Grindstone Lake Loop

Grindstone Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Well maintained trail system located in Lincoln National Forest, less than five minutes outside of Ruidoso, NM The trail head is located in the upper parking lot to Grindstone Lake, and is very easy to find. The trail system generally loops around Grindstone Lake, and includes many miles of new trails that will open in late summer 2013. The seven mile loop begins at the parking lot trail head and follows a smooth, well maintained, single track trail around the lake. There are two excellent down hill sections, several fun switchbacks, and a very few difficult climbs

Good easy to moderate hike, little long, kinda the same ol same ol, enjoyed it

First time on this trail. Great! The views of Sierra Blanca are very nice. A couple of steep climbs, but nothing too difficult. A very well maintained trail! Birds!

For a hike with kids, this was awesome. Beautiful views. Trail was easy enough for the kids but not so easy that it was boring.

LOVED this one! The lake was beautiful, and not too crowded when we were there in the summer!

Not sure who rates these trails. This should be more of a moderate listing. I hiked one the other day that was listed as moderate but was definitely easy.

About this trail...love it. I’ve rode mountain bikes around it and fished the lake, but really enjoyed the quiet walk around on this loop. Saw mule deer while hiking. Only a few others out using the trail. Highly recommend this trail.

Flat landers had an enjoyable morning and mid day hike. My bride of 31 years and my loyal golden retriever joined in and all had a great day. The weather was perfect. The end of hike fetching sticks in the lake and swim was the highlight for Emma. We saw quite a few deer. I would do the hike again on another trip to Ruidoso. I found it pleasant seeing and hearing the joyful sounds of families enjoying the lake as we were nearing the end of our hike

Very nice trail with some mildly challenging terrain. Saw some deer. The only drawback is that there is some noisy construction in the area.

My husband and I hiked this with our six month old daughter in tow, beautiful scenery and we came across a few mule deer and some smaller wildlife also. The lake is gorgeous.

My 7 month old lab and I really enjoyed this hike. I was able to hike the trail up the mountain, while my 70 year old mother walked the broad, level, dirt path alongside the lake. Something for everyone at Grindstone Lake!

Great loop and lots of flowers/plants in early August. Saw three or four other people and a couple of mule deer

Not a beginner's trail...but scenic.

Fun and easy trail to climb. We are sure to do this when we are in town.

This was a great hike. We only saw one other person on the trail (a mountain biker). In several locations you can see Grindstone Lake in the distance.

Great trail overall,moderate level, great views really kept up did see a lot of dead trees but still a nice trail be doing this trail more often when I visit Ruidoso every year in June our annual visit.

Great hiking trails.

Great little hike any can do this one. No water source until you get to lake so bring enough to last.

easy, great views, lots of shade, watch for mountain bikers - shared trail. we love it cuz it's only about four miles from our house!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This is one of my favorite hiking trails! It's convenient to town, groomed and the perfect distance for a quick workout.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Nice mellow trail. The connector at the gravel road can be a bit hard to find. needs better signage there.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Fun trail. Not overly strenuous. Fairly easy to follow. Pretty scenery.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Great trail close to town. Pretty lake with mountain views. Today the trail was pretty muddy on the far side of the lake, but manageable.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Lots of horse poop on trail; wipe your shoes before coming back home! Trail is better for biking than hiking.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

This was mine and my wife's first ever trail to hike, and it was awesome! It's the perfect mix of wilderness without feeling "lost".
The trail was very clear, and the ability to follow fellow hikers past path through this app to make sure you're on track gave us peace of mind that we were still going strong!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

beautiful trail with small valleys abs nice mountain ranges to look at.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Good quick hike!

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Good quick hike

Sunday, August 14, 2016

great trail, check the weather before going during the summer. frequent thunderstorms.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Really nine, lots of birds!

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

would do it again

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

7 miles.....3.5 hours! Fantastic hike! Able to keep a steady pace beginning to end! Will definitely do again!