Learn more

Gallinas Nature Trail is a 2.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sapello, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 150 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This self-guided nature trail meanders through fields of native grasses and wildflowers, past historic ruins, and descends approximately 250 feet into one of the many box canyons that surround the refuge.

Really well marked - I got off trail at the cliff side but looped back on near the house. I was spooked as a solo hiker- I felt like I was hiking in the lion habitat at the zoo. It was completely my own imagination but I felt hyper vigilant the whole time. I wouldn’t do this one solo again but it was gorgeous

Sun Feb 24 2019

it's a nice trail, short and sweet. oops just noticed it says no dogs, I'm not so good at following that rule.

Fri Dec 29 2017