Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Gallegos Peak via Flechado Canyon

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(18)
Carson National Forest

Gallegos Peak via Flechado Canyon is a 6.4 mile out and back trail located near Vadito, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,299 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We did this trail today and would totally agree with previous reviews about the confusing AllTrails route towards the top of the trail. We were wanting to reach the peak but couldn't find a way up so just settled on the meadows right below. Saw 2 huge elk on the trail and lots of flowers and chipmunks also.

Trail itself is OK, steep and rocky, then long and mostly flat, then steeper again. The actual summit of Gallegos Peak is heavily forested and is not the target of this hike, rather the meadows just below its summit are. Once you hit the forest roads shortly before the meadows, I didn't have any issues on the way up, but managed to become quite lost in the maze of forest roads trying to find the trail on the way down, so be careful and not that the alltrails route is pretty inaccurate at that point. I have never in my life become confused like that on any other hike so make note of where the trail joins the forest road, especially if hiking down after dark. Trail also gets fainter closer to the forest road you get. Despite all that, the view from the meadow was really superb and unique, especially now in spring. I watched the sunset from up there and it was wonderful. I also saw noone else on the hike. I will definitely be doing this hike again in a different season, and may proceed further past the large meadow towards another meadow on the map marked as "Gallegos park", though I doubt the views are as good. If the hike in was a little nicer and didn't include the forest road section, I would say 4.5 stars. I really loved the view. No snow but good amount of blowdowns.

Had to stop about 2 miles before the peak because of the snow. A little confusing once you get towards the end as it is...would have to see to the finish to determine if it’s a worthwhile hike, but I left it pretty uninspired.

Tue Apr 24 2018

Great hike, completed on 4/22. You can spend a lot of time exploring side trails and side roads, as we did which brought our round trip mileage up to 8.7 miles. This trail starts out very steep, maybe for the first 3/4 - 1 mile is a continuous incline. Afterwards, however, it tapers off to a moderate hike. Keep eyes out for wildlife.

Thu Mar 22 2018

Great trail! Nice and quiet, with a beautiful frozen waterfall you can get behind. You follow the creek most of the way, so it was nice for my dog. I made it two miles in before it became impassible without snowshoes (3/21/18). Loved it though!

Fri Jan 05 2018

Trail was ok, was definitely expecting a little bit more. It could be because of the winter season and everything was dry. Also kind of lost the trail at the end and ended up just climbing straight up the mountain to get to the peak.

Wed Dec 20 2017

Mid December and cold with snow on the trail and frozen waterfalls. Good time

Wed Aug 09 2017

Great trail and a quick way to get up to the top for some great views. Took 3.5 hours total. Tough beginning but flattens out a bit until the end.

Sat May 27 2017

Very steep and a bit technical

Mon Jul 10 2017