. Snow is various area and slippery at times. High winds today for sure but that was expected. Sometimes when you look at the weather one needs to look at the all trails not the town because it was 15 degrees different starting at a low 21. Great day, may need to invest in some crampons for ice in the future.

I had an awesome time on this trail. I hiked it by myself and saw absolutely no other soul the whole time. Great views, especially at the top, the entire way. There’s a cabin at the top you can stay in which I thought was pretty cool. I did the whole hike in 3hrs and 28mim. One thing is i clocked it at a total of 10.29miles, I stayed on the trail the whole time, and the elevation gain was only 1,900ft. Start in the morning while it’s cool for sure! Will hike this again for sure.

Was a very great hike in. Very lush and green.

Awesome trail with beautiful views of surrounding area . Only made it about halfway due to a late start in the day. Will do again!

Great day hike. Our GPS put us at 10.5 miles. Great view, very nice fire watchman at the lookout. Nice trail for taking your dog. Would like to go back and spend the night.

I was 90 minutes into the hike when I came across a cinnamon bear! The bear was in a tree 20 feet from me, and he scampered down and hid in the brush. I stood still for three minutes or so. I wasn’t sure if it was a bear or a cougar, and I was reluctant to turn around because it was a good hike, but I decided discretion was better than valor and I returned to the trailhead. Nice hiking except for the bear (or mountain lion).

Sat Sep 29 2018

Nice hike with great photo opportunities Trail is in great condition and the grade is good for all ages , you will get some elevation with this hike

Sat Aug 18 2018

Super fun hike. My friend got elevation sickness towards the end. The rangers up at the public use cabin were very friendly and helpful. The cabin has a wood burning oven that's great for cooking and keeping warm overnight. Fire towers great for pics.

Thu May 10 2018

Really fun, but like one of the other commenters, I got altitude sickness. I recommend bringing some Peptobismol pills.

Sun Apr 22 2018

We took Black Range Crest trail 79 to Hillsboro Peak (10,000ft) which was 5 miles 1900ft of elevation gain , one way. We did this as a day hike which took us 5 hours and the dogs ran free off leash. What a wonderful trail with magnificent views despite burn forest due to the Silver Fire of 2013. The trail that runs off-camber either to the east or west of the central ridge. The incline is gradual. You keep walking on either side of the mountain range and crossing over saddles. This offers a different perspective of the range each time you cross over a saddle. About 3/4 of the trail is on the burnt part of the forest and is very exposed but the trail is well maintained. On the final approach to Hillsboro Peak, the last 1 mile or so offers plenty of tree cover. At the top of the peak is a fire tower which allows you to see the entire Black Range and you can see the Organ Mountains and Franklins in a distance. There is also a ranger residence, a pit toilet, and a one-room log cabin on the summit. The cabin is for overnight public use on a first-come basis. The Ranger was very nice who took us up the fire tower and pointed out the terrain surround the Peak. We didn’t see a soul on our approach to the peak. As we were coming down, we ran into a party of four that plan on spending the night on the peak. And as we approached the parking lot, a few families that were just exploring the trails by Emory Pass. All the parties we ran into had their dogs off leash and everyone was very friendly. Besides that, the rest of the hike was very secluded and quiet. There is another Black Range Crest Trail which intersects Trail 79 to the McKnight and Reed Peaks about 40 miles away. So this would be a great weeklong backpacking adventure, bagging a few peaks along the way. The Gila Forest and Aldo Leopold Wilderness is about 20 degrees cooler than El Paso and makes for a great getaway from the EP heat.

Tue Mar 13 2018

Well maintained. Does travel mostly through a old burn scar, so be careful if it’s windy.

Sun Nov 11 2018