Glorieta Battlefield Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glorieta, New Mexico that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 242 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Glorieta Battlefield Trail

I enjoyed this trail a lot. I am surprised that few people have mentioned the history associated with it, as to me this is one of the big selling points. The story of the Civil War battle is really remarkable and presented quite well. I agree with what others have said in that the freeway traffic is annoying and there is a bit too much gravel. Also, there is a lot of up and down, so moderate seems a more apt classification. If you want a peaceful hike, this is probably not the right hike for you, but if you want a cool history lesson and also to get your heart rate up in a fairly short period of time, this is a good one!

Had nice views but was a moderate trail. Lots of gravel I did fine but others may find it harder than stated in reviews. I did need a gate lock code when I went. Luckily another hiker called and got us in. Otherwise it seemed like it was closed.

Hiked on 1/19/20 I loved this actual trail, but rating it lower bc of the access to the trail. Not marked well to find it, and you need a gate code to get in which the Pecos National Historic Park welcome Center can give you in person or over the phone. Though, bc it’s tougher to find, it’s a nice peaceful, secluded hike with trail markers. We hiked it in fresh snow, however, so it was much more of a cardio strain than hiking a plowed trail, and the only “trail” we had to follow were the other 2-3 foot tracks that came before us, otherwise trail is not visible at all. Trail is loosely woody, so good amount of shade cover. Restrooms (non-plumbing) & trashcans available are the foot rail & lots of informational signs along trail about the Civil War and battles over territories.

The trail was covered in snow and we were warned that the trail was not plowed. Part of the trail is next to the freeway. Parts were covered with trees. My dogs had a great time since we were the only ones on the trail at that time. With the snow I would label this trail as moderate. I would definitely visit again.

while this trail is labeled easy on this app the actual sign and other information label it moderate. I would agree with MODERATE. The gravel covering the trail was tough on feet and ankles. Not good for our pup's paws either.

Sun May 26 2019

Despite the noise from I25 this was a lovely trail to walk my dogs. It was a hot day and nice to be in the cool shelter of the forest. For runners, if you’re looking for a cool, shady place to run 2 laps on this trail will give you almost 5 miles on a well tended trail. Lots of wildflowers too.

Tue May 21 2019

Beautiful walk through forested land. The trail was very clearly marked and easy to walk. There were numerous signs letting you know particulars of the Civil War battle fought there.

Thu May 03 2018

Not too scenic since it's mostly in the pinyon juniper woods. Highway noise is heard along the whole trail. There are some information signs along the trail, but it would probably be better to get the guidebook from the park visitor center. Remember that you need to get the gate code from the park visitor center. I called their main phone number and got it, so you don't necessarily have to go in person.

Mon May 27 2019