Frijolito Trail

Frijolito Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pena Blanca, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

The trail was a little steep at first, but levels out at the top. The steeper portion is definitely doable, and well worth it. You have great panoramic views. You also get a great bird’s eye view of the Indian ruins below in the canyon. You also get a great view of the Alcove house across the canyon. Overall, an easy hike. We saw a lot of blooming cacti, flowers, etc. I would definitely recommend this hike to anyone.

Great offshoot from the main loop. I ran across it by accident and was glad I did. It’ is easy to accomplish because of the switchbacks. I wasn’t aware of the slow decent until I came back down. My loss. It was great for exercise and scenery. This is one of the best areas to take kids. I wish I had known about this park when mine were small.

Beginner hiker and in need of some conditioning so it was a little bit of a challenge for me. Some areas were snow covered so I took it a bit slower at points. It was fun to challenge myself and definitely worth it.

In a word, sublime. Well worth all the switchbacking. Could not locate mid Alamo Canyon trail. Likely closed. Frijolito ruins give some idea of how Bandelier must have appeared before excavation. A wonderful morning walk.

The climb up was a little fierce. Once we got to the top the walk was pleasant and the views wonderful. The gradual decline was breathtaking and a little bit frightening. But worth it none the less.

Sunday, May 28, 2017