East Fork Red River Trail

East Fork Red River Trail is a 10 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red River, New Mexico that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,840 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is amazing! I saw little evidence of previous hikers. In fact it was so wild even the deer seem to be confused as to what humans are. I took this to Horseshoe Lake and then downloaded to a day pack to summit Wheeler Peak. It’s an easy walk to the lake, however to summit Wheeler be prepared to traverse some difficult terrain. The scree fields are rough. I rolled my ankle alittle bit but wrapped it up and continued on. The trail becomes hard to find in some areas and you will need to plan your route up the mountain. Once you get to the summit you will see all the people who come up from Taos Ski Valley. The people there were very surprised when they saw me and found out I came from the East. Apparently noone does that lol. I only had about 20 minutes at the summit before I had to get back. It’s a very long hike and you don’t want to be to high up when the afternoon rains hit. Took me all day from 6:30 in the morning to about 5:00 pm. If you take this trail make sure you have climbing poles, some sort of water filtration, and have your pistol ready in case you run across a predator.

This is a gradual and consistent climb from the trailhead to the junction of the Lost Lake trail, mostly in the shade, continuing to Horseshoe Lake ( 2.5-3 hours). From Horseshoe Lake the trail to Wheeler Peak is very exposed, above tree line and very steep in the beginning (1-1.5 hours to Wheeler). Views are spectacular, hiking poles advised above tree line, a 3L h2o hike, about 16 miles round trip. Loved it!

as far as this specific route shown on all trails, you will only see about two views out of the forest. continue hiking up to horseshoe lake for spectacular views. very crowded trail. trail is much longer than all trails says if there is rain in the forecast be very careful. we had a 20% chance and it rain for 8 hours like a hurricane and had 50 mile per hour wind gusts. no sleep and almost broke tent.

Backpacked to Horseshoe/Lost lake trailheads on 7/5/2019. The trail was in good shape and almost totally clear, only a couple short snow traversals that you could go above/below or through. We set up camp and then hiked to Lost Lake. On 7/6, we day hiked up to Wheeler peak via Horseshoe lake. There were still lots of areas with snow making it difficult to find the trail at times. Doable but be prepared. Definitely, recommend a GPS with a previous path as the NF trail on maps is outdated. Also did Simpson Peak, awesome time. On the way down it started to rain about 1p, which then turned to sleet/hail and got cold (guessing around 35-40 deg). 1-2" of white ice balls covered everything making it even more difficult to follow the trail. Got back to the tents around 2p, did our best to dry off and stay warm. Rain continued to about 9p. Hiked out early next morning.

This is me and my son coming down the mountain.

Dont do what I did and take the the right at the first fork in the trail. Even though the GPS matched we where off trail GPS and the other trail recording show following right next to the river. Dont do it stay left till the second for in the trail then go right. It took us around 8 hrs to go 3 ish miles.

Great time with family. Kids 11-14 years old handled it very well and enjoyed the hike up. We went in about 3 miles and came up on some snow. Crossing the creek early on is the best part!!

Wed May 30 2018

This is my favorite trail in Red River. The trail gives you access to both lost lake and horseshoe lake. At the end of the trail you will see a sign with direction to both lakes. I was told you can also access Wheeler peak from this trail. I plan on attempting that next year. This trail has some of the most beautiful views of any trail in Red River. However, the first few miles are wooded. The trail really gets beautiful after you cross the bridge. My favorite part of the hike was the end of the trail to lost lake. See my recording for pictures

Tue May 29 2018

Great hike, gradual climb the whole way. First 2 miles was a lot of dead-fall making it very slow going. Lake was nice and the views were amazing. Spent the night at the lake and the wind was at a minimum making the weather very enjoyable. Dogs also had a great time.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Beautiful trail, and great for beginners and young hikers. My 80 year old grandmother made it a mile down the trail with no problem. We hiked in July when the snow was clear, and there is relatively little traffic compared to Middle Fork trails. There is a lovely bridge a few miles in, and you can connect with Lost Lake, Horseshoe Lake, and Wheeler from this trail! I'm

Thu Mar 08 2012

Deep woods and easy 7 mile one way hike to bridge across river. Follows the East Fork of the Red River from trail head. Ditch Cabin is right at trail head. Good was to do a 360 from Trail Head to bridge, then up to Lost Lake/Horseshoe Lake Trail junction. Left on trail to Horseshoe then up to Wheeler Peak. You can then return to junction and continue to Lost Lake, Middle Fork Lake and back to East Fork trail head. A full day or make it an overnight with camping at Horseshoe Lake area. Lovely in Fall with the Aspens turning.