Hermit Peak Trail

Hermit Peak Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, New Mexico that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The peak is named for the Italian religious recluse John Augustiani, who lived there in a cave he had dug into the earth around the time of the U.S. Civil War. His cave became the subject of pilgrimage by some devout New Mexicans, during his life and for a number of years after his death.

As good as it gets!

Not for beginners. Lots of loose rocks, downed trees, and a steady incline the entire way up and down. We found it helpful to have a map or use the map in this app as it was sometimes confusing if we were on the real trail or not.
As someone who typically lives around 200ft above sea-level, the altitude definitely made the hike more of a challenge as well.
We brought our packs and slept overnight on the plateau. The views from the top made the hard hike well worth it. Amazing views! Pack a jacket though as the wind gets intense through the night.
Well worth the adventure.

Difficult climb due to the fallen rocks. If you are not committed to reaching the top, you will get discouraged because of the difficult and long path. Once on top, however, the challenge is soon forgotten. It is beautiful.

First time on this trail. We have lived in Santa Fe and do hikes there. We wanted to branch out a little. On Sat June 24 th, we were actually headed to another hiking area, but the small parking lot was full. So we headed here. I have the Santa Fe Day Hike book and I had briefly read up on this hike. I wanted to go to the cave.
We started out later than we really wanted to (about 1 pm) and by 4-5 pm the news was forecasting some storms. So. We knew it was not going to be the most optimal hike.
The trail is easy to follow, we had our book, but it does have lots of large loose rock. And , it is a bit strenuous.
We met a couple early on, they were headed out, and they had seen a bear. They said it was spotted "a ways off the trail". I should have been more scared.
The hike up took us longer than I wanted it to. We stopped and rested often. We saw a lone hiker headed down and a group of younger adults with two dogs.
We marched on until you get to the first good plateau, which is where most of my photos were taken. We were going to keep going, but we could see some clouds coming our way, we weren't well equipped and we had spent almost 4 hours hiking up. So, we left that breathtaking view saying we would be back and I started back down first. Just as I rounded the first corner to the switchback, I saw a movement right down the trail. I froze. It was a bear. My husband came up behind, and told me, Don't move. To late. I started to freak out.
The bear was a honey blonde color, shining right there in the sun! My heart stopped. Rex
Kept his cool somehow. The bear took a few more steps towards us and Rex made some really loud noises and the bear ran on up the mountain.
This was our very first encounter. I was terrified.
I liked to know how often bear sighting happen on this hike.

Did this back in March. It's a beautiful trail, and once you get to the top it's a unbelievable view! But getting to this spot was difficult, the directions this app gave me had me go the complete opposite to find this trail and added almost an hr to my trip. Minus that it was a nice hike, make sure to have good shoes cuz this trail is uneven and filled with rocks towards the top.

Hermits Peak was on my bucket list. We took our Rio Gallinas middle school students on this hike. The hike took us 9 hours to complete (total) this included frequent breaks and stopping to eat lunch. As someone who isn't fit, this hike was a challenge but totally worth it. The views from the top were amazing. I would like to do this hike again one day.

Went with our meetup group - Santa Fe Hiking Adventures. Beautiful day, nice breeze sunny and cool. Could not ask for nicer weather. We also found the cave. Very cool and mysterious !

Wear good shoes or boots. There's a lot of loose rock and it gets fairly steep. Trees were down all over the trail so I had to improvise quite a bit. Make sure you get to the top...it's breathtaking. I didn't see a soul on the way up or down.

The climb was difficult. Very steep and rocky but well worth the work for the amazing view. I marked the spring. Isn't much more than a trickle and you will need a filter. I went up in March so I have the entire peak to myself. Absolutely beautiful!

beautiful views

lovely outing on January 2 with only a few snow drifts. way over 40 MPH wind at top.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

This trail was gorgeous. Lots of loose rocks as mentioned below- wear good shoes with ankle support! We started really early (my pup and I) to avoid hiking in the hot sun- definitely recommend as the beginning and end of hike have little shade or tree cover. Excellent spot to see the view and take a break about a mile short of the summit. So, so beautiful. Would absolutely hike again.