Elliot Barker Trail

Elliot Barker Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Taos, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail took the small loop about 1.6 miles with my daughter. Great way to build up for other trails and a very nicely cleaned up trail.

We joined this hike mid-ridge coming up from the Ho Chin Ming trail near the Country Club access road. Moderate to Easy to Very Easy once on the ridge line. We saw marmot and many birds. There was a surprise herd of cows at the midway point. Exciting, no bulls - whew! Great for hearty kids.

We recommend using the app on this trail as there are some new logging roads that can make things confusing. We have done this trail before but got a little turned around but used the app to get back in track. The trail is not marked well. We did have a “cow encounter “
On the trail as a cowboy was herding at least 50 head of cattle along the trail. We stood still and tried to move to the side as the nervous mamas and babies passed us. The views are beautiful and we enjoy the trail , we’ll do it again.

Trail is beautiful, followed with the app. Rated it 3 stars because we bumped into three trucks on the trail. The people in the first truck made me feel uncomfortable, the second and the third truck the people seemed fine, just don’t understand how they got there and why.

**Dogs ARE allowed here** Great hike, though hard to follow the trail sometimes. Definitely needed the AllTrails map to follow. I was also glad I'd thrown my snowshoes on my back as when I needed them, I really needed them. Beautiful quiet trail, especially with the fresh snow!

Great spring hike, but do wish there was better signage along the way...thank goodness for snow and footprints to let us know we were still on the right path. If I was to do it again this time of year, I'd take my snowshoes.

Somehow only hiked 5.75. But enjoyable without being difficult. Saw elk and mule deer.

Absolutely loved this trail. So much to see, many vista views of angel fire, eagles nest, and trees! However in December it is easy to lose the trail so plan for extra time on the trail.

not very shaded. not a good trail for small dogs. more dead fallen trees than I prefer on a trail. not my fave in this area.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Easy trail with great views from high up overlooking Angel Fire. Writing this in Aug 17, the trail is clear and varies between single and double track. Dogs ARE allowed.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

loved it

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great trail and wonderful views. Use this apps pro map as there are many unmarked side trails that can be confusing.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Great views and a challenging hike without being overly strenuous. Afternoon. Rain did make the trail a bit slippery but worth getting wet for.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Good trail, best view is on Elliot Barker trail at the back of the loop, walk about 2 miles and it gives you an unobstructed view of Angel Fire.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Generally identifiable (if ill-marked) trail. Great views of the Angel Fire ski valley and the reservoir beyond. Excellent diversity in tree varieties - a very healthy forest. But, if ascending past the pond, be mindful to work counter-clockwise around it to re-find the trail. Do not be fooled by what appears to be a trail straight ahead. It leads into a brushy steep canyon, with no outlet other than to bushwhack up a tangled flinty slope.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

There are a lot of beetle kill trees on the ground. Kind of looks like apocalypse :(

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Nice hike once you pass the pond which is .25 mile from the rustic walk through gate you won't see anymore water so you may want to fill your LifeStraw here. The accent starts just after the pond. It's gradual, but you can feel it. There is more shade on the accent side and less on the decent side. Take sunscreen, water and hat for sure. Nice views on the decent side of Angel Fire and Eagle Nest lake.

Thursday, August 10, 2017