Frisco Box Trail

Frisco Box Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Luna, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,328 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Trail 762 skirts around private land over some exposed mesa to set you in the mouth of the Frisco Box, a box canyon with the San Francisco River running through it. There are plenty of opportunities for wildlife and many elk are in the area. There are several nice spots for camping in the box and water is plentiful from the river. *If you choose to go further in the canyon be aware of flash flooding and wildlife.* The canyon gets narrow and tight and at times the water can be neck deep.

Fri Dec 14 2018

I took this trail with my girlfriend and it was a little bit sketchy getting there because you have to drive over a river four times and I have a little four-door Honda. Regardless we made it and upon hiking in I couldn’t help but notice for the first 3 miles I felt like I was looking at the same photograph over and over. We probably would’ve continued except for the fact that the grass that grows along the trail loves to send little fox tails into your shoes which makes your feet feel like they’re being attacked by thousands of ants. I’m used to hiking some really beautiful trails in the San Gabriel Mountains in California so when I hiked this one the degree of difficulty was not there and the redundancy of the terrain was too much to bear. We turned around at 3 miles because we were bored out of our heads and our feet were on fire from the stupid stickers in our shoes. Without a doubt I will not be back to this trail.

Thu Jun 08 2017

A secluded spot with great rewards. High water and flash flooding can be an issue so be on your toes. We startled a large bull elk further up the very tight canyon and were notably scared as it charged down the canyon at us.