Hamilton Mesa #249 and Larkspur #260

Hamilton Mesa #249 and Larkspur #260 is a 11.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Came down from East Pecos Baldy Lake this weekend via Sebadillosos. There is so many trees down you wont even see the trail. It took about 2 hours of belly-crawling under and climbing over fallen trees to go 1 mile. After Noisy Brook south you will have encounters with lots of cattle all the way to Round Mountain.

Hiked out from Iron Gate and made it to Pecos River and the Beatty's Flats area in about two hours. Hamilton Mesa is phenomenal right now with tons of wildflowers and lots of green. The river is flowing very fast right now and several areas in the Beatty's Flats area are overflow. The mesa is simply breathtaking and the views are endless. Side note: I wanted to try and connect to Sebadillosos trail to make it to Baldy lake but that trail is NOT an option. All maps including AllTrails had that trail leading straight into thick forest and is not passable.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The wind calls through the Iron Gate, so I pass into the trees over the rocks upon the dirt. Who would have thought to see a wooden gate and beyond no small view. Leaving chain and latch, iris and aspen then grass. Golden keys the wind does play out unto the paramount. It upon them a sound only my eyes can hear and I am swept upon the vista. I stroll awhile... Down I lay below the wind in the grass without my worries. I close my eyes to hear and hear a coming sleep, upon the grass I do... I awake feeling new and back through the iron gate I go. Then home...

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Started out on Robert's track but after the big fields i didn't want to go down down down then turn around, so decided to loop around the mountain to get a loop instead of out and back. it was an awesome hike! if you do the loop i did, stay on 270 when you hook around the mountain- i wanted to check something out and wound up in thick brush to get down to the river. really really enjoyed it all and you get a dynamic set of terrain with a bunch of straightaways so more about endurance then intense uphills. for the record my loop was 249->270->224->250. enjoy!

Friday, June 08, 2012

For clarification, I am rating Beatty's Trail (#25) in the Pecos Wilderness that starts out at Trailhead #15, north of Tererro, NM. The first 3 miles are a mostly difficult climb from 9000 feet to around 11,200 feet as you climb thru a couple of switchbacks. It is generally dry and dusty and the trail is well worn with plenty of larger bolders (softball to basketball sized) on the trail. There is a separate horse trail for the first mile or so but it joins the hiking trail and from there up, we saw an equal number of hikers and horses. The first 2 1/2 miles are all in beautiful tree covered forest and as you begin to get over 11,000 feet, you begin to see groves of Aspen. I think there were also Birch trees further down the trail, but it was difficult to tell. Just as you get to the intersection of Trail #257 (Jack's Creek Trail?) the trees open up to provide a beautiful view of the surrounding wilderness. From here to Beatty's Flats, you will move in and out of forest and meadows. It was as beautiful as any hiking I have done. There are some cattle before you get to Noisy Brook. When we were there, there was plenty of water. From Noisy Brook, you start to go down in elevation to Beatty's Flats where the Pecos River is nothing short of magical. You can lay in the tall Mule Grass fields under the shade of Aspens and Ponderosa Pines. For our trip, we took trail #259 at this point in the trip