Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

El Cerro Peak is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Los Lunas, New Mexico that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,266 feet Route Type: Loop

As I approached the trail I got a call from my oldest grandson that he had been selected for tryouts with the local traveling baseball team, & he needed a ride. Lucky me! This was my first ride since surgery in 06/2012. I am way out of shape! It is a start, and come 06/2020 I will be back to pre-surgery form.

I would recommend going up to the peak on the south side of the loop and then just turn around. The trail has been moved in a couple places and the map route doesn’t reflect the changes. On the back side of the loop the trail goes either around a huge canyon, which looks like it would add on several miles, or up and across a steep sandy slope. At this point, the map tells you to go straight off the cliff. The view was nice. Lots of buzzards.

Decent trail, but frustrating. Parked where all trails told me to and the first mile or so of the trail was soft sand, going straight up. Not easy when you have ~50 pounds on your back and a dog in tow. After that the trail and views were incredible buuut then about halfway through the trail sort of cut out and I spent about a half hour attempting to pick the trail back up just could not find it. I ended up having to go back up the mountain after descending, resulting in a 6.5 mile hike rather than 4.5. Glad I brought plenty of water.

El Cerro Peak, and surrounding trails.

Tue May 07 2019

Hiked here with my dog while visiting the area. Made it 2/3rds of the way around and lost the trail so we head back. Locals call this hike “snake mountain” but we didn’t see any (thankfully)

Sat Apr 06 2019

Enjoyed this trail but the map did not follow the trail on the backside of the mountain at all!

Tue Mar 19 2019

It’s been a month and a half since I did the trail... really enjoyed this peak!This mountain has so many trails and different ways you can go! Really didn’t expect to see all the amazing things that I saw… Can be a bit challenging for new hikers is definitely an uphill huff and puff but is overall truly worth the trip!

Fri Feb 01 2019

The front side of the mountain is very challenging… I am new to hiking but not inexperienced either, however, depending on where you hike up it can be a challenge! Keep in mind that the sand surrounding El Cerro is extremely soft and not packed...Therefore, you tend to do a lot of extra work hiking up in certain areas. Overall the trail is awesome and has amazing views!❤️ There is no official trailhead on this side-of the mountain so keep that in mind.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Great trail with not a lot of people around! Not too hard but there were some pretty steep areas.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Once again I hiked up to the top. I hiked up almost a year ago, but this time I wanted to hike it in the snow. It didn’t disappoint. To see the snow overlaying the valley floors is so awesome. Finally a winter worth talking about in Valencia County!

Fri Aug 31 2018

it's a good workout if you take the steep sandhill part of the trail!

Sat Jan 13 2018

The hike up to the top offers a variety of views over Valencia county. The hike also has a unique challenge due to the trail being extremely sandy in places. Shade is limited so bring plenty of water and sun screen. At the top you can catch a 360 degree view of the valley and distant mountains.

recorded El Cerro Peak