Grindstone Lake Loop

Grindstone Lake Loop is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, New Mexico that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Well maintained trail system located in Lincoln National Forest, less than five minutes outside of Ruidoso, NM The trail head is located in the upper parking lot to Grindstone Lake, and is very easy to find. The trail system generally loops around Grindstone Lake, and includes many miles of new trails that will open in late summer 2013. The seven mile loop begins at the parking lot trail head and follows a smooth, well maintained, single track trail around the lake. There are two excellent down hill sections, several fun switchbacks, and a very few difficult climbs

Not sure who rates these trails. This should be more of a moderate listing. I hiked one the other day that was listed as moderate but was definitely easy.

About this trail...love it. I’ve rode mountain bikes around it and fished the lake, but really enjoyed the quiet walk around on this loop. Saw mule deer while hiking. Only a few others out using the trail. Highly recommend this trail.

Flat landers had an enjoyable morning and mid day hike. My bride of 31 years and my loyal golden retriever joined in and all had a great day. The weather was perfect. The end of hike fetching sticks in the lake and swim was the highlight for Emma. We saw quite a few deer. I would do the hike again on another trip to Ruidoso. I found it pleasant seeing and hearing the joyful sounds of families enjoying the lake as we were nearing the end of our hike

Very nice trail with some mildly challenging terrain. Saw some deer. The only drawback is that there is some noisy construction in the area.

My husband and I hiked this with our six month old daughter in tow, beautiful scenery and we came across a few mule deer and some smaller wildlife also. The lake is gorgeous.

My 7 month old lab and I really enjoyed this hike. I was able to hike the trail up the mountain, while my 70 year old mother walked the broad, level, dirt path alongside the lake. Something for everyone at Grindstone Lake!

Great loop and lots of flowers/plants in early August. Saw three or four other people and a couple of mule deer