Embudito Canyon Loop

Embudito Canyon Loop is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Albuquerque, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,204 feet Route Type: Loop

Great trail saw three snakes on the trail one was little scary, but it’s that time of year cold night with warm days. I understand there just sun bathing, but still watch out for them. Other than that it’s fun trail.

recorded Embudito Canyon Loop

Nice hike, but the canyon is a bit overgrown from the moisture this year.

beautiful trail! there is some climbing of rocks..

First of all, I’d like to thank the guy that gave me his Gatorade. I’m pretty sure he saved my life. So good to know there are some really great people out there. This trail is awesome, just remember to take plenty of water. It sure seemed a lot longer than 3.9. Also read the review about the 2nd fallen tree. We thought we went the wrong way and turned back.

Partial hike of the loop. Great place to bring the kids or work on some cardio. There we’re several spots where it’d be easy to get off the trail (as I did once). I appreciated the elevation gain and nice views of the canyon. Nice to see parents with kids on the trail during a weekday evening.

Would highly recommend water, sunscreen and starting early in the morning. Going clockwise, the way the trail directs, is also highly recommended, as going down the wash is shady and cooler as opposed to no shade and pounding sun with the first half, so a nice cool hike going down basically. Once you’ve reached the top of the loop there is a long fallen tree trunk where you’ll hit the wash and start to head downwards. You’ll hit another large fallen tree soon after, which will seem to be blocking the trail, but instead of going underneath it go to your right alongside the tree, and it will direct you to another trail heading down. Otherwise going underneath it will lead to large boulders that are hard to jump down. Also we took our Blue Heeler and had to pass her down on some parts heading down but we got through it. Wouldn’t recommend larger dogs for this hike. Overall, beautiful hike and a great workout. Will definitely be back!

A fantastic trail that, if you follow this apps directions. will take you through very thick brush, over muddy rocks, under fallen trees, etc. it's an interesting hike that I enjoyed very much, but I wouldn't bring small children or dogs.

Would be nice to have better trail markers to show where to turn for loop. Hiked 3.5 in then turned aorund

This was such a great trail. Substantial amount of shade ascending and descending. Will be going up again soon its was great.

Trail didn’t have much of a steep incline which was nice. There was little shade when we went in the middle of the day and it was really hot so we ended up turning around. Would like to come back maybe in the morning or evening to finish it though.

We went late in the day, and of course warmer then we had expected. Little to no shade when you first begin, brings you into a more dense area. Dont forget plenty of water. There's multiple little paths to explore. Be careful, there's a couple steep inclines.

This is a challenging loop through diverse landscapes, from a desert garden up a riparian stream bed to a beautiful ridge trail. As others recommend, hike CCW to ascend on wet boulders and descend comfortably with views. Note that the trail is unmarked and demands careful attention. I ended up bushwacking my way back from a few mistakes, adding an uncomfortable mile or so to an already rigorous hike.