DSNA - Fillmore Canyon Trail

DSNA - Fillmore Canyon Trail is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Hike thru Desert Valley to Fillmore Canyon. NO PETS ALLOWED. After paying at the visitor's center, drive west on the service road to the trailhead at the La Cueva Picnic area. At about 0.15 miles you reach a fork in the trail. Take the left fork. At about 0.75 miles you will meet the junction of the Fillmore Canyon Trail on the left. Follow this trail to the end at about 1.1 miles. Enjoy the water fall but please remember it is a delicate area. After leaving the water fall return via reverse route - OR - continue on the Crawford Trail to the visitor's center to make it a longer hike.

Went out this morning in hopes of seeing the waterfall but there was very very little water. Definitely want to go back after we've gotten some rain! The hike was beautiful though, very scenic and well maintained trail. I would rate it as easy, not moderate. I would recommend spraying on some mosquito repellent lots of them flying around the bit of water. Not sure of the dog policy on this trail.

Waterfall was running and it was beautiful to see. It's not too often you see running water in the desert. The hike itself is not very challenging but it will give you a good work out.

I did this trail with Natalia my granddaughter and we enjoyed a lot. The water fall area at the end of the small canyon, is very nice, nice trees, nice plants. You can return on the same trail , but we used the one at the left of the water fall, very steep and not easy to climb. Once at the top we only walked down and intersected the same trail back to were we started. I think this is the best trail to walk with the family in the Dripping Spring area.

My husband and I did this with our 2.5 year old daughter and we enjoyed it!

Fairly easy trail to a small waterfall, many wildflowers along the way.

easy for kids to hike. my boys had an amazing time.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

We have visited this trail several times since 2014. We have hiked further than the end point shown on the route, going to the right, almost to the peak of the mountain (to the right of the Organ Needles Trail). Maybe we will do it to the top another time. The first time, when we got to the water fall by the little canyon, we went up by the trail (very steep) at the left of the water fall and reach again the Fillmore Trail at the top, very difficult section but nice experience. This was the only time we did this, the others, we took to the right or to the left at the beginning of the small canyon. I also did this trail with my two granddaughters including La Cueva Loop Trail. The trail is easy to hike going to the left of La Cueva. You can also climb the rocks and go thought the mountain and reach the Fillmore Trail to the opposite side of the La Cueva, my granddaughters and I did it, very pleasant! We stopped our trip at the little canyon where it is the water fall, beautiful place, my granddaughters liked a lot. I also enjoyed the water with them.

Saturday, May 07, 2016

Sunday, January 24, 2016

The trail is easier coming from the dripping springs side. Both sights are well worth the trip. Both springs were run running nicely today which made the trip worth it.

Friday, January 22, 2016

I enjoyed this short trail. The terrain is more varied than the Dripping Springs trail. Saw a group of four mule deer. Interesting to see the remains of the mine that closed at the beginning of the 20th century. Make sure you enter where the barbed wire opens. There's a beautiful surprise 0.3 miles up!

Monday, October 12, 2015

Did the trail as part of the whole Dripping Springs/La Cueva loop. It's a short hike & there wasn't much water ...but any day outside trumps sitting on the couch. If you have some free time then you could scramble about in some areas. I decided to climb up past the falls but had to return because of an incoming storm.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

I had some time to kill before my son's XC meet in LC so I quickly ventured up this trail! What a treasure! I can't wait to explore this area more! Great short hike!

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Great easy trail. Started at the visitor center and took the La Cueva trail to the Fillmore Canyon trail and the Crawford trail back to make a loop. It was about 3.5 miles. The water was flowing very well at Fillmore Canyon.

Monday, July 07, 2014

Easily accessed from the northeast side of the loop trail right by the visitors center. I went in early June and with the lack of rainfall this season the canyon was almost completely dry. Still a decent hike although the best time to visit the dripping springs area would be after some heavy rains. At the end of the canyon the trail continues to Organ Needle Peak.