Grindstone Lake Loop

Grindstone Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Well maintained trail system located in Lincoln National Forest, less than five minutes outside of Ruidoso, NM The trail head is located in the upper parking lot to Grindstone Lake, and is very easy to find. The trail system generally loops around Grindstone Lake, and includes many miles of new trails that will open in late summer 2013. The seven mile loop begins at the parking lot trail head and follows a smooth, well maintained, single track trail around the lake. There are two excellent down hill sections, several fun switchbacks, and a very few difficult climbs

Ran the loop in about 1 hour, 20 minutes. For the most part, trail is in good shape with moderate elevation gains and losses. Almost no one on trail after the 2 mile marker.

This was my first trail to ever hike and it was amazing! Nice path to follow. Not to steep, but at times a bit challenging. The map says 6.7 miles, but Runkeeper app said 7.0. Some signage was a little confusing, but I’m a novice so it was probably just me. Definitely take water. I didn’t need a walking stick, but the other 5 people I encountered had them. It took me 2 hours 10 minutes, but I went pretty fast. I’m 51 and 120lbs and in pretty good shape. It was sunny and warm when I went at 10:00am, but big storms came in afternoon so make sure you check the weather. Would have been bad to have gotten stuck in that storm.

Awesome views of the lake. Saw 2 snakes, some lizards, a rabbit and some birds. Did not see many hikers until the end where it combines with other shorter trails. LOTS of switchbacks and a bit rocky at times, but well maintained. Signage can be a bit confusing. Had cell coverage the entire hike so you can see where you are on the maps. Bring water, sunblock and a hat if you plan on doing the entire loop as it can get hot and shade can be sparse at times.

It was 98* and had a toddler so we improvised and took the shorter fisherman loop instead. Not sure I would classify this as easy. It starts off easy around the lake but then there is a bit of elevation you go up. Should have planned to go swimming afterwards. The scenery is beautiful!

This was a lovely trail to hike. There were many switchbacks, beautiful views of the lake, and surrounding mountains.

Good hike with views of lake for two of us in mid 70s.

Definitely easy trail but if you’re not prepared, you’ll be wiped out at the end. This is one of the most beautiful trails me and my family has EVER accomplished. Hundreds of breathtaking views! Takes a few hours if you’re in it for the scenery... have fun!

I wouldn’t classify this trail as easy - the altitude and change in elevation was pretty strenuous. But it was challenging and fun and gorgeous. A dip in the chilly lake on a hot July day was the perfect reward and the end of the run.

A bit dry, needs rain in area, but still a wonderful morning hike. Lots of birds, a few lizards, and 3 deer spotted. Do watch for horse poop on trail.

Did this as a hike to get acclimated to elevation. Good trail, easy to navigate. Uphill the first two miles, with lots of long easy to run switchbacks in the middle. Last mile or so back down was quite rocky. Went out about 10:30am, not a lot of tree cover so bring your hat.

Good family hike. Just went a mile out and back due to time restraints. Have to share the trail with mountain bikers.

Well marked easy trail with some nice views of the lake.

It was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. I probably wouldn’t take children on this hike because it was rocky in lots of places and there were many places to slip. I would rate this as more moderate.

Always a favorite of mine! Beautiful views of the turquoise lake! Nice hike for day 1 when I'm aclimating to the altitude difference.

Did this for Father's Day with my family of four; ages 3yrs (used a backpack to carry most of the hike) 5yrs, 29yrs and 32yrs. Really enjoyed the hike and hope to do more around this area

Nice trail. Mostly good footing, very well marked and has some nice views of the lake and Sierra Blanca. It’s a good run and fun! I would not call this an “easy” run, but it’s definitely enjoyable. More like moderate.

Easy to moderate, depending on the weather. Impossible to miss. Not very frequented. Took me (woman, 210lbs) 2:45 hours including two ten minutes breaks.

The trail is a good stretch of the legs. Not too much for wildlife but did see a few deer, osprey and a lizard. The trail is lined with piles of down timber, hundreds if not thousands of piles.

Went there on 4/28 loved it some hiking with the bike then the fun starts. You can get some speed good paths you really can’t go off course. It’s more fun than work will do again.

Not sure if I’d rate this easy. More moderate but great hike.

Good easy to moderate hike, little long, kinda the same ol same ol, enjoyed it

First time on this trail. Great! The views of Sierra Blanca are very nice. A couple of steep climbs, but nothing too difficult. A very well maintained trail! Birds!

For a hike with kids, this was awesome. Beautiful views. Trail was easy enough for the kids but not so easy that it was boring.

LOVED this one! The lake was beautiful, and not too crowded when we were there in the summer!

Not sure who rates these trails. This should be more of a moderate listing. I hiked one the other day that was listed as moderate but was definitely easy.

About this trail...love it. I’ve rode mountain bikes around it and fished the lake, but really enjoyed the quiet walk around on this loop. Saw mule deer while hiking. Only a few others out using the trail. Highly recommend this trail.

Flat landers had an enjoyable morning and mid day hike. My bride of 31 years and my loyal golden retriever joined in and all had a great day. The weather was perfect. The end of hike fetching sticks in the lake and swim was the highlight for Emma. We saw quite a few deer. I would do the hike again on another trip to Ruidoso. I found it pleasant seeing and hearing the joyful sounds of families enjoying the lake as we were nearing the end of our hike

Very nice trail with some mildly challenging terrain. Saw some deer. The only drawback is that there is some noisy construction in the area.

Monday, August 07, 2017

My husband and I hiked this with our six month old daughter in tow, beautiful scenery and we came across a few mule deer and some smaller wildlife also. The lake is gorgeous.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

My 7 month old lab and I really enjoyed this hike. I was able to hike the trail up the mountain, while my 70 year old mother walked the broad, level, dirt path alongside the lake. Something for everyone at Grindstone Lake!

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Great loop and lots of flowers/plants in early August. Saw three or four other people and a couple of mule deer