Hidden Mountain

Hidden Mountain is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Los Lunas, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 436 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Most easy travel on a dirt road with a short segment to the top where the ruins are that is strenuous for about 10 - 15 minutes, but overall it is easy. Some nice rock formations, Petroglyphs and Ruins. The highlight is a Decalogue stone at the bottom of the mountain but there is lots to see up top if you walk around and explore. Several ruins sites and petroglyphs. Shemite in nature.

Visited Hidden Mountain on 3-4-19. I parked on the southern edge of the BNSF "storage lot," beside the opening in the fence, with no consequences (this, however, could depend upon the circumstances). On foot, I headed SE from there, requiring me to cross Garcia Arroyo - not recommended for those not strong and sure-footed; it's a steep drop and climb to get in and out of the arroyo. To avoid Garcia Arroyo, continue driving south past the storage yard a few hundred yards, crossing the arroyo on a bridge, and attempt to park by the fee station for a nearby landfill. If someone is operating the fee station, he or she might hassle you, I don't know. In any event, however you cross the arroyo, hike SE along the edges of this little cluster of hills - what? - a quarter of a mile? - until you spot a barbed-wire fence with a "vertical cattle-guard" entrance; you can't miss it. Then, simply follow the path that leads up the cleft-like canyon to the summit of the mountain cluster. The (famous?) Decalogue is along the trail, about a quarter of the way up the mountain. It's a half-hour climb to the summit, trail not groomed in many places, not recommended for those not sure-footed. Now, when I took the route on which I crossed Garcia Arroyo on foot, I encountered not a single sign that reads "No Trespassing." Maybe that signage exists if you avoid the route I took. Bottom line, I don't know who or what "owns" this mountain. My DeLorme map does NOT indicate the mountain is on Laguna Indian land. On the contrary, the map suggests the mountain may be on either New Mexico state land or BLM land. But again, I encountered NO "No Trespassing" signs; your experience might be different. The mountain offers a nice half-day getaway for the sure-footed. The views from its summit are gorgeous. I've been climbing this mountain for 30 years. Maybe some day I'll encountered someone there who'll claim private ownership and tell me to keep out. Until then, however, I'll continue to climb it. Smoke on your pipe and put that in. Like they say, take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Sun Nov 04 2018

We tried to go there today (11-03-28), and it seems, from Michael Cain's comment below that we actually did take the right path/road (we went through the red gate on the left hand side of the road, after the 'Rio Puerco' landfill sign), but because of all the "keep out" signs around and the fact that there were no indications whatsoever, we became afraid to be on somebody's private property and came back after 20 mins.... ! There is no parking lot, no indication whatsoever. There is just a red gate just before the "valencia landfill" gate. It is a shame because the landscape around is amazing. Nice driveway to reach the trail, also.

Fri Sep 07 2018

I tried to go there today (9-3-18) the access road had a sign up saying the property is under new ownership and isn't accessible. There might be a way to get to the trailhead but I couldn't find it.

Mon Oct 03 2016

Firstly, a very breathtaking drive to the middle of nowhere. Then you turn right towards waste management station. Notice there is no real parking just widening of the road right before the bridge. The entryway is a little snug for bigger hikers but if you go follow the fence you can just go around. Wide sandy walk ways, Many trail markers made of rocks. Be warned it seems like some people have left numerous broken beer bottles so watch your canines. The petroglyphs are amazing, before you go take a moment to research this place to get a little backstory. If you go on a Jewish holiday you may see visitors to the sight though it is so isolated you may not.

Thu Apr 19 2012

Very interesting place to visit, but please note: This is Native American Land leased to the State, so be respectful and two, you need a permit to be on state land. That said, the hike to the Decalogue stone is easy and flat, but you will need to cross under a fence at one point. Just to the south of the stone you can see some petroglyphs and one looks like a dino. The trail to the top is 10-15 minutes of strenuous hiking but on top is no big deal. Note the trail to the top disappears just before the top when I did this trip. You can obtain info from the Village of Los Lunas and the State in Santa Fe. Many believe this is an ancient Jewish Site and others not. I can't tell you for sure but if it is a hoax, someone went to a lot of trouble building all the shemite ruins on top and did a great job matching several petroglyphs that are very similar to ones found in the Sanai Penesula. I've also been with Hebrew speakers (some Jewish too) and not even the atheist scholar found any problems with the place being legit. One other interesting thing. I talked with a local Native American who was in their 40's who told me their great grandfather knew of the place as a child, so the story of this place being done by college kids in the 50's doesn't hold water. He's also the one who told me how to find the dinosaur looking petroglyph, which is native american. Can we know for sure it is legit, no, that is part of the mystery, but we know that Israel under King Solomon sent ships out for 3 years at a time and that they had relations with the Phoenicians who were known to have built amazing ships with amazing technology.

Mon Mar 12 2012

The Hidden Mountain trail is a short and easy hike. It is a flat, well traveled trail, and the Mystery Rock is easy to find. Just follow the well traveled dirt trail the entire time. You can park on the side of a well maintained dirt road, which is right off highway 6. It is the same road which leads to the waste transfer station. The Mystery Rock is an interesting find as well. I believe that it is well worth the hike and trip, if you are interested in seeing the rock for yourself.

Tue Jan 08 2019