Greenie Peak OHV Loop

Greenie Peak OHV Loop is a 24.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for bird watching and off road driving and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 24.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,468 feet Route Type: Loop

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

WOULDN"T DO IT AGAIN... Thankfully I used the All Trails app on my phone, which has never failed me yet. This trail is EXTREMELY rocky and I thought it would give my poor dog shaken baby syndrome. We took a jeep, but looks like people on the UTVs and ATVs had a lot more fun than we did. The trail is very badly marked and the maintenance is piss-poor, washed away and, in places, almost dangerous. There are other trails in Red River (notably Goose Lake) which have been so poorly maintained that there have been deaths. Whoever is in charge of this needs to be brought to task, because in a few more years this trail will be in that category as well. As for the peak itself, it has the best view you will find here (apart from Wheeler Peak which is inaccessible by vehicle). There are no facilities at the peak itself, and in fact not even a sign that says, "Greenie Peak, you're here!" I have seen much better views in Colorado near Breck/Silverthorn/Copper Mtn area and those mountains have MUCH better roads. I was disappointed that I spent the money for a jeep and the trail was a let-down, but the jeep company was great and the All Trails app has been absolutely a life saver on all the trails here, both driving and hiking.

off road driving

We had a blast going on to the peak and coming down until we hit the actual roads, after that it was just normal roads. Going to the peak is fun and coming down on the atv trails are a good time

off road driving

The trail is marked, but I got lost as my gps failed. Asked for directions, many friendly folks on the trail. While most sites, this one included, call the trail easy, the side trails are definitely not! Watch out for the local 4x4 tour companies as they see this as their own private mountain, had 2 “Final destination” experiences with these guys flying around blind turns. Used my horn and both times they barely stopped in time. Their tourists didn’t look all that pleased. Great run, midnight meadows and the peak, wonderful views and a coyote sighting, and many chipmunks.

off road driving

This trail can be completed in a capable 4x4 vehicle. It is very rough, and does have technical sections that can be challenging for drivers with low levels of off-road experience. Ive completed it in a RZR, and 4Runner. I see plenty of Jeeps on this trail as well.