Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail

Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a shorter hike, but there is very little shade and a lot of elevation changes. If you aren't acclimated, I'd rate it Difficult.

There is a cutoff, visible on the Topo map, beyond the Needle (Rock gap) by about half a mile.

Overall moderate hike with some difficulty sections and precarious footing when descending.

* All recommendations say to go counter clockwise so I did. You should. Makes your descent longer and not as steep meaning your ascent will be a bit steeper.

* You need the map. You will get lost. Too many trail intersections at the beggining and end.

* If you follow the trail counterclockwise you won't miss the "eye"

* There is one spot you will be on all fours for a moment to go down and continue on the trail.

* NO SHADE so maybe early morning and non summer hiking.

* Good hike overall for locals or people who have spent no time in the southwest

l think it's 8 miles. Easy to get off trail especially in Boulder field. I would rate as Hard. Views were fantastic and also take extra water!

What a fun and challenging trail! I can see how people might get off trail. I had the app open to check our progress against the highlighted trail. It seems to be more than 4 miles. Bring more water than you think you need.

It is a steeper trail, easy to get off trail (do follow the map!), in full sun. Nice views, some fun rock formations and boulders.

The eye is a little less than halfway if following the loop counterclockwise. You are looking for a very large Boulder area that has an eye painted on the side of it.

I made a recording to show Eye location. Look for the RED dot where there's a break in my recording (southern portion of loop). Zoom in, it's a pic of the area. NOTE: The Eye is itty bitty in the pic! Enlarge the pic, you'll see the eye under the large Boulder with green moss toward the center. Enjoy the hike!

Hot and dry. If you like views of developed land, that’s what you’ll get. I would not do again.

I've been wanting to do this trail for some time. Finally, today we got out. It's a hard trail. We climbed all the way up and unfortunately did not find the eye or the blue feet. If anyone could help us out with tips where the eye actually is so we can find it next time, I would really appreciate it!

Love this trail!

I.was very excited to go to this trail but there's no markings and I got lost dozen of times. Some trails are not trails but it looks like it and some are trails but there's no way to figure out. I ended up going to way off trail and phone was going to die so I ran as quick as I could to find the way back. I didn't get to see the "eye", so disappointed.

It was a great hike!! But I would also rate it hard. I’m an active 22 year old female, but there is a lot of up hill terrain which really worked by legs. Awesome views, eye was not at what I was expecting, quite disappointed Lol. Also definitely longer then 4 miles!

Great hike. First time our in ABQ and my wife and I had a great time on this trail. Good views and friendly people. Took the recommendation of many others and went counter clockwise, great tip and highly recommend. We also got off the main trail once when I wasn’t hawking the map so make sure you do a good job verifying you’re land navigation.

I loved this trail! The view from the top and the eye made it completely worth it. However, this app has it listed as moderate, when I would rate it hard. I've done trails rated as hard and this is very similar.

Great hike. Saw 5 deer on the trail.

This is an amazing trail! I do this (or some close variation) twice a week. I'll usually hike/job up at a brisk pace ad then run down! The trail is not always clearly marked, and there are a lot of small offshoots, but it's not hard to know where you are as you basically can see the road and the parking area throughout the hike/run.

Quick fun trail run/hike in the Sandias. I did the trail counter clockwise as suggested. Trail well defined but not well marked, many off shoots that can get you off trail. I did this for the first time on a night run and lost the trail twice, so I recommend downloading the map. Steep sections with loose rocks and a few large boulders to traverse, but nothing crazy. The eye and view at the top are worth the hike!!

Terrain was a little rough.. very dusty and lots of sliding. Also pretty intense incline and got lost quite a few times at the beginning. Eye is very pretty though and great views of the other side of the mountain.

This trail was great. The difficulty surprised me a little. Starting out counterclockwise is advised. You can’t miss the eye, if you go counterclockwise. As previous reviews state, you almost have to follow a gps, or use the record feature on this app, as it outlines the trail really well, to find the eye. There are a ton of off shoots for other trails and the trail is not marked well. Definitely recommend it. My 8yo made it, no problem.

Susan Trumbo, IDK which direction it faces, but if you take the trail counter clock-wise (which I recommend sorta) you can't miss it. It is not to far from the peak and will be on the left side of the trail. When you are facing it, turn around and you see a "mouth" too. Now having said that here is the rest of my review about this trail. First, there are so many off-shoot trails that the trail is extremely hard to follow. Thankfully, we had our All Trails map downloaded and a full battery on the phone. There is virtually no signage! It seems there are trails going everywhere. I highly recommend some sort of device that will help you get back, whether a map and compass, GPS, or all trails map downloaded to phone with full battery. As far as difficulty, I will write this for both directions. First let me say, I'm an avid hiker who has not had the opportunity for a few months to hike in the mountains so I'm a bit out of shape. Next. I'm a short 65 y.o lady. Finally, I made it! :) When you go clock-wise, you have to climb some pretty good boulders to get to the very top and I'm assuming continue the trail. We didn't see anywhere else to continue this as as the loop as it is described and according to our downloaded map we were still on trail. Now, the down-side of doing the trail counter clockwise would be having to go down those same boulders. I think it was safer to go up for me. The only other issues that would make this trail hard was the scree. Parts of the trail are very steep with lots of loose, pebbly, rock (scree). It is very easy to lose your footing if you aren't careful. I certainly recommend good boots, hiking pole are very helpful, a first aid kit, a whistle, and plenty of snacks and water. If you are going in the winter, extra layers of clothes as you know it is colder and windier at the top. One last thing. When we reached to top, we found a young man who was there. He had fallen. He had lost a shoe, the least of his issues. He had taken a face plant and literally peeled the skin back from his entire chin and nose, and had cut his eye. I think his nose may have been broken. He had also peeled the skin back off his knee. He said he was fasting and initially wouldn't take any food, but I finally convinced him to do so. We patched him up (with that first aid kit) the best we could. He was coherent and there didn't seem to be any neurological issues (at least none caused by the fall) we did question what he was using. People just don't see the need in carrying first aid and a whistle. I don't care where I go. Even the kindest trails. I won't go without those extra two things. So I've told you all this, just to say. This trail is no joke and there are definite precautions you should take. It is a good trail with a good variety of activities. Just be careful. I would rate it on the higher side of moderate.

What direction does the eye face? Do you have to climb over boulders to stay on the main trail? There are a lot of side trails and poor signage. I’m going to try to find the eye again and could use a few tips.

This hikes nice to get out for a couple hours but not have to drive out of town. The terrain puts this at the high end of moderate. Steep inclines on loose ground. Having to traverse large boulders. The eye drawing is cool once you reach it. Poorly marked trail.

Some boulders make this fun.

Great little first hike for me. Awesome views at the top.

Monday, October 09, 2017

It was a difficult trek because of the lack of markings for the trail. We went up and back counter clockwise. The eye was cool at the top. If you think you're not going to get there, just keep going! We got lost coming down but had this app to guide us back to the trail.
Note: my Apple Watch said the elevation gain was 1,823 ft, and our total trip was close to 5 miles.

Monday, October 09, 2017

This trail was harder than expected since the elevation gain occurs quickly within the first 2 miles. It is also easy to accidentally walk off of the trail as the loop is not clearly marked. I would strongly suggest using the recording feature on this app so that you do not get lost. However, the views were great and the eye painting is pretty cool! I would still recommend this hike.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Saw a rattlesnake on this trail at the top! Scared me half to death but it didn't bother me- just warned me he was there and I briskly moved on!

Biggest complaint is that there is no way I could have figured out this trail if I wasn't using this app. It is NOT marked at all and there's lots of other paths to lead you astray. So I recommend bringing your phone fully charged!

Great views! Great workout! Very confusing at the top as to which way to go (I'm glad I didn't bring my dog because there's no way he could have managed it - he's a medium sized dog), but overall I very much enjoyed this hike and look forward to doing it again.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

I have done ''tis several time but there is a rock scramble at the top eastend that I avoid now that I am 69 I go counter clockwise as mapped to the eye backtrack and cut across at a trail that crosses a meadow 2/3 of the way up

Monday, June 12, 2017

Some steep parts, but great.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Better hike in early morning to beat heat, challenging but enjoyable as well, one point you'll have to climb over few rocks which was tricky since we brought a dog with us. Overall, made it and worth it!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Not a lot of trees and you gain elevation very fast. Would suggest doing this early morning or later in the evening

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Trail isn't marked very well and found myself off many times. The app helped with the map function to guide me back to the trail. Not much shade so I suggest it as a morning hike. I did it clockwise and it was fairly difficult in the ascent. Wear long pants, you'll be glad you did.