Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail

Eye Of The Sandias Loop Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cañada Village, New Mexico that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great little first hike for me. Awesome views at the top.

It was a difficult trek because of the lack of markings for the trail. We went up and back counter clockwise. The eye was cool at the top. If you think you're not going to get there, just keep going! We got lost coming down but had this app to guide us back to the trail.
Note: my Apple Watch said the elevation gain was 1,823 ft, and our total trip was close to 5 miles.

This trail was harder than expected since the elevation gain occurs quickly within the first 2 miles. It is also easy to accidentally walk off of the trail as the loop is not clearly marked. I would strongly suggest using the recording feature on this app so that you do not get lost. However, the views were great and the eye painting is pretty cool! I would still recommend this hike.