Hermit Peak Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, New Mexico that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,755 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The peak is named for the Italian religious recluse John Augustiani, who lived there in a cave he had dug into the earth around the time of the U.S. Civil War. His cave became the subject of pilgrimage by some devout New Mexicans, during his life and for a number of years after his death.

private property

completed 06-03-2020 easy to follow once you're on the trail, conditions were what'd you expect in the summer AllTrails driving directions takes you right to the trailhead very rocky throughout, lots of switchbacks great view(s) once you reach the peak, spots to sit down and look out over the forest beware of bugs at the summit

Nice day hike to Hermit Peak on Sunday, May 24 (Memorial Day weekend) with my husband and dog. The campground where the trail begins was still closed due to COVID-19. The parking area outside the gate was rather chaotic when we arrived at 8:00 AM. The trail was well-marked and easy to follow. We only passed one other couple on the way up. It took us 2:17 to reach the peak. We recorded it as 4 miles one way. The elevation gain is quite brutal; it just keeps getting steeper as you ascend, until you reach the crest. Our dog was able to get water from a spring in a couple places. The views on the way up are limited due to trees. (Though the tree cover was not thick enough to keep me from getting sunburned!) The expansive views from the top are very nice. No one else was on the summit when we arrived, though another group arrived about 15 minutes later. The book "50 Hikes in Northern New Mexico" stated that there is a loop trail at the top, which we tried unsuccessfully to find. We saw some old sign posts where we thought it would be, leading us to believe it has become overgrown and is no longer a maintained trail. On our way back down, we saw many people coming up - probably 20 groups headed up in the early- to mid-afternoon. I recommend Hermit Peak for a nice hike away from many of the crowds. Please remember to pack out all trash, including peels from oranges, bananas, etc.

Awesome trail! Definitely “hard”, but give yourself enough time, start early, take breaks, drink water, eat salty snacks, you’ll be fine. Amazing views, great day hike. First two miles are moderate. Last two miles are all the cuss words. Worth it though! Took us 3.5 hours going up and 1.5 hours going down including about 30 minutes at the summit.

Really loved this hike. I backpacked this just for one night to get out of the house due to the stay at home order for COVID-19! I started on Saturday morning and there was a few inches of snow, but was lovely at the top. The snow melted by Sunday. I would recommend sturdy shoes for those who twist ankles easily (like me), since most of the way to the top is super rocky. The hike was on the harder side, mainly because the last two miles are switchbacks and on the steeper end. But I completed this with a backpacking pack on and wasn't too terrible, and that's coming from someone who hasn't done too much hiking this winter. The views from the top are amazing.

Great trail, definitely a challenge, great views. first 2 miles are nice second 2 miles are strenuous. I went early March and could not reach the peak due to snow also campgroubds are not open at that time. At the beginning of the trail, go left, into the private property (learned that the hard way).

Definitely not a beginner trail, but worth it. View is absolutely stunning

Killer rocky trail, we used trekking poles. Would I do it again? Emphatic yes!

beautiful views.. tough trail.. well worth it!

I am 55 and 50 pounds overweight but I'm not in horrible shape. do a lot of city walking and the moderate weekend five mile hike. I made it to the top with 30 pounds of gear to spend the night. it was definitely no walk in the park, lol. it took me seven hours to get up and five to get down. so I'm slow. advice: trekking poles. three liters of water. a water filter system. a flashlight and a fully charged phone. don't assume that you will Sprint down twice as fast as you will go up. going down has its own challenges. because the trail is so difficult to see in places, you want to avoid being out there at night.

This trail is not for the faint-hearted. It’s difficult but it is totally worth the view. I recommend finding a walking stick or bringing one. It helped me most of the hike. Bring lots of water!! In the end, the view is worth it.

Great, beautiful hike. Amazing variety of wildflowers! Definitely a steady incline, with the grade picking up a bit in the latter half. But if you are fairly fit, it's nothing difficult. There are about 4 water access points throughout the hike for any dogs out there, which my dog appreciated! We were the only people at the top, so enjoyed the views in peace! Saw just a few people coming up on our way down. The other hike along the creek from the trail head is also beautiful, and pretty much flat. Some cool bridges you get to cross about a mile in, too.

The trail is very rocky and not as well defined from my memories as a teenager hiking up with the camp group. The views are beautiful and worth the climb. Views of the cliff sides on the way up are increasingly dramatic.

What a great hike! My wife and I were killing time before picking our son up from his summer job at Philmont. The first 1/4-2/3 up the hill was relative grade, then the trail ramped it up all the way to the plateau. Found a creek about 2/3 the way up, just off the trail. Used that to refill our bladders. Nothing beats crisp cool mountain water IMHO. We used poles as we're both firm believers in them (we're both 50+), and it makes it more enjoyable.

Difficult with heavy backpacks (full camp gear) but doable, we camped 2 nights on top and then hiked down. Leave the tent and go for Hammock's! Bring water filter.

Fantastic hike, and it started with such a beautiful drive up the newly paved road - stunning. Bring a bathing suit, because there's hot springs just off the side of the road in Montezuma - we wished we would have known, would have been a great way to end the day. Parking is $8 and only cash - and is also fairly limited. We went on a Sunday so it wasn't an issue, but we could see it being an issue on a Saturday or holiday. Trail is steady up and very rocky - basically like a dry creek bed - not so bad on the way up, but definitely trickier coming down with tired legs in the rain! There's one lookout near the top, which is so gorgeous you almost feel like calling it a day, but definitely do the last ~20 minutes to the second vista, it's stunning and vast and opens up to a meadow. You can also camp at the top, and theres also two trailheads from there to make a multi day trip. We took our dogs, no problems there.

one of my favorite places to hike

Definitely not for a beginner or someone not physically conditioned. If you are coming from lower elevation, think it twice. I live at approximately 5600 and it made me The trail has limited signage but should not be a problem if you can identify the most basic of trails. We went in July, so hydration is crucial. In my opinion the switchbacks are the most challenging part of this hike based on the elevation gain and many rocks.

Fri Feb 01 2019

Great hike alone in winter (Feb 1). I did the hike before in the summer (July 2015) and didn't get to the summit then because of time (poor planning) and the small group I was with wasn't conditioned for it. I will say summer is hot on the bottom portions and the trail is rocky (lots of loose rocks). The views are great any time of year. It is windy on top (10,000 feet) and if there are dark clouds don't test the thunderstorms by being out in the open. Winter has a lot fewer people (I didn't see anyone at all in February), so I was able to enjoy the mountain to myself. There was snow on at least a third of the trail, and it was deep in the upper portions (2-3'). Wear boots and gaiters (though I took off my coat and gloves because of the exertion). I followed the human tracks until they gave out, then I followed the animal tracks (deer and bear), but I did have to break some new steps and that was hard on top. Didn't see any of the big wildlife this time. I appreciated the snow on the way down because it covered all those rocks and cushioned the path. Don't dress too heavy or you'll be shedding those layers. Pack a light layer in your bag and bring plenty of water (1 liter is not enough for one person). Lower portions of the trail are going to be muddy in winter and spring. Summer and fall should be dry unless you have the passing afternoon shower (ultralight raincoat recommended). It's a good day hike--get started early unless you are backpacking and plan to stay the night. I wouldn't want to be carrying a lot of gear on this trail though.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Absolutely loved this trail from start to finish. The view at the end knocked my socks off! No more than 4-6” of snow in the canyon, but more like 1’ on the summit plateau. I wore gaiters to keep snow out of my boots. Plenty of water for my dog. I’m an avid hiker and summit hunter, and his route was plenty of a physical challenge!