Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail

Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,295 feet Route Type: Loop

Great uphill climb. Went early as there's no shade. bring lots of water!

This hike is now going to be one of my favorite hikes! So much fun, me and my 10 year old had a blast. Found a couple extra paintings that made it really fun. enjoy!

Loved the hike! We went counterclockwise and definitely enjoyed the views along the ascent! There is one spot listed on this trail that is actually closed for re-growth(the first point that it tells you to go off trail), but that’s easily avoidable. I would emphasize going earlier in the day because there is no shade and being plenty of water!

I absolutely love hiking the Sandias, however this one was a bit extreme for a novice like myself. I attempted this one solo first, and the trail was hardly recognizable at times, because it’s hard to differentiate between a dried out water runoff path, animal path, or not at all maintained trail. The view was incredible and the eye and art was really cool! I was very refreshed after hydrating in the shade and having lunch atop the tallest rock I could climb up-it was truly an empowering feeling. I recommend tons of water, sun protection, and durable shoes with good gripping

Hiked in July 2019. Trail consisted of sand, gravel and rock with a few spots that required light bouldering (nothing too dangerous at all). I would recommend starting the trail in the early morning and taking it in the counterclockwise direction. If you go this way it will make your ascent a little steeper but a lot shorter since the first mile will pretty much be flat. Definitely a challenging trail with steep grades and at elevation (especially for this Deep East Texas boy), but if you want beautiful views of the city, and amazing rock outcroppings I would definitely recommend it. Also the Eye of the Sandias is very easy to spot on your left near the latter half of the ascent.

I couldn’t find the eye

Serious incline. Was planning on running it, but ended up mostly slipping and scrambling. Great leg workout though. Glad my dog is only 40lbs because I did have to lift her up onto a few boulders to make it through. Beautiful views.

I loved this trail. It was a little more difficult than I expected but I didn’t do much reading to prepare. I ran as much of the trail as I could and it took me about 1.5 hrs. Next time I’ll take my time and enjoy the wonderful views. Definitely would recommend.

See my recording for trail map additions. Note that the recorded trail does not pass the Eye of the Sandias, but it is easy enough to make loops that include it. The initial trail I took up crosses a wash, then parallels it, then ends up in it. There is some mild bouldering, less than the usual Eye loop. Before joining the main trail the path gets spotty at best but there are multiple ways you can get to the main trail. The up and over part (heading into the mountain from the Eye trail) gives great views of the city and the southern Sandias. There are several options off this trail that head towards the Embudo horse bypass trail and I am told they hook up with it.

We mis-read the description and interpreted "moderately trafficked" as "moderate difficulty." We were in for a bit of a shock. The trail itself provides some amazing view of the city below, as well as the Northern edge of the Manzanos. Whoever cut the trail had never heard of a cutback, and consequently the trails tend to head straight up and down hills covered in loose sand and scree. We were also quite surprised by a few short sections near the top that required light bouldering - nothing terribly dangerous, though we did have one water bottle that did not survive an encounter with a 6-foot drop. We took along a 15-pound dog. Though the trail allows "dogs on leash", passing a small mutt back and forth over bouldering obstacles was pretty challenging. Trail is actually closer to 4.83 miles according to Map My Walk, and took us 3 hours and 31 minutes. Obviously our pace was dictated by our 4-legged friend - a dachshund with very short legs. There is almost NO cover, so take more water than you think you'll need, and be prepared for windy conditions near the summit. Wear sunscreen, and go early in the day.