Embudito Trail to South Sandia Peak

Embudito Trail to South Sandia Peak is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Really enjoyable hike. Views along the ridge to the south peak were fantastic. The rocky stretch at the start is very hot with very little cover from the sun. If you're returning in the heat of the day, be prepared.

A beautiful and challenging hike. And a great workout with beautiful views. Also lots of critters to enjoy. Saw a red tailed hawk perched on a tree right beside the trail. Saw the most gorgeous horny road I’ve ever seen as well as a gopher snake. All in the same day! Overall a beautiful day on a beautiful mountain.

Beautiful scenery in the forest canyon and breathtaking views the at the top. Not an easy hike but well worth the trek. I will say there is something a little creepy about the rock caves here and there. Combine that with the cougar prints and bear activity and it gave me the heebies while hiking alone as the sun set.

Tough trail, lots of boulders but with nice breaks of relatively level sand. Lightly trafficked so you’re not passing or yielding to other hikers all the time

Great hike! Lots of views and super enjoyable!

Good clean trail......but not alot of thrills. ......good If your walking your dogs, or rehabbing an injury, or with young children........

Well maintained trail. Good for kids.

Steep but nice views up top

A great trail up and down the mountain. Some challenging points at the beginning/end of deciding the best way around the boulders in the arroyo. It's great to be back in the pines and scrub oaks that cover the whole valley between the ridges.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

good balance of inclines and level hikes

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Good times!

Friday, May 05, 2017

Hadn't been on this trail for a while but enjoyed it yesterday. It's definitely on the difficult side especially for the first 1.5-2 hours but most of the minor obstacles thin out after a couple of hours. I remembered​ to wear some light weight gloves. They will save your hands after holding on to rocks at certain places. Take plenty of water, energy stuff and make sure to leave enough gas in the tank for the return trip.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Completed this trail for the first time today. It's been on my list after La Luz and Pino. Took about 3.5 hours to get to the top including breaks and being ~sidetracked~ for about 30 minutes. If you have a great eye for your trail and a great sense of direction, you should be okay. However, if you are like me, it's a good idea to check the app periodically. There are definitely some confusing areas. Not my favorite when it comes to views, but overall, it was an awesome time and a killer workout. Check it out for sure!

Friday, March 10, 2017

First time in a long while since I've been hiking. Did the trail to try and build my legs back up and the uphill was very challenging but it was rewarding to do.

Monday, December 26, 2016

Barb Roberts is talking about Embudo trail Not Embudito Trail-directions are correct.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

There seems to be some confusion here....The Embudo trail starts at the top of Indian School (or the top of Menaul if you want to go an extra 1/2 mile or so) and the Embudito Trail begins north of the top of Montgomery.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

the views are beautiful. I have fun every time I hike this trail.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Around 2006, I drove to Embudo canyon late at night and slept in an arroyo because I was real depressed. The next morning I decided to walk up the trail to the top of the mountain. At the top, I got on this other trail I encountered, and it ended up going way southeast. By the time I got to the bottom, it was dark and I was in Tijeres. The only person I could reach to pick me up was my ex girlfriend. I didn't eat anything all day. She took me to Jack In The Box and I ate a ton of gross food. Ha.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

I love this trail! I haven't been able to hike the full distance yet, but one of these days!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Great and easy hike for everyone including the pups! Easily accessible and a beautiful place to explore

Wednesday, February 03, 2016

It was a fun first hike in Albuquerque!

Friday, December 25, 2015

Been hiking this trail since 1987. It's my favorite! Second favorite would be Piedra Lisa.

Saturday, March 07, 2015

Apart from the Piedra Lisa trail, this is my most favorite trail on the westside of the Sandias. mainly because of the scenery and lack of 15,000 hikers like La Luz and other westside trails like embudo that is nearby.

it is a rugged trail that requires scrambling in places.

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

The trail is worn down nicely but it's definitely a difficult hike. I'm reasonably in shape but the trail is very steep. After you get off the main trail and into the mountains, you end up having to climb over boulders a lot. We didn't go all the way, we turned around and it ended up being 2 hours round trip.

Friday, June 06, 2014

We came in the spring it's beautiful and steep this is a few bugs wonderful sights and smells and sounds and a beautiful view of the city

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

To get to the trailhead, take Montgomery east past Tramway, then turn left on Glenwood Hills. After the stop sign, turn right on Trailhead Rd. The trail up the wash is a nice, short hike to the spring, but they have closed it due to too much traffic. The Embudito trail (#192) goes further north, along the south side of the ridge there. I found a large rock at the top of one of the hills there that looked like bats lived there in the summer; going to check it out later on in the season.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Don't miss the left turn near the beginning of the trail marked with a very small sign. Otherwise you will hike up the draw, which is lots of fun scrambling up the rocks, but is slow and exhausting. Because of this we didn't make it to the crest and settled for the nice views at some outcrops about half way up.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm biased since I grew up on this trail.

Saturday, April 02, 2011

I did Embudito to Embudo 12mile hike this past week. The Embudito trail start's at the end Menaul, and is a lot like most of the foot hill trails, but then changes to a nice Mt trail. the trail goes up a small steep canine and sticks to the north side doing switchbacks. for the most part it's hard packed sand with some big rocks. after 45min to an hour (I didn't check th GPS to see what the mile-age was) the trail starts to get flat, and easy. About this time the the trail moves in to some trees and then a North/South canine that has some springs in it. the trail works it's way up this canine for an hour and a half then it meats up with 'three gun' and 'white wash' trails (2hr 30 min. 6 miles ish to here.) I terned on to three gun here.