Learn more

El Cerro de Los Lunas is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Los Lunas, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.7 miles Elevation Gain: 938 feet Route Type: Loop

The El Cerro de Los Lunas Preserve contains approximately 1,444 acres of natural open space.

Very nice trail. Some folks pay no attention to the signs and don't pick up after their dogs and we have run into horseback riders who pay no attention to the signs. The parking area is nice and the trail is well laid out. All in all a nice experience.

Good workout, but I kind of lost the trail once using the app. I was on a large trail but all trails said I was in the middle of a loop.

A great Trail with plenty of different options! There is no shade so bring plenty of water.

The trail is mostly complete but there are some areas of the AllTrails map are not accurate. Also, be very careful to watch for snakes.

Great trail with fantastic views. It does get hot, mornings are perfect though. I have seen rattlesnakes on the trail so be careful.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Love the stairs to the lookout point. Such an amazing view of our little town.

Wed Mar 13 2019

Truly becoming a fan of my backyard trail… The preserve is well taken care of, with amazing views and definitely can be a challenge!

Mon Dec 31 2018

Mon Dec 31 2018

harder to walk than I assumed. Nice views at the top. I'll be back for another go.

Sat Apr 07 2018

nice trail with great views and overlooks

Sun Feb 18 2018

grate especially because your only a few minutes from your house . when you are in the bowl you don't fill like your so close to town. grate view in all directions and I like the way you have sand, hard ground ,hills,and more than one trail to chose from.

Fri Jan 19 2018

Easy to find, nice getaway that is close to town. Several trail options

Mon Dec 25 2017

The trails are a bit too much soft sand. I felt like I was sloggy along a sandy beach. I prefer a hardpack trail ... However, the NM desert scenery was beautiful. December is a good time of year to hike these trails.

recorded El Cerro de Los Lunas